SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Short barreled upper in 6.5 Grendel
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Short barreled upper in 6.5 Grendel Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Mostly , this is an exercise.... I like to make a "better mousetrap". Smile

Here are some numbers from the internet ( so be skeptical) comparing 556 and grendel from 12 inch barrels:
1. 556- muzzle energy = 906 fpe ....the Grendel at 300 yards = 950 fpe So, the Grendel has more energy at 300 yards than the 556 has at the muzzle.
2. At 900 yards: 556 is going 886 fps ( 96 fpe) ie: subsonic While the Grendel is still supersonic at 1175 and still has 376 fpe ( about equivalent to the muzzle energy of a 9mm handgun.
3. because there are supposedly some European countries that have adopted the Grendel...I can find cheap ammo ( Wolf ammo is selling for about 23 cents per round which is similar to 556 prices)
4. This is just a fun build for me...I'm not going into battle,thank God. I like short , handy guns , therefore the 12" barrel. If I really wanted to optimize any caliber , I would choose a longer barrel....but that's not the goal.

Hope this helps clarify .... mike

Posts: 1264 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
found these charts when I was researching.
My goal was a bigger plinker round (fun build like mike28w) before having to go to .308. If I decide to do that instead, I'll just buy a SCAR-17. Which I really don't want to drop $2700 on, then have to SBR it, then get a suppressor mount, etc...

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/b6-5cm41618-m-1287

$100 for a barrel. Then factor in cost to cut and rethread.

I haven't decided what to get yet but I committed myself to 6.5 Grendel by buying mags and a case of ammo today. I also bought an adjustable gas block for the build.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Interesting topic, I looked hard at the 6.5 before going with the 6.8 for my hunting upper. The 6.5 had legs but for my needs, furru critters under 300m away the 6.8 was my pic. Also I will be adding an SBR upper in 6.8 for hunting from a blind with mt AAC 7.62.....

My 16" Bison arms upper is a MOA at 200yd with Hornady 120gr SST.....which both thrilled and to be honest shocked me.

Anyway, not meaning to detail the topic, I am very curious to see the results

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I'm going to break down and get the 16" rifle kit with bcg from 22mods4all for $368. Will sell off the lower build kit to a coworker to cover the cost of cutting and rethreading by ADCO. Going to finish building a pistol lower to move my 22 upper over so I can use it's sbr'd lower for the 6.5. I confirmed with AAC that my 762SDN6 will work with 6.5 Grendel.

Not minority enough!

posted Hide Post
Hi Chowser,
Just a beginner , but let me suggest that you make sure that the recoil system is carbine length. I ran across a lot of barrels that were either mid-length or rifle length gas systems. Depending on how short you cut your barrel , the gas hole may be too close to the muzzle to work properly ( I'm told).

This is just advice from an amateur so take it for what it's worth !! Have fun and good luck. !! mike

quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
I'm going to break down and get the 16" rifle kit with bcg from 22mods4all for $368.

Posts: 1264 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjames
posted Hide Post
Here's what my SBR Grendel did at the range. 12.5inch Ballistic Advantage barrel and bolt, from a bipod, suppressed.

Posts: 2505 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: August 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the groups .... I hope my gun will shoot Wolf ammo as well as yours !!

Picture of sjames
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mike28w:
Thanks for the groups .... I hope my gun will shoot Wolf ammo as well as yours !!

I was really shocked by how well it shot! I only shot that one group at 100 just to see where it grouped in correlation with the ELD-M that I had zeroed with but I was in a rush to wrap up so I didn't really look at the target until I got home.

The Wolf seems to be a promising training ammo for 6.5G and makes the caliber that much more desirable due to the cheap training ammo.

Posts: 2505 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: August 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I checked with them. It's a Bear Creek 16" barrel with carbine length gas. I finally got my lost Brownells package in with the Superlative Arms adjustable bleed off gas block for this build.

Not minority enough!

Picture of rangeme101
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mike28w:
Hi !

All I'm trying to do , is buy a reasonably priced 12" barreled upper in 6.5 Grendel , mostly for plinking.

As best I can tell these things are as rare as hen's teeth.... Lot's of long barrels but short barrels...good luck.

I would greatly appreciate suggestions !

Thanks, mike

PS: Yes, I have an SBR'd lower.

If you still want a 12” barrel. Wilson Combat is getting out of AR biz is what I heard. I know you bought already but figured I show u this.

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/mo...tinfo/TR%2D300SBR12/

" like i said,....i didn't build it, i didn't buy it, and i didn't break it."

Posts: 1299 | Location: N. Georgia | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rangeme101:
Wilson Combat is getting out of AR biz is what I heard.

I'm curious where you heard that Wilson is backing away from ARs. Roughly a year ago, Wilson introduced their 9mm pistol/AR line. This year they've increased calibers offered in the AR-10 platform -- IIRC adding 6.5 Creedoor, 6 Creedmoor, and 7mm-08.

I do see that Wilson has certain rifle-related items on sale. I think it's been almost two years since Wilson had relatively big items on sale. They used to do this twice a year, once around Thanksgiving and another sometime in the spring. I have purchased discounted rails, BCGs, bolts, a receiver set, an upper, and a barrel in prior years. The current sale includes some complete uppers at a 15% discount -- a fairly common discount rate in prior years. IMO the timing of this sale doesn't necessarily mean Wilson is changing their business model.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post