SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Medium caliber semi auto rifle.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Medium caliber semi auto rifle. Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Thanks Rogue, that is one I am not familiar with? Looks interesting. I wonder if they were problematic. I like the look of if.

It's a high quality, well-made, John Browning design.

The main thing that is problematic is finding one in good condition at a reasonable price in a widely-available caliber. Wink

Otherwise, at ~8 pounds, they're not as lightweight as some of modern 7ish pound semiautos, but still less than something like a ~10+ pound AR10 or M1A. And scope mounting isn't as easy as the more modern semiautos.

But it'll be cheaper and classier than something like a new Browning BAR or FNAR, lighter than some semiauto options, and millions/billions of game animals have been killed with iron sights over the years.

Here's what looks like a nice one in .300 Savage on Gunbroker with a $750 starting bid: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/815595033

.300 Savage is a great, older .30 cal medium game hunting round that's ballistically a step up from rounds like .30-30 or 7.62x39, but a step down from .308 or .30-06. Despite its age, commercial .300 Savage ammo is still available.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RogueJSK,

Posts: 32423 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
This Wisconsin gun shop has a pair of them in .300 Savage for $850 each. Your choice of standard leaf rear sight or peep sight. (Personally, I'd go with the peep.)

Standard:
https://www.hiwayxgunsandammol...-page/remington-81-1

Peep:
https://www.hiwayxgunsandammol...ct-page/remington-81

Posts: 32423 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
A few of my votes would be a BAR in 243 or 308, I have a lightweight 20” 308. Another lightweight, quality gun is the VZ-58 in 7.62x39.

I had Browning BARs in 243 & 30-06, sold them during a consolidation attempt.

Posts: 6129 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know the FNAR was noted as an option. I had one. With the advantage of being current production, warranty and mags you can find. But its the most miserable beast to maintain I have every encountered. May not bother you if you shoot it modestly, but bothered me to the point it is gone.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
AK

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, while the Remington Rogue mentioned is probably the most viable option. The price is some prohibitive. There just are not really any viable options to meet my needs that I can see. So onward.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Sounds like your budget is going to be one of the primary limiting factor. The only non-AR semiauto hunting rifle in .308ish that you're likely to find for under ~$700 is something like a used Remington 742 or 7400. And those can have issues.

So it appears that we need more info.

1) What is your budget?
2) What are you hunting, and at what range?
3) Why semiauto?
4) Why not an AR?

There are a large number of affordable options for bolt or lever action hunting rifles.

Or, if it needs to be semiauto, but it's for shorter ranges, something like an SKS in 7.62x39 can be had for $400ish and would be plenty for medium game like hogs or deer out to 150 yards or so.

Another option for a short range semiauto hunting gun is a shotgun. You can get a decent used semiauto Beretta or Remington shotgun for $500ish. With the right slugs you can take medium game out to 100ish yards.

But if you're willing to go with an AR, you can get an AR-10 in .308 from Palmetto for ~$500 right now, which should be able to handle just about any of the usual hunting rifle needs.

posted Hide Post
While not semi auto, savage 99 is classic.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
To be honest I have items to fit the niche. Just not a ARish semi. Have bolt, lever, and AR options. Just wanted something specific. If that Remington was $450-500 I would be really tempted. So I am good. Thanks to all who chimed in.

posted Hide Post
Benelli R1

Posts: 2032 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yeah, you're not going to find much for $450-$500 when it comes to quality non-AR semiauto hunting rifles, unless you just happen to stumble across an amazing deal by being in the right place at the right time.

That's used Remington 742/7400 territory, but those can be problematic.

quote:
Originally posted by burnetma:
Benelli R1

Finding a Benelli R1 for $500ish would be quite a challenge.

posted Hide Post
What about a Mini 30 Ruger? Seems to fit all of your needs and a folding stock or synthetic stock version should be fairly light.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
What about a Mini 30 Ruger?

He shot that down a third of the way through the 1st page:

quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
The Mini 30 does not interest me either.

Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Mini 30's do not have a great history on accuracy. Also not a huge fan of the 7.62x39.

A lever action is probably a better option since little is available in something more along the lines of a 8 or 81. I like them but I have never felt like most lever guns fit me that well. They are a little short and compact for my liking.

I may post a wtb or trade for an 8 or 81 here to see if someone has one collecting dust Wink

Thanks again guys.

Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Benelli R1 is an option, I looked at them a while back as a good pig rifle, you can find them used at a decent price.

https://www.benelliusa.com/r1-big-game-rifle

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ruger XGI.

Oh, wait...

Never mind.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Seems like the every impossible task.

Good luck.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Around here, Grade 1 Browning BAR rifles are reasonably priced used, and .243 was one of the original calibers.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
I know the FNAR was noted as an option. I had one. With the advantage of being current production, warranty and mags you can find. But its the most miserable beast to maintain I have every encountered. May not bother you if you shoot it modestly, but bothered me to the point it is gone.

The accuracy and enjoyment of shooting my FNAR only marginally exceeds the PIA factor to clean and maintain it.

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4561 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
RogueJSK.

LOVE that rifle.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post