SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Retiring soon. Told to order a rifle, carbine, pistol up to $2000 as a retirement gift.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Retiring soon. Told to order a rifle, carbine, pistol up to $2000 as a retirement gift. Login/Join 
The Velvet Voicebox
posted
Mrs Cliff says I can order one of the above up to $2000. Optics can be included. I'm lusting after a 12 to 14 in barrel pistol in 223/5.56. I already have a pistol in .300 blackout. I already have 2 rifles in 223/5.56. recommendations?

I love my wife!! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7656 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CZ Bren 805 Pistol. $1,199. Plenty of money left over to brace it and add quality optics.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/743778968

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 973 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats Cliff, and good luck on your choice!

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8766 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JonDaddy82:
CZ Bren 805 Pistol. $1,199. Plenty of money left over to brace it and add quality optics.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/743778968

buy an S1 so that the moment you buy it they'll release the S2. (someone's gotta take one for the team) Razz

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
Sorry, Cliff, I wasn’t very helpful, I was just trying to be humorous with someone on this forum I like.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: clubleaf206,

Posts: 12180 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
A bit shorter than you were looking at 11.5"
but I've really loved my DDM4V7s pistol.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on your impending retirement.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
M1A/M14. They are soooooooo much fun, and you already have .223/.300BO covered.

Everyone wants to shoot them at the range, and it's become one of my favorite rifles in the brief time I've owned it. Most who shoot it comment something to the tune of "damnit, now I have to go get one of those."

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
12.5" 6.8 SPCII

He Is No Fool Who Gives What He Cannot Keep,
To Gain That Which He Cannot Lose!

Posts: 593 | Location: central nebraska | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
.458 SOCOM.

Yup.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
Cliff which really lights your fire more? Shooting rifle or shooting pistol?

Answer will determine what I recommend.

Congrats on your retirement. Smile

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
IndianaBoy, I love shooting handguns, but rifle shooting lights my fire & makes me smile like I've done lost my mind.

Gustofer, I was looking at the .458 SOCOM's at CMMG a few weeks ago. Giving that some serious thought.

PorterN, that DD you have is a seriously sexy beast. Smile

Appreciate all the recommendations and best wishes. I could build my own of course, but the wife says just pick one out and it's mine. Wonder if I could sweet talk some new optics in as well.. Wink

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7656 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
JP Rifles:

You COULD scratch your 14.5 itch with a pinned and welded comp.

I recommend an 18" with rifle gas.

Light contour barrel.

Get the comp blended to the barrel (it is an option in their barrel builder).

Low mass carrier.

low mass buffer (silent captive spring is a nice addition but not a necessity)

Adjustable gas.

You won't regret it.

Under the rifle builder tab, look for:

JP-15™ | Forged Precision Rifle

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Observer
Picture of phxtoad
posted Hide Post
Garand... Smile

Todd

phxtoad

"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Posts: 420 | Location: Tempe, Arizona | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cliff:
IndianaBoy, I love shooting handguns, but rifle shooting lights my fire & makes me smile like I've done lost my mind.

I could build my own of course, but the wife says just pick one out and it's mine. Wonder if I could sweet talk some new optics in as well.. Wink

What sort of distances do you have access to?

Building would certainly open up some flexibility regarding cost.

JP rifles are awesome but IMHO you can utilize some of their parts and get most of the performance at a fraction of the price.

Not Today
Picture of badcopnodonut!!
posted Hide Post
Maybe a rifle and a suppressor?

Hi,I'm Buck Melonoma,Moley Russels' wart.

Posts: 2926 | Location: sunflower state | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
M1 Carbine, or Garand if you don't already have them. And ammo.

Posts: 7267 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats on retiring. That would be a difficult decision. I know you were talking about a .223/5.56,but just to throw this out there and if it were me, maybe a HK MK23 or PS90 or a Garand of some sort? I kind of like the odd/exotic stuff,so to speak.

Posts: 6883 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
M1 Carbine, or Garand if you don't already have them. And ammo.

This is my suggestion as well. It's not anything like you mentioned, Cliff, but if you love shooting rifles, man, there's nobody I've let shoot one of mine who wasn't grinning from ear to ear once they set it back down on the bench. Rifle or carbine, you can't go wrong with a nice M1.

Posts: 17124 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King of Goodness
Picture of varoadking
posted Hide Post
I like the big boys as well...either an M1A or a Garand...the pride of ownership alone is well worth it...

They don't make 'em like they used to...except they do... Wink

OT - do you frequent Virginia Arms, Cliff?

Posts: 6699 | Location: Dixie | Registered: February 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post