SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    what FA SMG to get?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

what FA SMG to get? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P210:
An MP-40 would be nice, or a Thompson.

Thompsons are awesome. Until you shoot one. I frequently get to wanting a nice war time 28, then I shoot one and I lose all interest.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2314 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JoshNC:
quote:

Thompsons are awesome. Until you shoot one. I frequently get to wanting a nice war time 28, then I shoot one and I lose all interest.

Why? What causes you to lose all interest?

Posts: 617 | Location: northern VA. | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ironworker:

They are heavy, unergonomic, and clunky. The 28 weighs around 10 lbs unloaded. That’s a heavy SMG. I will likely still pick up a transferable wartime 28 at some point to round out my collection.

"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2314 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ironworker:

They are heavy, unergonomic, and clunky. The 28 weighs around 10 lbs unloaded. That’s a heavy SMG. I will likely still pick up a transferable wartime 28 at some point to round out my collection.

I don’t think Kampfhamster is interested in something to carry around or use on daily basis, but like you is wanting to round out a collection. Both the Thompsons and MP-40 are iconic and likely to be obtainable in his country at relatively reasonable prices in decent condition, as would a Sten for that matter.

Posts: 6955 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My first mg was an Uzi that I converted myself.
Had a few others over the years but the Uzi is my favorite.
Best comment I ever read about the Uzi....
"Built and handles like a brick. Way too heavy. Ergonomics suck and the grip feels like a 2x4. I love the UZI."
All that being said, I've shot a friends Sterling and if I had to pick, I'd go with the Sterling....first, and then an Uzi!
Here's mine.

Everybody knows that the dice are loaded

Posts: 367 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kampfhamster
posted Hide Post
It's been a while since I have fired a SMG, but the Sterling and the MP40 were among the smoothest running guns.

I'd say the Uzi is overrated, but still a very very good gun, that I consider buying just for it's simplicity and history.

The citizen watches the watchman, not the taxpayer.

Posts: 765 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: September 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLC762:
My first mg was an Uzi that I converted myself.
Had a few others over the years but the Uzi is my favorite.
Best comment I ever read about the Uzi....
"Built and handles like a brick. Way too heavy. Ergonomics suck and the grip feels like a 2x4. I love the UZI."
All that being said, I've shot a friends Sterling and if I had to pick, I'd go with the Sterling....first, and then an Uzi!
Here's mine.

Nice Uzi. I have two full-size UZI SMGs and I do love them. They are sort of heavy (still about half the weight of a Thompson) but very smooth shooting once you speed them up a bit with a buffer. Mine are mostly relegated to the back of the safe, as I prefer my MP5 SMGs for shooting. The Sterling is very smooth and has the very best SMG magazine design ever made in my opinion. I follishly passed up a transferable Sterling at a crazy good price around 2005. I would still choose the Swedish K over a Sterling. Just as smooth with the option to run drums.

Picture of Kampfhamster
posted Hide Post
Or I take the plunge and go for something bigger...

Including all the spare barrels, tools and accessoires that I would want it would be over 10k though.

Posts: 765 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: September 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
From your link, I'd choose the Sig 553.

Posts: 1540 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kampfhamster
posted Hide Post
Already have a 553LB, but in semi, no need for another one in FA

posted Hide Post
Definitely go for the 240.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I've shot a Thompson and I liked it. I felt it handled recoil very well and the cycling speed was just right where you could easily keep it on target for 10 +/- round bursts. A regular at the range owns it and happened to be next to me, I asked him if he could shoot it, and his response was yeah, you buy the ammo and load the magazines. I was so excited that I didn't notice whether it was heavy or not...... The only other SMG I've shot was a .45 MAC 10, and in comparison that was an utter handful.

If only I was in the OP's situation......in 9mm I'd probably go with an MP 5, or an UZI. I like how you can change calibers with the same receiver and shoot .22 LR if you want to. A COLT AR in 9mm would be fun too (I've shot one of those in 3 round bursts).

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's always the American 180, 22 LR full auto

You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred! - Henry Cabot Henhouse III, aka "SuperChicken"

Posts: 132 | Registered: March 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
With all due respect, why are you trolling?

Your laws aren't the same as ours, and unless we live there, how can we provide an accurate response?

About all we know is cheese and "neutrality."

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lancaster!!!!!!

If not a Beretta M1938, Grease Gun, or a Walther MPL/MPK.

Posts: 4022 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kampfhamster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
With all due respect, why are you trolling?

Your laws aren't the same as ours, and unless we live there, how can we provide an accurate response?

About all we know is cheese and "neutrality."

I admit, there's a bit of trolling involved. Wink

The situation over here is just way different, but we can still get everything we can pay for. It's still an interesting question, don't you think?

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 357fuzz:
Lancaster!!!!!!

Methinks you mean Lanchester. (There's no such thing as a Lancaster SMG... Although there's a Lancaster bomber.)

But yes. Lanchester. Because the only thing better than a full auto 9mm is a full auto 9mm with a 17" sword bayonet. Big Grin

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
A great gun with a terrible stock

The Swede stock is a bit unsightly, but it feels fine when you’re shooting.

I had the chance to fire one ~15-20 years ago. (Caveat: I'm about 80% sure it was a Swedish K, but it may have been a S&W 76, the American-made quasi-clone.)

The stock was quite flimsy, and had so much side-to-side play that the gun flopped around laterally when firing while shouldered.

But that may have just been that one example, if it had something like an overly worn stock mechanism.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK

I had the chance to fire one ~15-20 years ago. (Caveat: I'm about 80% sure it was a Swedish K, but it may have been a S&W 76, the American-made quasi-clone.)

The stock was quite flimsy, and had so much side-to-side play that the gun flopped around laterally when firing while shouldered.

But that may have just been that one example, if it had something like an overly worn stock mechanism.

Sounds like a s&w 76 or MK 760. The 760 has one of the flimsiest stocks I’ve ever handled. The Swede K stock is fine and locks up pretty tight.

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
quote:

I've shot a Thompson and I liked it. I felt it handled recoil very well and the cycling speed was just right where you could easily keep it on target for 10 +/- round bursts. A regular at the range owns it and happened to be next to me, I asked him if he could shoot it, and his response was yeah, you buy the ammo and load the magazines. I was so excited that I didn't notice whether it was heavy or not...... The only other SMG I've shot was a .45 MAC 10, and in comparison that was an utter handful.

If only I was in the OP's situation......in 9mm I'd probably go with an MP 5, or an UZI. I like how you can change calibers with the same receiver and shoot .22 LR if you want to. A COLT AR in 9mm would be fun too (I've shot one of those in 3 round bursts).

I have a M1A1, and like it,

shoots very well, and controllable once you get used to it and use a hasty sling (short bursts are your friend)

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post