SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Tikka T3x Lite stainless $700?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tikka T3x Lite stainless $700? Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. All great comments.

Brett B, love the look of your .260
Do you remember the price?

Tikka is a bit hard to decern their models.
A fluted barrel model might be out of my budget.

The Talley rings sound good.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19159 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
if I was putting together a T3X lite or superlite, Id throw a Leupold vx3i or a swarovski z3 on it.

I guess Id feel bad getting a nice 6lb rifle and turning it into an 8.5lb one.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of scopes. A new VX2 2-7 or an older Nikon 3-9x40 or a fixed 4x. Both excellent made in Japan optics.
I might even put my Kahles scope on it. 2.5-10x42.
Probably not.
A new VX2 3-9x40 would also be a great choice. I need to keep the price down so no VX3i or Swaro. But I think the VX2 or my older Nikons would be great.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
I have a couple of scopes. A new VX2 2-7 or an older Nikon 3-9x40 or a fixed 4x. Both excellent made in Japan optics.
I might even put my Kahles scope on it. 2.5-10x42.
Probably not.
A new VX2 3-9x40 would also be a great choice. I need to keep the price down so no VX3i or Swaro. But I think the VX2 or my older Nikons would be great.

VX2s are really good scopes, I even have an older FX2 that I really like.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
As posted above, my T3x Lite Stainless weighs in at 6lbs 3.2oz, which is 6.2lbs, with the magazine removed.

Great! I was hoping to hear this. The Tikka web site data sheet must be in error.

I'll be looking forward to U.S. imports of the T3X Lite Stainless in 260 REM. I missed my opportunity to buy the last of the older T3 Lite Stainless models in that chambering.

In the meantime, for any fans of 6.5 Swede, the T3 Lite Mossy Oak Camo with carbon steel barrel is still available (at closeout prices) on various web sites in that chambering.

As for the original question, in a rifle this light, I'd go for the softer shooting caliber. Among the listed ones, I guess that would be 7mm-08.

If I were to get the T3X Lite in 30-06, I'd mount a 3-9x50 mm scope to soften the recoil.

Posts: 830 | Registered: September 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newmexican:
if I was putting together a T3X lite or superlite, Id throw a Leupold vx3i or a swarovski z3 on it.

Agreed, that's why I chose the Trijicon 3-9x40 for mine. It only weighs 12.8 oz, has nicer glass than that Leupold, battery free illumination for low light hunting or dark shaded areas where the etched reticle gets washed out, and has a MIL-DOT reticle for elevation and wind holds at distance.

The Swarovski Z3 also weighs the same and obviously has excellent glass quality. But you aren't going to get illumination in the Z3 line. You have to step up to the Z6i for that which is big money.

My buddy with the 270 Tikka has deteriorating eyesight and is fairly recoil sensitive. So for him trading the extra weight for a nicer scope with side focus/parallax, lots of eye relief, a big generous eyebox, and the clearly marked MOAR reticle made sense. That SHV is a great scope for the ~$850 price range. He had a lightweight Ruger in 7mm Win Mag before that he hated since it was punishing to shoot.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks guys. All great comments.

Brett B, love the look of your .260
Do you remember the price?

Tikka is a bit hard to decern their models.
A fluted barrel model might be out of my budget.

The Talley rings sound good.

Thanks, I paid $900 for mine which is a T3. Once the T3X came out Eurooptic had the T3 version w/fluted barrel on clearance for ~$750. Looks like those are all gone now and the T3X Stainless Fluted is full price at Eurooptic.

http://www.eurooptic.com/JRTXA...B-224--barrel-M.aspx

If you are ok with a blued finish and the standard non-fluted barrel this is a steal:

http://www.eurooptic.com/tikka...a318-with-rings.aspx

Eurooptic still has a bunch more of the T3 rifles in stock with clearance prices including a few of the Stainless Laminated models. If you scroll down a bit there are 3 pages of all the T3 models they have left:

http://www.eurooptic.com/tikka...q=&o=0&p=1&i=18&d=18

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett B:
quote:

Agreed, that's why I chose the Trijicon 3-9x40 for mine. It only weighs 12.8 oz, has nicer glass than that Leupold, battery free illumination for low light hunting or dark shaded areas where the etched reticle gets washed out, and has a MIL-DOT reticle for elevation and wind holds at distance.

