SIGforum
Double Star So Com M4 butt stock?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/3950030434

December 02, 2017, 05:31 PM
Tommydogg
Double Star So Com M4 butt stock?
I looked at one of these today at my LGS. I liked it, I could get it way lower than the price on their website. Any one have one or experience with Double Star? Or is this like NCStar stuff?

https://star15.com/m4-socom-st...ith-buffer-tube-only

Beth Greene
December 02, 2017, 06:09 PM
Il Cattivo
FWIW, that's the parent company of the people who make ACE buttstocks (eg., the AR/FX), so I'm guessing that that's really an ACE stock. I don't know exactly how sturdy the M4 stock is, but I have a few of the AR/FX stocks. Those have held up well (haven't tried hitting anyone with one though), and I like them.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Il Cattivo,
December 02, 2017, 08:14 PM
Tommydogg
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
(haven't tried hitting anyone with one though), and I like them.

Funny that you mention this, I read Brownells description, I copied this:
"There’s even a machined-in hammer on the butt for breaching doors and hand-to-hand combat"

Beth Greene
December 02, 2017, 08:45 PM
ARman
Double Star is OK, in line with Rock River Arms, not top tier Colt, but OK.

They are out of Winchester Kentucky. The stock itself I have no knowledge of, but Double Star good, not Colt quality. I have used their LPKs before with no problems.

As a side note, I would like to get my hands on a stripped lower receiver, just because it's made in Kentucky, and I live in the Bluegrass state, but I don't want to pay a lot for it.

ARman
December 02, 2017, 09:47 PM
Il Cattivo
quote:
"There’s even a machined-in hammer on the butt for breaching doors and hand-to-hand combat"

Big Grin Well, if they're going to encourage that behavior...

That was one of the questions about the AR/FX back when it first started becoming popular. I wouldn't be afraid to mortar a rifle with one if I needed to. That being said, I think there's a reason why the company website mentions that the SOCOM is strong enough that you won't bend the buttstock tube. I would also suspect that using a carbine-length tube rather than the AR/FX' rifle-length tube helps make the SOCOM a stronger hammer.
December 03, 2017, 10:44 PM
Tommydogg
I picked it up today, and they weren't lying about the hammer! I didn't notice it yesterday when I looked at it, it's a dog gone meat tenderizer!

It has a rubber pad that is not installed in the picture, It's going on my latest project AR.

Beth Greene
December 05, 2017, 09:03 AM
vinnybass
Nice stock, but this talk of butt-stroking anything with an AR (especially laterally) always makes me wonder how many impacts the buffer-tube thread will take before cracking at the thinnest part.

Anyone here have any real-world experience?

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."
December 05, 2017, 10:46 AM
myrottiety
Patiently waiting on butt stroke range report. Big Grin

Does look like quite the meat tenderizer.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.
December 05, 2017, 12:31 PM
Il Cattivo
Yeah, this thread is just crying out for a "skirt steak with protection" pic, isn't it? Big Grin