SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    How fast can you run your pump shotgun?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How fast can you run your pump shotgun? Login/Join 
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted
Since I bought a shot timer I've been timing all sorts of stuff.

Last night I loaded up my 20 gauge Winchester defender and timed how long it took me to get 8 shots off at a torso target at 10 yards from low ready.

Total time was 2.74, first shot .24, with mostly .32-.33 splits. I had one .53 and one .24 but mostly .33s.

With some practice I might get that down some but I thought that was pretty good for a first try. The gun also has the youth stock and friend on it so it's a little cramped for me. Big Grin

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3188 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I've never tried; that would be a fun test, though!
The only shotgun I currently own will also slamfire, so that could be useful. but it's also a very long barrel.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an 1897 so about as fast as I can imagine I'd need due to slamfire.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
My rate of fire is determined by the limitations of my 870. If I cycle too fast, it skips a round. I have had to train to slow down for reliable feeding. I can cycle faster with reduced recoil rounds as the reduced recoil doesn't keep the shells suspended in the tube as I cycle the action while riding the recoil.

This is with Remington 2-3/4 managed recoil 00 Buck.

This is what happens when I cycle as fast as I can with standard 2-3/4 buckshot.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I have an old Ithaca, so I could do it like Herb Parsons. I don't know how fast though.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
ive got a bunch of shotguns but none of my other pump guns are as fast as my slamfire Ithaca 37 DS. accuracy and speed is impressive with low brass

Posts: 404 | Registered: October 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
Benny6, ive got a few 870s but my fav is a USSS,SBS but they all run perfectly as a fast as I can cycle..is it possible youre short stroking the action when you're trying to hurry?? kinda looked like it but its hard to tell.

Posts: 404 | Registered: October 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
My rate of fire is determined by the limitations of my 870. If I cycle too fast, it skips a round. I have had to train to slow down for reliable feeding. I can cycle faster with reduced recoil rounds as the reduced recoil doesn't keep the shells suspended in the tube as I cycle the action while riding the recoil.

Looks like short stroking to me. Slowing down and using loads with less recoil seems to reduce your tendency to cycle incorrectly.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anubismp:
I have an 1897 so about as fast as I can imagine I'd need due to slamfire.

This one of our local Cowboy Action shooters, Widowmaker Hill, shooting 6 rounds single loaded from his belt from his '97...

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/nNrxq3X1dic

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I won’t discount the possibility that I’m short stroking it. However, I noticed over many range trips as I got more familiar with using these that once there was only two left in the tube, I could shoot the last three shells as fast as I could without feeding issues.

Less mass in the tube meant the spring could keep the shells against the shell latches. I also noticed this doesn’t happen as easily with my other 870 that does not have a +2 extension.

I’ll get a Wolf extra power mag tube spring and try again with a go pro on the other side so I can slow-mo the video to see if I’m short stroking.

Tony

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I have no idea. Razz

I cheat and use a Benelli. Big Grin

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
I won’t discount the possibility that I’m short stroking it. However, I noticed over many range trips as I got more familiar with using these that once there was only two left in the tube, I could shoot the last three shells as fast as I could without feeding issues.

Less mass in the tube meant the spring could keep the shells against the shell latches. I also noticed this doesn’t happen as easily with my other 870 that does not have a +2 extension.

I’ll get a Wolf extra power mag tube spring and try again with a go pro on the other side so I can slow-mo the video to see if I’m short stroking.

Tony

I watched the video and I think that this is causing your issue. It doesn't look to me like you are short stroking. I think you are cycling the action while the shells are still moved away from the shell catch by the recoil. This would explain why it goes away when you are shooting lighter loads.

You could use a Wolf Extra power mag tube spring OR you could get the Nordic Components spring and cut it down yourself.

It is really long, intended for competition guns where we are using 10, 12, and sometimes even 14 round tubes. General rule of thumb for long tubes like a 12 round is to have 12 to 14 inches of spring protruding beyond the end of the tube before putting the end cap back on.

If reloading quickly is not a factor, I would just experiment and cut it down until you can get the number of shells in the tube that you want and leave it at that length.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
Not that it matters, but I cannot run my 870 fast enough to cause issues. But that's just me. No idea if various years and configurations matter in this. Nor can I outrun my win1300.
But like many things in life maybe I'm just slow.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
RTWY bolo4tom, the only shotguns I own that can keep up with the Ithaca are my semiautos and my O/U.
(O/U for 2 shots obviously)
Not nearly as clunky as an 1897 action either! Also, the 37 doesn't care how you grip it, the 1897 doesn't care but YOU WILL.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Okay, got a 5-pack of Wolff extra power springs on the way.

Tony.