SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Steyr Monobloc Rifle
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Steyr Monobloc Rifle Login/Join 
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted
Pretty interesting design as a one-piece hammer forged barrel and action. It will be interesting to see the MSRP (initial reports indicate around $5K), especially considering barrel longevity versus the design/accuracy. I like the integrated but interchangeable leather.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrJvBGEhsFE

https://www.steyr-arms.com/en/...fles/steyr-monobloc/

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting concept. The rifle industry is moving towards faster & easier barrel changes, with less need for an experienced gunsmith. Steyr's monobloc is a big step in the opposite direction.

Increasing accuracy is a noble goal, however how much more accuracy is required for hunting rifles? There are already reasonably-priced production rifles which shoot better than 1 MOA out of the box. Furthermore, hunting ammo generally doesn't use the most accurate bullets. At the distances most people should be hunting, clover-leaf-group, pinpoint accuracy isn't required.

For $5k a person can go to a number of high-end gunsmiths, choose quality components, and end up with a hunting rifle that can shoot 1/2 MOA. And still be able to change barrels and calibers quickly.

Of course there are gun owners out there who will never put even 1,000 rounds down the tube of any given rifle -- over the decades of their lives, and that of their heirs. So for them, maybe this Steyr works.

Posts: 7866 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a bigger fan of Steyr than most but this rifle to me falls into the Teutonic tendency to overengineer solutions to non existent problems.

I have to totally agree with Fritz "The rifle industry is moving towards faster & easier barrel changes, with less need for an experienced gunsmith. Steyr's monobloc is a big step in the opposite direction." I would add that I think it's actually a BAD idea.............

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Can anyone demonstrate that a single piece barrel and receiver is inherently more accurate than two pieces? If so, why? And not in theory, but in practice.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47394 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Most Steyr's can't be rebarreled by most gunsmiths, so it's not much of a change.

Posts: 21092 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was about to say, I remember reading about SSGs that cant be rebarreled. If youve got that kind of scratch for a hunting rifle I imagine it may not be that big of a deal to send it off for a custom rebarrel or to just buy a new one when you burn the barrel out. I think I'd go with a Blaser if I was in the fine Euro rifle category.

I will say I do have a Prohunter SBS in ~06 and its a very nice rifle.

Posts: 3043 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Yep the barrels are press fit to the actions, not threaded in. So to re-barrel you pretty much have to send it back to Steyr in Austria, at which point it's probably cheaper to buy a new one.

Posts: 21092 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
$5k! No thanks.

Neat idea, I guess, but dubious benefit.

Posts: 14121 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I think we can rule out "dubious" and just go to "no benefit."

Particularly for the cost.

I'd say these rifles are going to be bought by people who want something fancy. As previously stated, most people buying bolt rifles are unlikely to get close to the life of a barrel in their or even their childrens lifetime.

I can't think off the top of my head of other rifles made in this manor, and considering how long rifles have been made and how many different kinds there are, if this were a great idea it would be common.

So, it's not necessary or practical. It's not innovation, it's luxury.

Steyr makes a fine weapon. But this is silly.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
I thought the rifle looked interesting, not practical nor worth $5K. I’m in agreement with you guys but I would like to see other composite rifle stock manufacturers take note of interchangeable leather surfaces.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dakor:
I would like to see other composite rifle stock manufacturers take note of interchangeable leather surfaces.

Invest a few bucks, and I suspect you can have the option made for you by various sources. Probably get get leather options that match belt, shoes, or accessories.

Posts: 7866 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
Invest a few bucks, and I suspect you can have the option made for you by various sources. Probably get get leather options that match belt, shoes, or accessories.

Given your last comment, I guess you’re all pimped out with your firearms then heh Fritz?

posted Hide Post
This will be bought by the bently crowd, Rangerover crowd who buy the vehicle kitted out with a variety of sporting arms from some exclusive retailer..

A while back I remember a rangerover kitted out with perazzi shotgun with 410,28,20,12 barrels, a bolt action takedown hunting rifle ( was don't remember what model), cleaning kit cases, cleaning kits, soft case, all in a lockable drawer system in the back. It was some rediculous dollar amout like 550k british pounds.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anubismp:
I was about to say, I remember reading about SSGs that cant be rebarreled. If youve got that kind of scratch for a hunting rifle I imagine it may not be that big of a deal to send it off for a custom rebarrel or to just buy a new one when you burn the barrel out. I think I'd go with a Blaser if I was in the fine Euro rifle category.

I will say I do have a Prohunter SBS in ~06 and its a very nice rifle.

The SSG-04 and -08 barrels are threaded to the action. I have an 04 here getting its second Krieger and have put a Hawk Hill on an 08. I don't know much about their other models but do know some are press fit. Every SBS actioned one I've seen has been threaded.

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dakor:
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:

Given your last comment, I guess you’re all pimped out with your firearms then heh Fritz?

Thanks for asking. My competition bolt actions:
- OD Green cerakoted Defiance actions. OD Green because that's the way it came from GA Precision. Defiance because I wanted a tight action that would survive tens of thousands of rounds and multiple barrel changes.
- GAP camo McMillan stock, because that's the way if came from GA Precision.
- Polished stainless steel Bartlein barrel. Uncoated steel, because replacement barrels are a consumable component.
- Black Nightforce scope and rings.

At first I shot the rifle with the bare McMillan stock. When I changed scopes from a 50mm objective to a 56mm objective, I needed some form of riser to obtain a consistent cheek weld. I tried a black-colored stock pad from a pre-64 Winchester, but soon realized it didn't provide the best cheek weld. The LGS had a tan Triad stock pad, which works well. Thus, I have what is might be called a calico-colored rifle.

My belts are brown and black. The black one feels better, but the brown one carries the weight of magazines and holsters better. My shoes are gray. I normally wear blue jeans, but may shoot in khakis in hot temps. Not much of an ensemble, but serviceable.

I chose my Triad cheek rest from function over form. It has held up through the sweat, sunscreen, and wind-blown grit of 105 degree matches in New Mexico. Zero degree snowstorms in Colorado. Rain/sleet/snow storm in Nebraska, with 30+ mph winds, even getting kicked over onto a cowpie by competitor -- not my favorite memory. Survived party fouls from eating on the run between stages -- Pepsi, Gatorade, Cheetos, mustard, ketchup. A few times through the washing machine, and the stock pads are still good to go.