SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Removing the Rear Site on a new Mini 14
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Removing the Rear Site on a new Mini 14 Login/Join 
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted
Has anyone had any difficulty removing the rear sight on a 580 series? The supplied allen wrench is stripping. Cant get that mounting screw to budge.

Heat gun, direct flame, 800degF soldering iron tip for 30min. Nothing is getting through this thread locker. I've tried cutting slots in the screw head to get a flat blade screw driver on it. Nope, wont budge. Now the rear sight is destroyed, and I cant remove it. Guess they did their job making sure it wouldnt come loose.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you throw up your hands and send it back, Ruger will want the whole gun, preferably in original box, but wrapped so manufactures info is not visible.
I had the same issues on 2 guns. One was resolved at my dealers shop with a torch and a 230 pound guy. The other got cold bluing and I lived with it.

Posts: 1071 | Location: Cary NC | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post