SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Anyone actually lay hands on a Remington V3 Tac 13?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone actually lay hands on a Remington V3 Tac 13? Login/Join 
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted
I'm interested in one for an SBS.

I called Remington yesterday to see if the birds head grip can be swapped out for a regular V3 stock (after Form 1), and the customer service guy didn't seem to have much comprehension about what I was talking about. He asked the manager, I assume, and said, "no, we don't make a product like that".

Obviously, I'm a little dubious about the answer and it sounds like the manager just didn't want to answer the question for CYA purposes.

Looking at photos, it seems that the bird's head grip has some adapter at the rear of the receiver. On a regular V3, it looks like there's just a thin plate at the end of the receiver where the stock attaches.

Can anyone confirm or deny this? I've never actually seen one of the Tac 13s in person, nor even a regular V3 shotgun.

Just looking at pictures, it seems pretty straightforward, but not handling either, I can't be sure, and am not going to invest that much money on a hunch.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Press hard,
Three copies
posted Hide Post
Yep, pulled the birds on mine to see what was going on. There is an adapter, didn’t measure it but from memory it’s about 1/4” or so thick, it allows 870 stocks to mount. This is my first experience with the V3 and was surprised that the guide rods and springs are retained by adapter plate.

Not sure if a standard V3 stock would mount but I don’t see why not. You will need that thin plate to retain the rods/springs.

A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Posts: 2200 | Location: VA | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So is the birds head on the Tac 13 the same as on the 870 version?

So that plate on the Tac 13 receiver would take an actual 870 stock, you think?

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Press hard,
Three copies
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
So is the birds head on the Tac 13 the same as on the 870 version?

So that plate on the Tac 13 receiver would take an actual 870 stock, you think?

Absolutely it is the same. The adapter plate mated perfectly to a Magpul 870 SGA stock, completely separate from the receiver of course. The bolt length would be the only question that needs answering once the NFA paperwork is complete.

A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Posts: 2200 | Location: VA | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, excellent. That Magpul stock is definitely what I'd go with.

Do you intend to just cut the bolt to the correct length?

Press hard,
Three copies
posted Hide Post
When I get to it I’ll probably just pick up a few longer bolts than what comes with the SGA and fit it up. It comes with a 1.75” if I recall and the thread pitch is 1/4x28.

PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
I can only chime in to say that, yes, there is a thin adapter plate at the back of the receiver where the butt stock is attached on my V3 synthetic sporter. It's maybe 3/16"ish thick.....

0:01

Posts: 4200 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All great info.

So, yes, despite what Remington says, it seems like you can just use a regular V3 stock on the Tac 13 if you have that regular thin plate, but the plate that's already on the Tac 13 actually lets you use 870 stocks.

Thanks everyone.

Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
Wait, so does this mean that a SB Tactical Brace for an 870 would work on one of these (he said hopefully with a touch of glee in his voice)?

'Cause that would be awesome since in WA we can't have (SBSs(es?)) a(n?) SBS.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think that's ATF kosher.

These "shotgun things" are classified as firearms, not handguns. The stabilizing braces are for handguns. I'd hazard a guess that putting one on a "firearm" would create an illegal AOW or DD. Probably a DD.

I'm sure there are more NFA savvy people who can clarify, or you could write ATF tech branch a letter and ask, but I think you're SOL.

Press hard,
Three copies
posted Hide Post
Mesa Tactical told me they’re working on a V3 specific adapter for braces and hope to have it out this summer.

Remington offers the Tac-14 with a brace from the factory as a non-NFA item, Tac-14 arm brace, so can’t see why the Tac-13 will be any different.

Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Remington offers the Tac-14 with a brace from the factory as a non-NFA item, Tac-14 arm brace, so can’t see why the Tac-13 will be any different.

I believe it has to do with the legal jargon surrounding the shockwave, tac-14, et. al., grip. When you fill out a 4473 on one, and when your dealer logs them into their bound book, they are considered a firearm. Not a handgun, nor rifle. Tac-14s with the brace leave Remington as handguns by definition.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Remington uses the MESA adapter....

quote:
Originally posted by ceptor781:
Mesa Tactical told me they’re working on a V3 specific adapter for braces and hope to have it out this summer.

Posts: 3483 | Location: Illinois | Registered: September 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post