SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Kel Tec KS7 First Impressions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kel Tec KS7 First Impressions Login/Join 
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted
Stopped by the gun store tonight and they happened to have just gotten in 2 Kel Tec KS7’s. Price was MSRP at $500, but that’s to be expected considering Kel Tec won’t have these in decent quantities for a while (knowing them), so I said why not.

I obviously haven’t shot it yet, but I just compared it to my KSG and want to share my thoughts. My KSG was buttery smooth right out of the box. The action is fantastic. The KS7 is not nearly as smooth. It’s not awful, but it’s not like the ball bearing feel of my KSG.

The weight savings and slimness of the KS7 does come through. It feels smaller, as it well should. Both guns balance very well as they’re bullpups, but the weight difference is noticeable.

The triggers on the two feel the exact same to me.

The carry handle/sight on the KS7 is cheap as hell. I’m fine with Kel Tec polymer, but this handle is literally like something I’d expect to find on my son’s Neef gun...maybe worse. It’s like some of my plastic suit hangers I have. I can’t say enough bad things about it. Razz Not exaggerating, it feels like it will break as soon as it hits something remotely hard. I’ll be tossing the handle and installing a KSG rail.

The forend on the KS7 is much better than on the KSG. I installed a hand stop on the front of the KSG forend so my hand doesn’t slip in front of the muzzle. However, the rear of the forend has nothing and sometimes, if I’m not careful, I can pinch the meat of my palm against the trigger guard/bold release when cycling the action. The KS7 forend is great and protects both ends.

It will be a great truck gun so I’m happy with the purchase. If I could only keep one, I’d keep the KSG for sure though.

Hope that is helpful to anyone thinking about purchasing one.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I'm actually contemplating the RDB-C, it is so damn compact. My RFB is great. I am tempted by the shotguns.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
Is the carry handle/sight user removable and replaceable? A mean, absent a Dremmel tool and permanent carry-ectomy?

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Loswsmith:
Is the carry handle/sight user removable and replaceable? A mean, absent a Dremmel tool and permanent carry-ectomy?

Yes, two screws and it’s gone. Looks to me like a KSG rail will fit on it perfectly.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the quickie review.
I'm with Arc, the RDB-C looks good.

But, if I were buying a KT today, I'd be on the lookout for a CMR-30.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15153 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
quote:
Originally posted by Loswsmith:

Yes, two screws and it’s gone. Looks to me like a KSG rail will fit on it perfectly.

Thanks! I'll wait for your range report but I think I might have found my new shotgun.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, they came out quick. Thanks for the review and the price is not bad,for now. I was hoping the hand/rail would be more sturdy as I kind of liked it overall. I love my KSG and have done the same thing, as far as adding a Magpul Hand stop to the KSG. I had a vertical grip but after hearing about horror stories with people having them breaking the rails and having their hands shot, the hand stop seemed like a no brainer. I wish Kel Tec would make it part of the forend/grip for the KSG (option/replacement)as they did with the KS7.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wish Kel Tec would make it part of the forend/grip for the KSG (option/replacement)as they did with the KS7.

Agreed, I'd buy one for sure.

As an aside, I just ordered a KSG top rail and the 2 screws to install it on the KS7. It was $40 ($30 for the rail, $2 for the 2 screws and $8 for shipping).

I'll confirm it fits and installs without issue when it gets here.

The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
Top rail for the KSG came in today. Fits perfectly if anyone is interested.

With the KSG

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Much better, aesthetically.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15153 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I wonder how a standard AR carry handle would look on the rail on that KS7?

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Press hard,
Three copies
posted Hide Post
So how’s the KS7 holding up?

A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Posts: 2200 | Location: VA | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I just held a KS7 today and my very first impression was the garbage carry handle. It’s great to know you can remove it and put the rail on it. I immediately wrote the gun off based on that carry handle but I’ll have to give it another look when I go back now. Thanks for the info.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the prices on these things from what I have seen, around $450.00 in my area. I might have to put it on my list of guns to get.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post