SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Medium caliber semi auto rifle.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Medium caliber semi auto rifle. Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
Looking for suggestions on a semi auto. No .223.
Want something medium caliber. Does not need to be mag feed, but could be. Needs to be lighter than heavier. Would prefer something non ARish. Thoughts?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 234 | Location: Bucks County, PA | Registered: December 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Browning, BAR. We had one in class today. Ran flawlessly, accurate, light weight and moderate recoil in .308 caliber. I was impressed.

Ignem Feram

Posts: 528 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Not an AR Big Grin

Posts: 3484 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
SCAR 17S.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Scar 17 is ARish LDD. Maybe I should of been more specific. The Mini 30 does not interest me either.

Use is more hunting related.

Thanks guys

If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
Look for a Remington 742 or 7400 on Gunbroker, or maybe a Winchester Model 100. I've shot both, and while I like the Winchester's better, the Remingtons are more readily available.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've always found my M-1 Carbine a fun plinker!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8322 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shackelford
posted Hide Post
I'm not certain the BAR is "light", but that is the biggest option. If you are more weight sensitive, I've always liked the design of the Benelli R1. It is a classy gun, and can be had in a few different medium calibers.

Other options? I've always lusted after an AG42 Ljungman, personally. Great history, nice rifle, and in my favorite caliber, to boot. Mounting a scope may be a pain for hunting (and a little sacrilegious).

Setting aside the SCAR, but in that vein, are several newcomers, a few of which are available in 308. I love my SAN Swiss 751, and the B&T APC308 is lustworthy. Both should be accurate and easy to mount a scope on.

The recent M1A Scout thread here has made me want to spend money on a sweet little wood stocked rifle, and I am a fan of 17" FALs, which are handy rifles too.

Posts: 831 | Location: Volunteer | Registered: January 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The BAR in .243 might fit your needs.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
ok guys, thanks. there were some I had not thought of. I appreciate it.

The 7mm-08 might even be a little better Yoop. But I do like the .243 also. Wink

With bad intent
posted Hide Post
depends on what you call medium caliber?

Im thinking Tavor X95 in 300blk.

Mini 30 also fits the bill.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
ok guys, thanks. there were some I had not thought of. I appreciate it.

The 7mm-08 might even be a little better Yoop. But I do like the .243 also. Wink

Semi auto .243 will be pretty much limited to AR style guns or hunting rifles.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
Just dreaming....an M1A Scout or SOCOM in .243 would cool.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WARPIG602:
Just dreaming....an M1A Scout or SOCOM in .243 would cool.

SAI used to produce .243 M1As from the ealy 80s up through the mid-90s, although they weren't offered in Scout or SOCOM configuration.

It's still possible with a barrel swap and some gas system tweaking.

However, even with a 16" or 18" barrel in .243, I don't think a M1A would fit the OP's lightweight requirement.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Semi auto .243 will be pretty much limited to AR style guns or hunting rifles.[/QUOTE]

That is what I was looking for is the hunting options.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
If you want something even classier, with a bit of history, keep an eye out for one of the early commercial semiauto rifles like a Remington Model 8 or the later Model 81.

They're getting pricier due to the collectors' market, but they still hunt just as well as they did in the 1930s.

They're available in a number of older calibers, but if you can find one in something like .35 Remington or .300 Savage, ammo is still widely commercially available. If you're a reloader, you can go for one of the more obscure obsolete calibers like .25 Remington or .32 Remington.

They're also takedown rifles, for compact transport.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RogueJSK,

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired, laying back
and enjoying life
Picture of low8option
posted Hide Post
M1-A in 6.5 CR in either wood or synthetic.

Freedom comes from the will of man. In America it is guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment

Posts: 876 | Location: Northern Alabama | Registered: June 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rogue, that is one I am not familiar with? Looks interesting. I wonder if they were problematic. I like the look of if. That is kind of what I had in mind on this thread.