SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    what FA SMG to get?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

what FA SMG to get? Login/Join 
Picture of Kampfhamster
posted
It's about time I get a full auto SMG.

Prices are really now right now.

Sterling SMG is about 1'000 bucks.
Uzi's about the same.

Paperwork is not the problem, but to find a place that lets me shoot it in FA.

Not sure right now. I already have a B&T TP9 and an MP5, both in semi so I'm not really interested in anything newer.

What would you get, if you guys could easily?

The citizen watches the watchman, not the taxpayer.

Posts: 765 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: September 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Based on the options you've already indicated (Uzi and Sterling) and your mention of the TP9 and MP5, I'm guessing you want something in 9mm?

If so, assuming money/availability were no object, and not counting modern SMGs, my choice would be a Beretta M1938A. (The original prewar/early war model, not the later, cheaper 38/42, 38/44, postwar Model 4, etc.)

Widely held to be one of the best and highest quality SMGs of WW2 (and one of the few things that Italian arms designers of the period got right). It was highly regarded by members of both sides of the conflict, and pictures abound of not only Italian soldiers with them, but also of German and Allied soldiers using captured/seized examples.

Roy Dunlap, a WW2 American Ordnance Officer, wrote in his excellent memoir "Ordnance Went Up Front":

quote:
"No one ever bothered with any other kind of submachine gun if he could get hold of a Beretta M38, and keep it. The New Zealand boys especially loved them. Even the Germans liked it, and they hated to admit anything was good except their own stuff."

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
$1000, Really?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kampfhamster
posted Hide Post
yes, sure

nobody wants them. It means registration, special permits (easy to get) and annual control visits by the cops.

http://waffen-joray.ch/automaten

Posts: 765 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: September 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kampfhamster
posted Hide Post
@RogueJSK: Beretta would be cool.

And yes, 9mm would be nice. Don't really like adding another caliber to my collection.

Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
oh, now I see where you are. Good luck.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kampfhamster:
@RogueJSK: Beretta would be cool.

And yes, 9mm would be nice. Don't really like adding another caliber to my collection.

A 9mm AR wouldn't be bad.
A 5.56 AR wouldn't be bad if you already had 5.55 in your inventory.

Beretta, Styer, MPX, you have an MP-5, what about an MP-7?

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8335 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kampfhamster
posted Hide Post
No newer stuff. MP7 is impossible to get.

9mm AR SMG doesn't take my fancy. Also they're rare and hard to get.

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
good availability in Switzerland?

Mp-18
MP 38 or 40

MP 34

PPSH

Lanchester

everyone should own a Thompson.... but that's 45

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I could have something with a fun switch no older than a TP9 I'd go with one of the following in no particular order.

C96 M712 Schnellfuerer

MP18

Autosear for the MP5? I'm not sure how that goes in CH

Thompson

Sterling

PPSH

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I started with an HK registered sear and an M16 and bought several hosts for the HK and uppers for the M16 ranging from 22LR to a MCR beltfed and 300AAC. The beauty of these are that you aren’t limited to any particular caliber.

I’m getting older and even in the short time I’ve had them they’ve doubled in price (because of our stupid laws) ... anyway, I’ve been thinking about selling one but I can’t decide as I really like both

Then about 2-3 years ago got a M11/Nine ... it’s just okay. It’s 9mm & has more recoil than either of the other 2, not that it’s a lot but the others are more controllable.

I enjoy them all in all their configurations, but I think if I could have just 1 in one caliber it would be the HK with the 33 host (223 in an 8” barrel. But the MP5SD is a lot of fun and hearing protection isn’t necessary.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5706 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I understand correctly, you can get either a Sterling or Uzi for $1,000.00. If that is correct I would buy both. In the USA, you would be lucky to get a MAC 10 for $6,000.00. I have no idea if $1,000.00 is a lot of money over there or not. But I have never regretted any money I spent on guns, I only regret some of the guns I could have bought, but didn't.

Posts: 618 | Location: northern VA. | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
I think the OP is just rubbing our noses in it... Big Grin

What are the immigration laws like there... Confused , might be time to move!

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2914 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Swedish K. Super smooth shooting. Can suppress relatively easily. 36 round stick mags, 50 round Suomi coffin mags, or 71 round Suomi drums. It’s awesome; truly my favorite of the older SMGs.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2318 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
my choice would be a Beretta M1938A.

Mine too, I missed an opportunity to get one about 3 years ago...

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4617 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
How about a Beretta PM12? I’ve always had a thing for them for some reason.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5576 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Austin228
posted Hide Post
I would get the Uzi in 9mm, always wished I could have a real one.

Posts: 1471 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: March 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JoshNC:
Swedish K. Super smooth shooting. Can suppress relatively easily. 36 round stick mags, 50 round Suomi coffin mags, or 71 round Suomi drums. It’s awesome; truly my favorite of the older SMGs.

A great gun with a terrible stock. Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by Lt CHEG:
How about a Beretta PM12? I’ve always had a thing for them for some reason.

OP's local gun shop has a Taurus MT-12AD for sale, which is a Brazilian clone of the Beretta PM12. Only approximately $1200.

http://waffen-joray.ch/automat...aurus-mt-12ad-detail

Taurus bought out Beretta's Brazilian division (Indústria e Comércio Beretta S.A.) in the 1980s, acquiring the tooling and rights for the M92 pistol and PM12 SMG in the process.

The MT12 and PM12 saw extensive use with the Brazilian military and police.

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by JoshNC:

A great gun with a terrible stock

The Swede stock is a bit unsightly, but it feels fine when you’re shooting.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2318 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
An MP-40 would be nice, or a Thompson.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post