SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Tikka T3x Lite stainless $700?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tikka T3x Lite stainless $700? Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
So I was at the fun store and was looking around. See this Tikka. Newest version I suppose. A couple upgrades of the previous model. Nothing earth shattering. But nice.

I am thinking about selling one of my old Remington 788' (which I love) to get one of these lite weights?

Any thoughts on them? Which caliber? I like larger caliber. big game rifle.

7mm
30 06
300 win
7mm 08

already have 300wsm in a tikka
other?

No go?
Better option?

Thanks

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
25-06. Shoots flat, accurate and fills the niche below your 300WSM.

Whitetail, muley, antelope, coyote - ideal for all of those.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
If it's a light, I would want the 7mm-08. You already have a .30 magnum, that means you don't need a 30-06 or a .300 Win; you already have a .30 magnum, so a 7 Mag isn't going to get you much you don't already have, so why not go with a cartridge that will be a peach to shoot through a light gun?

I have a Tikka T3 Hunter in .243 (which is essentially a 6mm-08) and shooting it is a breeze. Light to carry, easy to shoot and very accurate. Unless you are hunting over bean fields after a long walk or shooting antelope out on the plains, I would go with the 7mm-8 in a heart beat.

Just to get you going a little...

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
Id vote 7-08 as well based on the fact you have a 300WSM already.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like the others, I'd say 7mm-08 since you already have the 300 WSM

Posts: 937 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Do they offer it in .308? Gives everything right up to the .06, and ammo is everywhere.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15559 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I picked up a T3x Lite Stainless in .270 for Christmas. Got a Nikon Monarch 5 for my birthday & finally got it mounted early last week.
Hoping to get it to the range this weekend, so no range experience with it yet.
Weighs in around 8.25lbs with the scope mounted.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15285 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Of the cartridges above - the 7mm-08.

But I'd really like one in 6.5mm Swede (6.5x55).

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Nice P250uas.

I am looking at the model with the fluted stainless barrel. Lighter yet I believe. I would like to be in at or under 7.5lbs with scope, mounts and sling. I bet that is a real shooter.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Agreed, 7mm-08. Tikka makes accurate rifles

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Nice P250uas.

I am looking at the model with the fluted stainless barrel. Lighter yet I believe. I would like to be in at or under 7.5lbs with scope, mounts and sling. I bet that is a real shooter.

We'll see after this weekend. The fluted barrel would look nice. Not sure how much weight that saves.
I imagine going with a smaller scope would cut the weight down as well.
Without the scope/rings/base, it weighed in at just over 6.25 lbs without the magazine.

Posts: 15285 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Of the cartridges above - the 7mm-08.

But I'd really like one in 6.5mm Swede (6.5x55).

I suspect it may be a long time before the 6.5 Swede chambering is imported to the US. The older T3 Lites are available (when I last checked a week ago) in carbon barrel, Mossy Oak camo stock.

Posts: 830 | Registered: September 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
So I was at the fun store and was looking around. See this Tikka. Newest version I suppose. A couple upgrades of the previous model. Nothing earth shattering. But nice.

I am thinking about selling one of my old Remington 788' (which I love) to get one of these lite weights?

Any thoughts on them? Which caliber? I like larger caliber. big game rifle.

7mm
30 06
300 win
7mm 08

already have 300wsm in a tikka
other?

No go?
Better option?

Thanks

What I liked about the original T3 Lite was the light weight, 6.18 lbs. The T3X Lite data sheet lists a weight that's closer to 7 lbs, making it not so light. I would prefer the T3 Lite, unless the listed weight of the T3X Lite is in error.

Posts: 830 | Registered: September 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just an ACARS message
with feelings
Picture of qxsoup
posted Hide Post
Proud owner of 2 T3's here. One in 6.5x55 as a matter of fact. It took me three years to track one of those things down. Just buy it. I suggest Talley rings by the way.

220/229/228/226/P6/225/XO/SP2022/239

Posts: 3062 | Location: The Queen City (the one in Ohio) | Registered: May 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sundo:

What I liked about the original T3 Lite was the light weight, 6.18 lbs. The T3X Lite data sheet lists a weight that's closer to 7 lbs, making it not so light. I would prefer the T3 Lite, unless the listed weight of the T3X Lite is in error.

As posted above, my T3x Lite Stainless weighs in at 6lbs 3.2oz, which is 6.2lbs, with the magazine removed.

And with a scope base, rings & a Nikon Monarch 5 ED 4-20x50 mounted:

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by qxsoup:
Proud owner of 2 T3's here. One in 6.5x55 as a matter of fact. It took me three years to track one of those things down. Just buy it. I suggest Talley rings by the way.

Talley rings are very nice for those. I had them on a .223 Tikka T3 Varmint I had.

Too bad they don't offer more models in 6.5x55. The Lite in that round would be the cat's pajamas.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
The Tikka factory listed weights for the lightweight models are not correct. My Tikka Hunter Stainless Fluted in 260 Rem weighed exactly 6.0lbs right out of the box.

With the EGW rail, Seekins rings, and Trijicon 3-9x40 mounted up it weighs 7.1 lbs. A very sweet shooter and an excellent lightweight hunting rifle. I will be using this for Antelope hopefully next fall. Since you already have the 300WSM I’d consider the 260 Rem or 270 Win options.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nice P250uas.

The fluted barrel one is the super light, does the one you're looking at have a camp stock? They used to be exclusive to cabelas and sportsmans warehouse and had a different camp pattern depending on where you bought it.

I'd get an 06 or a 270. I'm pretty much over magnums for all around hunting rifles now. 308 would b a fine choice as well.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also something else to keep in mind is that the. Ew t3x dosent come with rings like the t3 did.

If you get a t3x, I'd suggest taking a look at the mountain tactical rail system, it's pretty awesome and you can use any rings you want.

I got the mountain tactical stuff on a t3 superlite. I replaced the recoil pad, recoil lug, plastic shroud (the t3x already has an aluminum shroud) and added the mountain tactical rail.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
This is my buddies T3 Laminated Stainless in 270 Win. It weighed 6.8 lbs right out of the box.

With the EGW rail, Seekins rings, and Nightforce SHV 3-10x42 mounted up it weighed in at 8.5 lbs, obviously a bit more due to the heavy scope. This is another very sweet shooter that shoots bug holes with Hornady 145 grain ELD-X Precision Hunter ammo. When compared side by side it actually feels even softer than my 260 Rem since his 270 weighs a little bit more. I think that 260 Rem and 270 Win are excellent choices in these lighter Tikka rifles.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post