SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    “AR” Comparison: HK MR556 vs SCAR 16
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
“AR” Comparison: HK MR556 vs SCAR 16 Login/Join 
Picture of m499
posted Hide Post
Having owned a FDE SCAR 16 I’d say:
Pro’s:
- Looks COOL

Cons:
- Overpriced
- Felt “Clunky/Chunky” as compared to a basic M4
- Parts are proprietary
- Parts are hard to find
- Parts are expensive
- Doesn’t do enough better/differently to justify the cost over an M4 (USSOCOM agrees)

I was more happy the day I sold it than the day I bought it. I’d rather have the $2,800 for ammo, parts, etc.

With the H&K MR556, I really had to fight myself not to buy one when they first came out. The Pro’s and Con’s are similar to the SCAR except you can add the words: ”WWWAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY MORE” to the aforementioned lines about parts being expensive and hard to find. The BCG alone is $800. Again, most of the parts: Piston, Upper Receiver, HG’s, Bolt Group, etc. are proprietary. Also the lack of a chrome bore is a deal breaker especially for the premium H&K is asking.

You said the use of this rifle “would be for TEOTWAWKI, HD, only rifle in the stable, hand it down to kids”. Sorry but to me that rules out either of these two rifles. During the end of the world, zombie apocalypse you want a rifle that has 95-ish% parts compatibility with your average “battlefield pickup” M4… not one that looks cool and cost a ton of cash. Also your kids will thank you when in the year 2040, God willing, they can easily find a replacement M4 gas tube or bolt group at a gun show (or on the zombie battlefield) instead of hoping they hit the lottery and find non-existent parts for that HK or SCAR.

Posts: 2676 | Location: OH, USA | Registered: January 30, 2001Report This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
9-Hole Reviews did a practical accuracy test of the MR556 and he's got some pretty good things to say about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwnApGfS5sA

I only see a review of the SCAR 17 from them, so no direct comparison, though.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Report This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
The real reason to get something other than a DI AR-15 to sling 5.56x45 downrange is because they are different. Because sometime different is fun and cool - so an HK, FN, Steyr AUG, IWI Tavor, CZ Bren etc can be nice to have.

But yes, long term DI AR-15s, Glock 17/19/22/23/26/27s, 1911s, and Beretta 92/M9 variants are the safe bet when it comes to sustainability / parts / etc.

I have all the major parts for my SCARs and I know they'll last a long time, but I really enjoy the rifles. Not sure if I would pay what they are asking for them now (and no way I'd pay what they want for an HK), but I have them and will keep them.

Picture of m499
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
The real reason to get something other than a DI AR-15 to sling 5.56x45 downrange is because they are different. Because sometimes different is fun and cool...

Don't get me wrong, I'm well aware of & agree with that aspect of it. That's why I bought a SCAR in the first place. But I also had multiple standard AR's and various military clone AR's in the safe already.

I just don't think the SCAR or H&K makes sense as a possible first and/or "only rifle in the stable" as the OP stated. Especially with the various issues re: parts. Smile

Posts: 2676 | Location: OH, USA | Registered: January 30, 2001Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PorterN:
9-Hole Reviews did a practical accuracy test of the MR556 and he's got some pretty good things to say about it.

I really don't call that accurate shooting -- given the generous size of the targets, the quality of the scope, the ammo, the relatively stable shooting position for such large targets, and the minimal wind challenges.

The targets were supposed to be torso size, generally meaning 18" wide. They knew wind was 5 mph from the left, gusting to 9mph. Given my estimated input of 2500 fps MV and 3,000' DA, wind drift should be just under 7" at 5 mph and just over 12" at 9 mph -- at the 500 yard target. He could have held left edge of target and hit with every round at every distance.

Even if the shooter wasn't overly familiar with the Vortex reticle, it is accurate enough and reasonably easy to use -- no shots should have been missed low.

In a 3-gun match or a carbine division of precision rifle match, that would be stage with minimal time allowed (under a minute) and expectations for an easy 16 hits.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by m499:
I just don't think the SCAR or H&K makes sense as a possible first and/or "only rifle in the stable" as the OP stated.

