SIGforum
Full stock, manlicher, rifles

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/3950059944

November 23, 2018, 10:28 AM
pbramlett
Full stock, manlicher, rifles
SF brothers and sisters,

Do any of you like Full Stock / Manlicher rifles? I've really taken a liking to them and am on the hunt for one. I've found Sako, and some Ruger M77's with full stocks but what else should I be looking for?

I don't really have a reason for wanting one other than i want one. I don't hunt often. Show me which full stocks you like and why you like them.

Anything i need do know about them?

Thanks!

Regards,

P.
November 23, 2018, 10:31 AM
RogueJSK
I like the look, for sure. Here's my Ruger M77RSI International in .30-06:

The downsides are that they're a bit heavier than smaller stocks, and some Mannlicher-stocked rifles have issues with the full-length stock and nosecap interfering with the barrel harmonics, which can affect accuracy. Free-floating a barrel in a more typical stock is usually preferred for ultimate accuracy.
November 23, 2018, 10:39 AM
pbramlett
RogueJSK,

Thanks for the reply. I like that M77! Very nice. I didn't think about the full stock possibly affecting accuracy.

Regards,

P.
November 23, 2018, 10:46 AM
RogueJSK
The plus sides of the Mannlicher stock are that it looks cool Big Grin, and most Mannlicher-stocked rifles tend to have shorter barrels (18-20ish inches versus the more typical 22-24ish inches), which makes for more compact, handier packages. They also tend to have iron sights, which are becoming uncommon on hunting rifles these days.

Another good option for a high quality Mannlicher-stocked rifle is CZ.

Their Mannlicher-stocked 550 FS was discontinued last year, but they're still around. They were offered in a variety of hunting calibers.

(Sadly, not mine.)

And CZ still sells the smaller 527 rifle in a FS model, but it's only offered in .223. (If they offered their 7.62x39 527 in a FS model, I'd have one already. Wink )

http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-527-fs-223-rem/

November 23, 2018, 11:04 AM
pbramlett
I know. I've wanted the CZ527 in 7.62x39 in a full stock, that's why i've not bought the carbine yet. Smile

That CZ550 is nice, i'll have to look at that one more closely.

Thanks!

Regards,

P.
November 23, 2018, 12:11 PM
Il Cattivo
Another one waiting for CZ to bring back the full-stocked 7.62x39. I keep thinking it would be cool to have one (regardless of maker) in 6.5x55 (or 53, or 54, or R, or...I can't keep track of all the variations) just because Hemingway kept an original butter-knife on his sailboat, but the older 6.5s are probably better with slightly longer barrels, no?
November 23, 2018, 01:13 PM
Anubismp
My photo-fu is weak but you can also check out Mannlicher Schonauers. Super smooth rotary mag and set triggers on some of them.
November 23, 2018, 07:41 PM
pbramlett
quote:
Originally posted by Anubismp:
My photo-fu is weak but you can also check out Mannlicher Schonauers. Super smooth rotary mag and set triggers on some of them.

Some of those are way out of my price range but they sure look cool!

Regards,

P.
November 23, 2018, 08:03 PM
DSgrouse
have a normal rifle stocked for manlicher. I have a Winchester 75 22lr that has been changed to manlicher stock.

This is it out at the range sighting it in.

The man who did this, was doing it as a proof of concept. it was well done, but not top notch work. He has TOP notch centerfire rifles conversions to manlicher stocks. He does the work himself. He is old, but his work is outstanding. Like i said, this was to save an old rifle, proof of concept.

Give him a call if you are looking for something. He shipped this to VA for me.

H&K Gun Shop
4.3 from 5 reviews
2604 Pacific Ave, Forest Grove, OR 97116
(503) 357-6807
November 23, 2018, 08:11 PM
jaybirdaccountant
I know some will disagree, but I've found full stock rifles more tough accuracy wise often due to contact between the barrel and forearm and/or nosecap. I've owned a number of Sako rifles over the year and the only one I never could get to shoot well was a full stocked version. They are neat looking though!
November 23, 2018, 08:23 PM
DSgrouse
quote:
Originally posted by jaybirdaccountant:
I know some will disagree, but I've found full stock rifles more tough accuracy wise often due to contact between the barrel and forearm and/or nosecap. I've owned a number of Sako rifles over the year and the only one I never could get to shoot well was a full stocked version. They are neat looking though!

humidity is a bitch for manlicher stocks.

This one i posted fit perfectly in oregon. Here in va, the wood warped on me. Causing it to touch the barrel. after about 75 rounds the rifle would rotate point of impact clockwise as you shot.

I had the stock bedded, and the two rings put on the stock and barrel. Those rings are at the nodal points of the barrel. They allow the barrel to slide between them and the bedding. Now i have 0 issues with the poi shifting during humid weather.

Before anyone gets any ideas about crappy work. Keep in mind this was made in oregon and shot nicely there. Here the humidty made all the difference. I had similar POI issues with my Kimber 82, Anni MPR. Both have been bedded now and don't have the issue any more.
November 24, 2018, 12:31 PM
apprentice
They do scratch a particular itch Smile

Everyone should have at least one thing that is beautiful before anything else.
November 24, 2018, 12:34 PM
wolfe 21
Have an older 10/22 international stock. That's the closest I've come, but if I can lay hands on one of those 77/22 models I will own it as well.

A Perpetual Disappointment...
November 24, 2018, 05:45 PM
pbramlett
Found a ruger m77 manlicher in .308 today. Will post a photo when I get it in.

Still want a Cooper or a Sako but this was hard to pass up.

Regards,

P.
November 24, 2018, 08:26 PM
RogueJSK
Sweet. I was on the hunt for a .308 when I came across a good deal on my .30-06.
November 25, 2018, 05:14 PM
Bigboreshooter
I've owned several Ruger RSI models over the years. All of these were capable of 1 - 1.5" groups with hunting ammo; more than adequate for their intended purpose.

I also had a 10/22 International that would shoot 1/2" groups at 50 yards. Easily capable of taking head shots on tree rats.

upload photograph

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

November 25, 2018, 06:30 PM
BillyBonesNY
Love them!
I have a Swedish 94 6.5mm carbine that is nuts accurate. Light, quick to use 16" that is in a great caliber that is mild recoil wise.

Always wanted a Steyr Mannlicher.
Maybe later this year.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org
November 27, 2018, 03:20 PM
muzzleloader
Bigboreshooter, you just had to post that 7 mm mauser #1. Years ago I walked away from his twin at a gunshow. My poor excuse was not having the $500 being asked. I could still kick myself. Very nice family portrait.

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison
November 30, 2018, 03:11 PM
mlazarus
I have a CZ550 full stock that was reasonably priced and is very accurate. 30-06.

Ignem Feram
November 30, 2018, 05:11 PM
Chris42
CZ also makes a 22 with the full length stock. They make some really nice firearms. If I didn’t have two varmint barrel CZ’s already, I’d think about one.