SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Dear God, you say. Another "What scope is best for..." thread - MVP LC needs some glasses
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dear God, you say. Another "What scope is best for..." thread - MVP LC needs some glasses Login/Join 
Picture of KHolm
posted
SIGforum brethren,

Yesterday I acquired a new Mossberg MVP LC in .308/7.62. It's a 18.5" medium contour barrel in 1:10 twist. MOST of the shoosting we will be doing will be from a bench, with a Harris S-BRM, Accushot monopod on a Luth MBA-3 stock up to 400 yards. Though it has a SilencerCo QD brake, we won't be suppressing anytime soon. There is no elevation built into the base and honestly, I will most likely never venture into 600 plus yardage. We will be looking at optics in the $4-500 range including a good set of rings. I've found a few I like from various manufacturers that fit the budget amount but would like some opinions form the experienced. I'd like FFP, just a preference but no real world behind the glass knowledge.

I'm looking at Vortex (2.5x10-32FFP), Nikon (M308), Millet, Leupold and a few others. What would YOU recommend for a budget-limited novice shooter wanting to broaden their long range experiences?

Isaiah 54:17 - No weapon formed against us shall prosper....

What do I want? A time machine.
When do I want it? Irrelevant.

Posts: 1820 | Location: Central Iowa CAPTIVE | Registered: January 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
My experience with Vortex has been extremely positive.

My Razor is superb. I have been and would consider some of their mid-tier optics like the Viper PST to put on a suppressed AR for mid-longish range plinking at steel. I would favor higher magnification than a 2.5-10 for a bolt gun. 3-18 or 5-25.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've used Nikon, Leupold and Vortex and they were are all good quality makers. The trick is to pick the right level of quality and the right set of features.

If I were you, I'd read through Nikonusers threads on optics first. From there figure out exactly which feature you really need and which ones you want. Then browse the vendors and see what they are offering that fit those requirements. Then dig through scope reviews here and you can also look in M4 carbine.net's optics sub forum. It's a little easier to search (IMHO). Youtube also has decent scope reviews. When it comes to optics research can pay off, sometimes you find the elusive high quality low cost solution, but usually quality costs.

Another thing you can do is go over to www.swfa.com and use their search feature. It turns out that Nikon has a 4-12 x 40 P-308 kit (2nd Focal plane) that includes rings that meets your price point plus over a hundred other possible models of 2nd Focal plane scopes if you include their house brand SWFA (I have one in fixed 10 power that is nice). I noticed a couple Vortex diamondbacks that were also in your price range. But they only had 3 first focal plane models in your price range, all Nikon Pro Staffs. But, you still need to check the reviews even after you find one you like just to be sure.

Posts: 4548 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Vortex, forget Millett. Great warranty and decent glass.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also take a look at Sightron. I have some of their scopes that have great glass and have been ultra reliable. Life time warranty also.

Posts: 12580 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KHolm
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input, Gents! I've watched reviews, read forums and found a new model that was, after hefty discounts was in our budget. My dealer ordered me in the new Nikon X1000 Black 4-16x50 X-MRad illuminated model which sports a 30mm tube and Mikons no fault warranty. Should be in Monday and I'm excited to give this a fair and honest assessment.

Isaiah 54:17 - No weapon formed against us shall prosper....

What do I want? A time machine.
When do I want it? Irrelevant.

Posts: 1820 | Location: Central Iowa CAPTIVE | Registered: January 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Cool. Let us know what you think about it.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks nice. Can't wait to hear how it works for you.

Posts: 4548 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post