Exactly.

craigcpa -- You appear to be new to the AR world. That's fine, we all started from somewhere. For your first and possibly only rifle, a quality DI AR15 is the way to go. If you choose not to listen to those of us with tens of thousands of AR rounds fired, so be it. But you're not going down the best path.

You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
The real reason to get something other than a DI AR-15 to sling 5.56x45 downrange is because they are different. Because sometimes different is fun and cool...

Don't get me wrong, I'm well aware of & agree with that aspect of it. That's why I bought a SCAR in the first place. But I also had multiple standard AR's and various military clone AR's in the safe already.

I just don't think the SCAR or H&K makes sense as a possible first and/or "only rifle in the stable" as the OP stated. Especially with the various issues re: parts. Smile

I'd have to disagree here and say if you wanted an "only rifle in the stable, that will last as long as possible on it's own" the SCAR fits the bill to a tee. The other option I had landed on in a past life was a Galil or 550 series Sig. Problem there is weight, cost, and not as modern.

The SCAR takes AR mags and ammo, the parts break less than ARs, and the barrel will outlast most any. Same for the BCG.

I understand the position of having parts commonality with the most common rifle in America, but for the 1 rifle to last as long as possible with no help, I don't see many things giving the SCAR a run. KAC makes sense here as their SR15s are made with the 20K round number in mind but parts compatibility becomes a problem here too.

The SCAR can be run hard in Full Auto and doesn't break. That tells me all I need to know. Years on an M16 lower taught me a TON, and if it works on FA that carries over to the SA world in longevity for sure. Clunky is up to the user, I don't feel that way about the 16, but I see your point when compared to an AR. And the SCAR will put your first 5 match rounds into an inch group or less generally. It's crazy and defies logic but I've done it over and over again.

Anyway, not all that important and an AR made with the higher quality stuff like CHF barrels with double chrome plating and maybe an LMT enhanced bolt or something like that are contenders I think the scar beats em out.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6957 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ll be another voice of dissent here.

I think the SCAR is a fine rifle as a one and only 5.56. I own many ARs and M16s, many other military pattern rifles in semiauto and fullauto. The SCAR is a great rifle. The form factor of the bolt makes for an almost lifetime bolt. And spares can be purchased through Midwest Gun Works, albeit more costly than AR parts. But the SCAR also doesn’t tend to break parts. My SCAR is a SBR with a factory 10” barrel and it serves a niche in my collection - a modern, easily suppressed, compact SBR with a side folding stock.

I love the AR. They are pretty much unbeatable in terms of user configurability, ease of armorer-level maintenance, etc. But the SCAR has merit and if one is looking to shoot something that is not an AR, the SCAR is an excellent choice.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2314 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Report This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:
I just don't think the SCAR or H&K makes sense as a possible first and/or "only rifle in the stable" as the OP stated.

Exactly.

craigcpa -- You appear to be new to the AR world. That's fine, we all started from somewhere. For your first and possibly only rifle, a quality DI AR15 is the way to go. If you choose not to listen to those of us with tens of thousands of AR rounds fired, so be it. But you're not going down the best path.

Yes, fritz, I’m an AR newbie, although I do have a 6920 (but never shot it). I was considering what to do for my kids who aren’t into firearms (maintenance, shooting, cleaning, etc.), but one day may need or want something. I only have one AR to leave so a second was on my mind. A duplicate 6920 will probably fit the bill, but with prices for those through the roof I was looking for something at a better value, including “no maintenance” and a better resale value should they eventually, maybe, decide to sell.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
If you want a rifle with some future resale value, you already have it -- a Colt 6920 that hasn't been fired. Keep it wrapped up and unfired -- voila, resale value. Investing in a gun for future resale really doesn't make sense for anything other than a full auto sear.

If you've had the 6920 for a while without shooting it, then you probably aren't into rifles all that much more than your kids. I see no reason to spend a minimum of $2500 on a rifle that collects dust.

You can get a serviceable AR15 for under $1,000 that will fill your needs, and will last for however many -- or few -- rounds your kids eventually fire through it. I won't go into brand options now, as there are threads after threads in this section asking "which AR15 should I buy?" You can shoot the bejesus out of such an AR15 and learn how to actually use a rifle. The money you don't invest in the rifle itself can be invested in ammo and training.

