SIGforum
Wolf T91 Taiwanese military gas piston AR uppers now available $599

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/3940078124

April 01, 2017, 10:34 PM
lbj
Wolf T91 Taiwanese military gas piston AR uppers now available $599
Someone please give a good reason not to buy one of these uppers.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

April 01, 2017, 10:36 PM
kimber1911
Newmexican, I used the question mark because I could not find the 造 written as you see in the big white box. When I did find it, copy and paste turned it back to 造. It had me baffled.

UPS delivers my upper Monday. Big Grin

LBJ, consider this:

"The Jordanian Defense Forces had reportedly conducted comparison tests between several service rifles in a desert environment. The T91 is found to have reliability comparable to the AK-47, while scoring better than M16, and it is very dependable in desert conditions."

Not much desert in Colorado, the rifle is probably a bit over kill for the mountains. Wink

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021
April 01, 2017, 11:01 PM
kimberkid
quote:
Originally posted by lbj:
Someone please give a good reason not to buy one of these uppers.

That depends ... Are you satisfied with your current 5.56/.223 platforms?
Is your current impinged or piston not satisfactory? Will it be superior to a SiG, AK, HK, Daewoo, AUG, TAVOR, FN, Ares Defense Belt-Fed, Bushmaster M17S ... or any one of the plethora of other 5.56/.223 launching platforms?

How many different platforms do you want/need to be able to fire a 5.56/.223, the same mouse round that's been around for nearly 60 years, a round that was intended to wound, not kill.

Lastly, how different is it? Well, let's see ...

It's another piston upper for any AR lower with the same type marketing jargon nearly every manufacturer for every product known to man has used ... It's made in Taiwan, most likely by slave type laborers that make penny's a day with the cheapest materials that meet the minimum spec ...

How's that?

As for me, when it's another "new" AR; I'm perfectly happy with my Osprey Defense piston conversions, it works great on my semi-auto lowers but really shines on the M16. For DI AR's I've got more than I need, actually a few doubles that the only difference is the roll mark. My SiG's, AK's & HK's do a good job of scratching the itch when I tire of AR's and honestly I'm interested in how well the T91 hold up once they get out into the public's hands ... and I'm tired of being a beta tester, I've had my share of firearm disappointments ... So maybe in a year or two if people are still raving about them.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink
April 01, 2017, 11:30 PM
Dyingtime
For $600 There are no reasons not to. Atlsntic Firearms shows having them in stock.
http://www.atlanticfirearms.co...emart_category_id=25

" The Road goes on forever and the Party never ends"
April 01, 2017, 11:55 PM
kimber1911
I would not classify the T91 as a "new" AR.
It has been in service since 2003, a bit passed beta testing.
140,000+ put into service, just not in the U.S. until now.
The T91 was designed as a gas piston system.
It has been considered to be a proven design.

T91 Assault Rifle

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

April 02, 2017, 07:52 AM
cas
4-8 years ago this would have been a screaming deal.

Today, when you can currently buy a complete decent name brand AR for under $500, it seems quite a bit less so. Sure, not apples to apples, but you can't ignore the reality of the prices.

If I didn't have three 5.56 uppers (that mostly sit unused now) I'd be really temped, if just for the sake of having something different.

April 02, 2017, 10:35 AM
kimberkid
quote:
Originally posted by kimber1911:
The T91 was designed as a gas piston system.

Don't get me wrong, I'm interested, especially in seeing under the handguard and some accuracy comparisons between the T91 and a DI with common ammo.

Is it just the price that has everyone so excited, or is it because it's a new product?

Piston system AR's have born available for quite a while and I'm curious how is this different from any other piston system like the SiG 516, which was also designed as a piston system AR, not a conversion ... Which also begs the question, what's wrong with a conversion?

I've got an Adams Arms (long stroke) which I have noticed the accuracy isn't as good with the DI system when compared to the piston system in the same gun, with the same ammo. I've also noticed bit of carrier tilt (finish wear on the buffer tube after about 800 rounds). I also have 2 Osprey Defense piston systems (short stroke) of which I haven't noticed any wear in several thousand rounds, and no change in accuracy which is why I bought a second one. The Osprey kit is in my Colt 11.5" upper which is mostly used on the M16.

The only thing you replace when installing the Osprey system is the carrier and gas tube and the other thing I like, because it's a short stroke, there is no gas valve; nothing to change when you run a suppressor or change ammo ... Unlike the Adams system which does have a gas regulated you have to replace the front sight base and replace it with their gas valve/base which is secured with 2 allen screws ...

I've rambled on long enough ... I hope the upper is everything it's advertised to be and I'm really looking forward to your review!

April 02, 2017, 12:23 PM
kimber1911
"Is it just the price that has everyone so excited, or is it because it's a new product?"

Price seems about right considering that the Osprey Defense piston conversion is $300. Here the complete upper is $600. Not a screaming good deal, nor excessively high.

