SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    My Rem 700 5R SS .308: sell or keep?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Rem 700 5R SS .308: sell or keep? Login/Join 
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted
I bought this last year. Had great expectations. But it's just sat in my safe. Never fired. Never scoped. And I'll never get around to it, likely. I bought it thinking I might try target shooting, but my heart's not in it. I hunt. And my guns are either self defense guns or hunting guns. So I think I am going to sell it, and buy something else along the lines of what I'm into. Still got the box, paper, hex wrench.

Prices on Gunbroker range from a low of "nevermind, I'll keep it" to "screw that, you can keep it." I know what I paid. Not concerned about that. Just wondering what a fair asking price would be.

And no, I'm not attempting to sell it here. Just getting opinions on selling price. As well as stock options.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Micropterus,

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Not sure what you hunt 'In The Swamp', but that looks like it would make a fine hunting rifle to me...Just Sayin' Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8880 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
For a hunting rifle, it's very front end heavy and the stock is target or stationary shooting stock. It might be fine from an elevated blind overlooking a bean field.

I haven't decided what I am going to do with it. I'm not sure what my stock options are for a slimmer sporting stock with this barrel contour.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
How about just under the NIB prices on Gunbroker?

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I would say $1200 is probably the "right" price. Not saying it would necessarily sell for that, or sell quickly for that. Could be a bit more depending on your local market and how bad you want to sell it.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
A sort-of relevant question: Is anyone aware of increased demand for model 700 Remingtons in the wake of all of the turmoil affecting the company?
Or perhaps the opposite?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
New ones have dried up, and they dried up quickly. I was lucky to get my .270 and .30-06 700 BDLs when I did. OEM parts have dried up. Actions have dried up. There are plenty of used ones on Gunbroker, just like every other brand. But new ones and old new stock 700s are NOT being sold at bargain prices. They are, for the most part, commanding premiums. I see rifles that were going in the $7-800 range selling for $1,000+, with people buying BDLs for $1,100. I did not pay that much for mine, but the seller had several .270s when I bought mine and after I got it the price when up a great deal and they still sold them all. My .30-06 sold at a premium price, but not quite what they are commanding now, new.

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I don't specifically know about Remingtons, but in general, used guns are sky high right now. Now, I don't know if they're actually selling for what people have listed them for... that's a different story.

We have a very good local classifieds forum with a lot of traffic and I visit a few times a day. When I look at rifles, 70% are tactical and I don't pay much attention to them, but hunting rifles that *I think* should be $600 are all $750-800. And in fact, I am actually seeing better deals on used hunting guns at my LGS rather than personal sales on the forum. The deals are few and far between right now.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
When I ask "what would be a good price for..."
It got kicked. I was accused if wanting a bidding war.

Id look on gun broker and see what they were going for.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Well, if someone wants to close the thread, that's fine. I'm certainly not soliciting any offers here, nor will I accept any based on this post. I'm not going to list it on Gunbroker. If I decide to sell it, I'll place an ad at my club first.

Anyone have know of any options for a sporter stock for SA 700 with this barrel contour? I'm assuming a stock for a 700 BDL short action with a "heavy barrel" would be correct? Something like this?

https://www.bellandcarlson.com...lay&category_id=1125

I'm a little concerned about different terms for heavy barrels. Bull barrel, heavy barrel...

Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
^^^^
If your rifle is similar to my early 90's 700 Varmint heavy barrel, it may already have a quality HS Precision stock on it. Mine was an excellent shooter, if a bit hefty for all day carrying.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15575 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
That's the whole thing. As is, without scopes and sling, it's already over 8 lbs. Not conducive to all day carrying. It's also extremely muzzle heavy. So it's not very "handy." I never bought it for that. It's great for what I intended it for, but I've lost interest in that and now I think it's going to be hard to convert it into an acceptable hunting gun. I wish I had gotten a stainless Model Seven in .308 instead. Oh well, not the first gun I've lost my infatuation for.

Edit: it's up for sale at the club. I'll give it awhile to see if there is any interest before heading over to gun broker.

posted Hide Post
I sent ya an e-mail with questions a couple days ago... probably ended up in your spam folder.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it were me I'd try selling it for right around what I paid for it, assuming all the fixings are still in your possession, including the factory box. We've however painfully noticed in our shop that bolt guns really aren't selling all that well, unless it's some chassis gun and has "that tactical vibe". Unless the buyer is a reloader or is already heavy on the caliber, trying to find ANY ammo for the gun will be painfully hard, particularly so in AR-10/semi-auto friendly .308.

-MG

Posts: 1989 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Well, it's a .308. I have an case of Federal 7.62x51 XM80, 500 rounds, that has been sitting around for a long time that I've never dipped into. I was thinking of making it a package deal. Rifle and 500 rounds of 7.62 ammo. It's not ideal, match ammo for that rifle, but should work well and be reasonably accurate out of that gun.

I have it listed at my club. No bites yet. But it's been cold, rainy, and the club hasn't been getting a lot of traffic this month, except the indoor range. Half of the outdoor rifle lanes are completely closed until spring undergoing improvements. I suspect I'll get some interest in the spring when more rifle shooters start showing up again.

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
You're right the ammo is not a great match.
The 5R can be made into a fantastic precision rifle or still even decent as is with good ammo.
I put mine into a AICS chassis, Jewell Trigger and Nice scope and it is a tac shooter.

Posts: 22905 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had one exactly like this put a badger rail rings and a Leupold M4 6.5-20 on it....

probably had 3500 into it...

My son's AI 308 was better... sold it and never looked back

If you keep it get rid of that trigger it really is bad

Posts: 344 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: September 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
I sent ya an e-mail with questions a couple days ago... probably ended up in your spam folder.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry, I didn't post this to sell it here. See my January 28 post above. If I decide to list it here, I will post it in accordance with Para's rules. I'm going to try and sell it locally first to avoid shipping.

No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
I had one for a while, and if it was the first year or two, they came with a great Macmillan stock from the factory. a great shooter, and under an inch with Fed 168 GM match. If you would like an accurate gun, work on or replace the trigger and KEEP it. If you'd like a threaded barrel, that's different.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2009 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post