The Swarovski Z3 also weighs the same and obviously has excellent glass quality. But you aren't going to get illumination in the Z3 line. You have to step up to the Z6i for that which is big money.

My buddy with the 270 Tikka has deteriorating eyesight and is fairly recoil sensitive. So for him trading the extra weight for a nicer scope with side focus/parallax, lots of eye relief, a big generous eyebox, and the clearly marked MOAR reticle made sense. That SHV is a great scope for the ~$850 price range. He had a lightweight Ruger in 7mm Win Mag before that he hated since it was punishing to shoot.

Ive often wondered about those Trijicon Accupoint scopes. The weight is good and the price is right there with a z3. I dont know why I dont see any of them in the lightweight hunting scene. Seems like everybody sticks to the leupolds and Swarovskis.

I wish I could try the Trijicon out but Ive actually considered just ordering one sight unseen because they seem really nice.

Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Thanks Brett B for the links to look at the rifles at Europtic.

As was mentioned Cabela's and Sportsman warehouse look like they have an exclusive of sorts on the Super light models. I was in one recently and that got me a bit reveved up on them.

Seemed like the short actions were $699 and long actions were $749 in fluted stainless with syn. stocks.

As I said with the right optic and sling i think you could set one up that would be >7.5 lbs.
That would be sweet in a big game rifle.

Optic wise I always thought that Trijcon was much heavier. It is out of my budget but I certainly would love to try one since it is much lighter than I thought.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks Brett B for the links to look at the rifles at Europtic.

As was mentioned Cabela's and Sportsman warehouse look like they have an exclusive of sorts on the Super light models. I was in one recently and that got me a bit reveved up on them.

Seemed like the short actions were $699 and long actions were $749 in fluted stainless with syn. stocks.

As I said with the right optic and sling i think you could set one up that would be >7.5 lbs.
That would be sweet in a big game rifle.

Optic wise I always thought that Trijcon was much heavier. It is out of my budget but I certainly would love to try one since it is much lighter than I thought.

Check out the Rockslide forums, tons of guys there (including myself) have set these T3s and T3Xs up for some serious hunting.

I think the T3/x is easily in the top 2 most popular rifles for back pack hunters right now with the kimber montana being a close 2nd...but for 2x the price.

And be sure to check out mountain tactical, their tikka rail is awesome.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:

Need to pretend I didn't see this recommendation......

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15286 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
quote:

Need to pretend I didn't see this recommendation......

Its the best Tikka rail available. Look into your heart, you know it to be true.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:

Its the best Tikka rail available. Look into your heart, you know it to be true.

I'm also browsing their other 'upgrades'
Will see how I feel about wanting anything more, after I can get the thing to the range for the first time. Hopefully tomorrow.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15286 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
So I went back to get a second look.
Pretty nice. non magnums have 22" barrels. I like a longer barrel. The 300 win mag and 7mm RM and probably the 300 wsm have 24" barrel. Better.
So I am trying to decide between the 7mm and the 300 wm.

I did a layaway on the 7mm. I can change it but do think it is what I want. About the same recoil.
I have a scope, Either a vx-2 Leupold or 3-9x42 Kahles and will either do Talley light weight rings or a DNZ one piece mount. I should be right at or under 7.5 lbs when done. Not bad for a lightweight hunting rifle.

If you see any reason to go .300wm vs 7mm please feel free to make a case. Btw I ready have and shoot both Wink And see no reason to shoot anything lighter than 180gr from the .300

BTW the magnum superlite is $749

posted Hide Post
quote:
So I went back to get a second look.
Pretty nice. non magnums have 22" barrels. I like a longer barrel. The 300 win mag and 7mm RM and probably the 300 wsm have 24" barrel. Better.
So I am trying to decide between the 7mm and the 300 wm.

I did a layaway on the 7mm. I can change it but do think it is what I want. About the same recoil.
I have a scope, Either a vx-2 Leupold or 3-9x42 Kahles and will either do Talley light weight rings or a DNZ one piece mount. I should be right at or under 7.5 lbs when done. Not bad for a lightweight hunting rifle.

If you see any reason to go .300wm vs 7mm please feel free to make a case. Btw I ready have and shoot both Wink And see no reason to shoot anything lighter than 180gr from the .300

BTW the magnum superlite is $749

I'd stay with the 7mm personally.