And BTW, having thousands of rounds of experience with an AR will assist you and the Wolverines in saving rural Colorado from those pesky invading rooskies. Roll Eyes

LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
Fritz Roll Eyes

If a person wants something other than a typical AR-15, the SCAR is at the top of the list. It's really a shame that a person starts a thread about interest in something other than a common AR-15 (especially when they already own an AR-15) that AR fan buois just have to chime in and shift the thread away from the original topic. There's a world of AR threads out there. You don't have to spew your hashed and rehashed bias in a thread that has NOTHING to do with rack grade AR-15s.

Ya Fritz, we get it. You love your specialized AR-15s. You love punching paper. You hate chrome lined barrels, you hate carbine length gas systems... Yadda... Yadda... Yadda...

Here's a hint... Not everymotherfuckingrifleinAmerica needs to be an AR-15. We get it... You and others in here love your AR-15s.

BUT...

Every slack jawed yokel in Merica has himself one of them thar AR-15s.

There are actually people who can appreciate the fact that other platforms exist and have distinct advantages over the AR-15. The SCAR is one of those. When you're changing a worn out barrel on your AR, a SCAR owner only needs to replace a gas jet and he's back online. When you're slipping your custom hand loaded match cartridges into a gage to make sure your match tuned AR doesn't choke, the SCAR owner is happily enjoying a day at the range with his ammo of choice. NO, the SCAR isn't a target rifle but it was never intended to be. However, among Mil-Spec ARs, the SCAR is typically more accurate, requires less maintenance and has a significantly longer service life.

For the love of God... People can choose to drive something other than an F-150 and they sure as hell can shoot something other than a boring, stale, everyone has one AR-15.

For resale value and something to hand down to one's heirs, ARs are a dime a dozen. SCARs will always be worth more for a reason... They're a better rifle.

I've got plenty of ARs myself, but it would be FUCKING boring as hell if that's all I had. It would be like eating oatmeal every fucking day for every meal for the rest of my life. Fortunately, I have SCARs, AUGs, HKs, Tavors, FNC, FAL, and I'm always looking for something new and interesting. AR-15s are neither new nor interesting.

There's nothing wrong with loving your plebeian AR-15, but to jump into a thread that specifically mentions two different platforms and espouse your AR fanbouism is just nonsense. Really Fritz, you're at your best when you stay in your own lane, which is boutique non mil-spec optioned AR-15s designed for punching paper and not much else.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post

But I agree wholeheartedly. Wink

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Rhino, two things: First, take note that I ignored everything else in this thread, and came right to you.

Secondly, tell me- are you familiar with the etymology of the word 'paparazzi'?

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Belgian Blue:
Fritz Roll Eyes

If a person wants something other than a typical AR-15, the SCAR is at the top of the list. It's really a shame that a person starts a thread about interest in something other than a common AR-15 (especially when they already own an AR-15) that AR fan buois just have to chime in and shift the thread away from the original topic. There's a world of AR threads out there. You don't have to spew your hashed and rehashed bias in a thread that has NOTHING to do with rack grade AR-15s.

Ya Fritz, we get it. You love your specialized AR-15s. You love punching paper. You hate chrome lined barrels, you hate carbine length gas systems... Yadda... Yadda... Yadda...

Here's a hint... Not everymotherfuckingrifleinAmerica needs to be an AR-15. We get it... You and others in here love your AR-15s.

BUT...

Every slack jawed yokel in Merica has himself one of them thar AR-15s.

There are actually people who can appreciate the fact that other platforms exist and have distinct advantages over the AR-15. The SCAR is one of those. When you're changing a worn out barrel on your AR, a SCAR owner only needs to replace a gas jet and he's back online. When you're slipping your custom hand loaded match cartridges into a gage to make sure your match tuned AR doesn't choke, the SCAR owner is happily enjoying a day at the range with his ammo of choice. NO, the SCAR isn't a target rifle but it was never intended to be. However, among Mil-Spec ARs, the SCAR is typically more accurate, requires less maintenance and has a significantly longer service life.

For the love of God... People can choose to drive something other than an F-150 and they sure as hell can shoot something other than a boring, stale, everyone has one AR-15.

