SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Ammo storage in ammo cans
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ammo storage in ammo cans Login/Join 
Picture of creslin
posted
Years ago when I was new to guns, a buddy told me that you should never have loose ammo hanging out in a metal ammo can. He said that's how you get corrosion.
Always keep the ammo in the cardboard box (or whatever other container it came in) when you put it in a metal can.
Is this true?
Or can I just drop a shitload of 5.56 or 9mm loose into an ammo can?

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1523 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
The cardboard boxes are more likely to retain moisture (and thus transfer it to the cartridges) than metal is. If you're concerned about corrosion, get a dessicant pack and drop it into the can along with the loose ammo. As long as the o-ring around the can's lid is good, it will keep any additional moisture from getting in. The dessicant pack will absorb any moisture in the air that's already in the can when you seal it.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I bought about a dozen new old stock 50 cal cans at a surplus store years ago for $6 a pop if I recall correctly. Not a scratch on them and perfect gaskets. My sons confiscated about half of them from me. I always keep ammo in the packaging they came in because I like to date the packaging and stack them up in the ammo cans. I know I’ve got some 8 year old 9mm in one of them.

If the can is in decent shape and you are storing it in a cool dry place you should be fine with loose rounds in it.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8504 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
From what I’ve read here, storing ammunition loose in military ammo cans is very common. Friends do it routinely, and I’ve seen major vendors sell it that way. I’ve never seen or heard of corrosion developing for that reason, and must ask why being loose rather than in boxes would make it more likely to develop. As stated above, cardboard is more likely to hold corrosion-causing moisture than if the rounds are loose.

If the cans were going to be subjected to rough handling or vibration from being hauled around in a vehicle all the time then the cartridges’ being boxed might protect them better, but it’s not something I would worry about, or do worry about, in normal storage. I sometimes buy ammunition in bulk that comes in heavy plastic bags inside cardboard outer boxes. When I transfer that bulk ammo to cans I leave it in the bag to avoid damage to the paint inside the cans and to keep the paint from being transferred to the rounds, but that’s probably an excess of caution.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
In 2002 I was just getting started with guns and came here for my info (very lucky in retrospect). I purchased Winchester white box from Walmart. People here suggested storing it in ammo cans after making sure the seals were good.

In 2013 I moved and was organizing my guns and ammo for their new home. Some how I still had one ammo can with White box 9mm in it that got lost behind all the other stuff. For a time between moving in to the new home it was stored in a garage here in CT which is not good as we have temp changes that cause condensation and rust.

I did not use any desiccant in the cans.

The ammo, over 10 years old was perfect. The cardboard box was still stiff as new and no signs of mold or humidity.

I don't now how loose packed ammo would fare but I wouldn't be to worried about it.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4787 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I've never had any issues with loose ammo in an ammo can developing corrosion, and ~95% of my ammo is stored loose in cans.

Militaries have been utilizing metal or metal-lined ammo cans to store loose ammo, usually without padding or cardboard boxes, for over 100 years now. (Since before WW1.)

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
I've never had any issues with loose ammo in an ammo can developing corrosion, and ~95% of my ammo is stored loose in cans.

Militaries have been utilizing metal or metal-lined ammo cans to store loose ammo, usually without padding or cardboard boxes, for over 100 years now. (Since before WW1.)

Same here. I reload, so there are no factory boxes...my "standard load" ammo gets dumped into cans. If I'm cooking up something special, it goes into a ziplock bag that gets labeled with the load data, then stuck into the ammo can containing the appropriate caliber. Never had a problem with corrosion...but the cans are also stored in an air conditioned house.

Posts: 8413 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been using ammo fans for decades primarily with boxed ammo without issue. I prefer boxed as it keeps either my load data with the ammo if reloads, or lot numbers with factory ammo, in case of any functional issues or recalls.
Some ammo bought already in cans has been in the cans for over half a century without problems

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Never had a problem with it. Used to buy 1000s of rounds loose in ammo cans from Knob Creek etc. Never seen a problem even with old surplus ammo.

Nothing better than a full ammo can of loose ammo. It's my scrooge mcduck money bin.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6957 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback folks!

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1523 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Some of this stuff that bothers the fools is a surprise to me. Guess I've been into guns for only about 60 years now. I'm thinking a home you can live in is dry enough for ammo in the original boxes. In the distant past I would stop at farm sales (the rural equivalent of a yard sale or garage sale). Back then if I saw a box of old 22s or whatever, I'd buy it. Those days are long gone, but not the ammo. It still looks good to me, but I guess I'm not discriminating enough. Ammo in the basement, the only safe place, seems to be doing just fine.

There are male equivalents of Karens. I'm going to guess its due to lack of experience, as in folks just getting into guns and ammo. Guess its our duty to educate them, if they are receptive. If not, they have no business preaching to the rest of us, particularly those of us who have lived the life for decades and decades. But it won't stop them.

OK, a box of ammo in your closet, or your fathers closet or even grandfathers, stored in such a way that the cardboard hasn't melted to paste, will probably be just as good today as when new. Ammo stored in a milsurp ammo can will also be as good or better than any stored in cardboard. I store mine in the basement because its heavy. One of my sons swears to never again tote my ammo up the stairs. I think I hurt him 10 years ago when we moved. Bet he'll turn into a liar when I croak and some of it becomes his.

I have and have fired 1930s ammo I've bought at yard, farm, and gun shows. Even the ancient stuff goes bang. Even the rounds from the late 1800s goes off, but not too comfortable because its mostly black powder. I assume none of the above was stored the way Karen's want it to be. Just in a box in the closet.

Its ammo, not meat or cheese. The little round metal containers were designed to last, and they do a good job.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
My long term storage ammo is all vacuum sealed and then placed into ammo cans.

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I store ammunition inside military surplus ammo cans, but the ammunition is in its original packaging. All cans get at least one dessicant pack. Depending on where the can is stored, I have some cans lined with the brown paper which is commonly used for packing/shipping items. This is for additional insulation of the container.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I load loose Reloads in ammo Cans....it doesn’t bother the rounds...the few boxes of factory ammo is also in metal ammo cans....

It’s not rocket science...either in cardboard boxes or not...as long as the gasket is not broken, it will be fine.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I store ammunition inside military surplus ammo cans, but the ammunition is in its original packaging. All cans get at least one desiccant pack...

Same here, and I check the aluminum desiccant packs every three months and recharge each one whether it needs it or not (usually not). Most of the cans are in the air conditioned basement. Some are in the bedroom closet next to my safe.

Is it necessary? Probably not, but it 1) doesn't hurt the ammo, and 2) gives this old retired guy something to do.

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...014543923?pid=799452

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post