SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Surefire Warden
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Surefire Warden Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted
I need to get rid of the muzzle brake on my SCAR 17. It is entirely too concussive and too loud even for my MSA Sordin muffs.

Looking for an alternative (short of a suppressor which is in its future), I came across this Surefire Warden which apparently directs everything forward vs. out the sides. Seems as though it would work well.

Does anyone have/use one? Any other suggestions to solve the issue?

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
The Warden requires one of the Surefire suppressor mounts to attach.

I picked up a Euro flash hider for my 17 (what SCARs get in other markets and what comes on the 20), but never ended up putting it on. My intention was similar, reduce the side blast from the brake to be a little nicer to nearby shooters when at a normal range, and hopefully cut a bit of the noise off. I'm now waiting for my suppressor to come in and I'll be moving everything slowly over to mounts for the can.

Posts: 6029 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
A couple of my guys have them on 10 inch HK 416s. They do make a difference in the blast.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37083 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Best solution is a suppressor with the matching suppressor mount. Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Best solution is a suppressor with the matching suppressor mount. Wink

Yeah, just looking around, the Sandman L with it's matching mount look like they may be the ticket.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use the euro flashider and it cures most of the ills of the awful std. brake.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the OEM brake on the civie SCARs is a beast - even for the SCAR 16 / 5.56.

I recall shooting my 16 for the first time and having people on either side of me look over in shock.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
If you are planning on getting a Sandman suppressor you might want to look at the PYRO. They sell an INSERT that directs the blast away just like a Warden and when you want to see some fireballs take out the insert.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: David W,

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Surefire Warden which apparently directs everything forward vs. out the sides. Seems as though it would work well.

If it directs everything forward is it very effective as a brake?

Posts: 875 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: May 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Seeing that the gasses have already traveled through the brake baffles, I'd assume so.

I don't recall it as an issue when I shot mine.

QUOTE]Originally posted by Sparkyk:
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Surefire Warden which apparently directs everything forward vs. out the sides. Seems as though it would work well.

If it directs everything forward is it very effective as a brake?[/QUOTE]

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7177 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David W:
If you are planning on getting a Sandman suppressor you might want to look at the PYRO. They sell an INSERT that directs the blast away just like a Warden and when you want to see some fireballs take out the insert.

this

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post