For resale value and something to hand down to one's heirs, ARs are a dime a dozen. SCARs will always be worth more for a reason... They're a better rifle.

I've got plenty of ARs myself, but it would be FUCKING boring as hell if that's all I had. It would be like eating oatmeal every fucking day for every meal for the rest of my life. Fortunately, I have SCARs, AUGs, HKs, Tavors, FNC, FAL, and I'm always looking for something new and interesting. AR-15s are neither new nor interesting.

There's nothing wrong with loving your plebeian AR-15, but to jump into a thread that specifically mentions two different platforms and espouse your AR fanbouism is just nonsense. Really Fritz, you're at your best when you stay in your own lane, which is boutique non mil-spec optioned AR-15s designed for punching paper and not much else.

Yep.

I love the AR15, SCAR, SIG PE90/550/551/552/553, FNC, Steyr AUG, HK roller delay blowback family, B&T family, UZI family, IWI family, Swede K, beltfed MGs, precision rifles, etc. I own most of the aforementioned, others are on the short list. Pretty much the only things that don’t interest me are wood stocked sporting firearms.

One can be a collector and a shooter. All firearms mustn’t be decidedly utilitarian.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2314 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Hang on, guys. This is the Rhino Show. Let's hear from him. The OP has requested a lock of this thread because of the bickering and ass-clowning in it, but, first, we're gonna hear from Rhino.

Rhino- 'paparazzi'- what's the etymology of this word?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Rhino- 'paparazzi'- what's the etymology of this word?

"Etymology: A news photographer named Paparazzo (played by Walter Santesso in the 1960 film La Dolce Vita directed by Federico Fellini) is the eponym of the word paparazzi.[6] In his book Word and Phrase, Robert Hendrickson writes that Fellini took the name from an Italian dialect word that describes a particularly annoying noise, that of a buzzing mosquito.[citation needed] As Fellini said in his interview to Time magazine, "Paparazzo ... suggests to me a buzzing insect, hovering, darting, stinging."[7] Those versions of the word's origin are sometimes contested. For example, in the Abruzzo dialect spoken by Ennio Flaiano, co-scriptwriter of La Dolce Vita, the term paparazzo refers to the local clam, Venerupis decussata, and is also used as a metaphor for the shutter of a camera lens.

Further, in an interview with Fellini's screenwriter Flaiano, he said the name came from the book Sulla riva dello Jonio (1957),[8] a translation by Italian poet Margherita Guidacci of By the Ionian Sea,[9] a 1901 travel narrative in southern Italy by Victorian writer George Gissing. He further states that either Fellini or Flaiano opened the book at random, saw the name of a restaurant owner, Coriolano Paparazzo, and decided to use it for the photographer. This story is further documented by a variety of Gissing scholars[10] and in the book A Sweet and Glorious Land. Revisiting the Ionian Sea.[11] By the late 1960s, the word, usually in the Italian plural form paparazzi, had entered English as a generic term for intrusive photographers.[12] A person who has been photographed by the paparazzi is said to have been "papped".[13]

In other languages
A transliteration of paparazzi is used in several languages that do not use the Latin alphabet, including Japanese, Korean, Ukrainian, Russian, Thai and Hebrew. Chinese uses 狗仔隊, meaning "puppy squad". Khmer uses អ្នកប្រមាញ់រូប (anak bramanh roub)."

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yes.

"Little, buzzing insect"- flitting around in the air, dive-bombing the ears of people in its vicinity. Serves no purpose other than to annoy people.

You're an adult but you behave like you're 12. You seem to show up always to taunt your fellow forum members. I'm actually surprised- genuinely surprised- when I see a substantive post from you. Is this really what you want out of this place and the good guys who frequent it? Just to be a constant annoyance?

I don't know how many times I've tried to get through that thick skull of yours. You are welcome here. That is the truth. And I think you owe your fellow forum members a modicum of respect. That is also the truth.

And I'll tell you something else, Rhino- where I grew up, any man who behaved the way you behave here- egging on disputes and taunting your neighbors- would find their self on the receiving end of a good old fashioned Southern tune-up. You can take it for what it's worth, but in a physical community- as opposed to this one, which is virtual- and in a place like where I grew up, you'd get your clock cleaned PDQ.