I am not in need of another AR, however mine are all DIs.
I have a stripped lower on-hand that had no plans, so this is an opportunity to put together something I don't have.

For me it's something new, something I don't have, and a proven design.

Pres. Select, Joe Biden

April 02, 2017, 12:32 PM
Il Cattivo
I've gotta admit, I think it's priced a bit high. Then again, I got a complete Adams piston rifle (sans iron sights) for $600 from Bud's a few years ago and yes, I am a cheapskate.
April 02, 2017, 10:43 PM
DeeJai
quote:
Originally posted by kimberkid:

Lastly, how different is it? Well, let's see ...

It's another piston upper for any AR lower with the same type marketing jargon nearly every manufacturer for every product known to man has used ... It's made in Taiwan, most likely by slave type laborers that make penny's a day with the cheapest materials that meet the minimum spec ...

How's that?

Anything to back up that claim of Taiwanese slave labor and low quality or are you just running your mouth? Due to pressure from Communist China, countries won't trade arms to Taiwan. In the face of this the Taiwanese have built a robust and innovative local arms industry that isn't low quality and doesnt use wage slaves.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DeeJai,
April 03, 2017, 05:11 AM
mbinky
For the price I think they are excellent for a turn key piston upper with a pedigree. According to one of the dealers the barrel is 4150 hammer forged and nitrided.

I already own two piston guns (a Colt and a PWS) but if I were in the market I'd take a hard look.
April 03, 2017, 07:06 AM
RogueJSK
My main hesitation on trying one out is that it isn't compatible with AR-15 handguards or other accessories.

Without the ability to at least attach a light, it would only be a range toy. And I prefer extended length handguards as well - at least 13", and preferably 15".

Maybe in a few years, when/if there's some aftermarket support.
April 03, 2017, 09:44 AM
kimberkid
quote:
Originally posted by DeeJai:
Anything to back up that claim of Taiwanese slave labor and low quality or are you just running your mouth? Due to pressure from Communist China, countries won't trade arms to Taiwan. In the face of this the Taiwanese have built a robust and innovative local arms industry that isn't low quality and doesnt use wage slaves.

The post was in response to a member ASKING for reason's not to buy one of these uppers ...
Out of the 264 words in the post, you pick out a few words to bash me for? Maybe you missed the sarcasm of the thread that was exemplified the end of the post by asking "How's that?"

You've been a member since 2010 and this is your first post ... are you trolling?

After giving your post some thought, I have given kimber1911 a bit of a hard-time about it ... maybe I got that from genes on my dads side ... actually, if I was in the market for a piston driven conversion I might have some interest in it, as I really am interested in kimber1911's review.

Maybe its because I already own 3) 5.56/223 conversions, an Ares Defense belt-fed piston upper and a SiG 716 in 308 I've come to the conclusion that the piston system is really a solution in search of a problem ... the only valid reason I can see for a piston system AR is for one being used in full-auto as it really does keep the the FCG cleaner and the bolt/carrier cooler, but then there are better choices available now than the AR for full-auto such as the SCAR, Bren, SiG 553 to name a few, and who know's maybe the T91 will take it's place in that line up someday.

Just for clarification, the T91 technically is a conversion because it isn't a complete rifle.

April 03, 2017, 04:07 PM
Seotaji
Where can I get spare parts?
April 03, 2017, 08:13 PM
kimber1911
Upper arrived today, and I am happy with it.
I do like the flat bottom on the hand guard.

As an added bonus discovered I had a complete Bushmaster lower that I had forgotten about.

I think in time parts will be available.

Pres. Select, Joe Biden

April 03, 2017, 08:39 PM
TSgt_Matt
Me likey! Where in NC are you?

quote:
Originally posted by kimber1911:
Upper arrived today, and I am happy with it.
I do like the flat bottom on the hand guard.

As an added bonus discovered I had a complete Bushmaster lower that I had forgotten about.

I think in time parts will be available.

FG42 Type G, Ruger GSR, P250 Compact 9mm w/45ACP Compact conversion, H&K VP9 & other cool stuff.

100% disabled veteran
April 03, 2017, 08:58 PM
kimber1911
Charlotte

Pres. Select, Joe Biden

April 03, 2017, 08:58 PM
kimberkid
It looks good and although I can't see the front sight that well, I like it, I've always liked the flat bottom of AR hand guards too ... But I'd really like to see under the handguard, not just the bottom of it!

April 03, 2017, 09:28 PM
RogueJSK
quote:
Originally posted by kimberkid:
It looks good and although I can't see the front sight that well, I like it

Better?

Remings me a lot of the Magpul MBUS front sight. (But the T91's sight doesn't fold.)

April 03, 2017, 09:50 PM
kimber1911
Removing the handguards looks to be a bit more involved than your standard AR handguards.
It's all pretty tight and solid.
I won't be knocking the pin out unless needed.
I would like to see a video of someone removing their handguard.

Pres. Select, Joe Biden