SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Rifle idea for people who live in restricted states.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rifle idea for people who live in restricted states. Login/Join 
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I think most people only care about the AR. There are a few fixed mag options, but none of them are great. I don't know if any of the "window" lowers (where a 10 round mag drops, but doesn't come out of the gun, and you load ammo through a port in the side of the lower) ever came to market.

What I want to do is see if a Cammenga Easymag will function while still in the gun. Then see of there's a way to block it to 5 or 10 and still work in the gun and still load it. You might have to drill a hole in the front of the lower to load through.

Posts: 21101 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigwagon:
An FN-49 fits the bill too, although are rather pricy these days, especially compared to an SKS. But similarly configured with a fixed 10 round magazine that loads through the top with stripper clips, along with a wood stock, no flash hider, etc.

My point though is if you have a fixed mag, you can have 'features' such as a pistol grip, flash hider etc.

I'm thinking a mini-14 style receiver that is made with a fixed mag and accepts stripper clips. Then a full modern construction, polymer, flash hider, pistol grip whatever you want. Since the mag is fixed, it wouldn't run afoul of any laws.

I've seen the video of the side charger for the AR and it looks really silly and slow.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of deadmanmike
posted Hide Post
Already been done in the AR Platform:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcP9NsXrm1Q

=============
Certified Sig P-Series Armorer
Certified AR-15/M16/M4 Armorer
Certified 1911 Armorer
Certified Glock Armorer
Certified Sig P320 Armorer
Certified Glock Advanced Armorer
Certified MPX Armorer
Certified MCX Armorer

Posts: 1587 | Registered: June 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
As the locals say... fuck DSI.

Posts: 21101 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
No real market right now that the SKS or an M1A cannot fill.

Now California or NY laws country wide, I guarantee you there will be SKS’esqe rifles a plenty across all price spectrums with rails galore.

Also a 30/30 lever action is a fairly serious piece of hardware throwing 170 grains of lead, that chambers fast and tops off easily.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deadmanmike:
Already been done in the AR Platform:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcP9NsXrm1Q

Nothing in that video is at all what I'm talking about. In fact, the products in that video are precisely why I started this thread.

Pulling a take down pin to reload a mag from the top? Having to buy a FORTY dollar side loading fixture the in videos is very clunky to work?

Again, open top receiver that can take a proper, super cheap and plentiful stripper clip. No coming in from the side, no having to pull take down pins.

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
As an aside I don’t think most folks realize how effective an SKS with stripper clips really is. Not to mention the amount of ammo you can carry with only a stripper clip being the extra bulk.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For California, a "featureless rifle" works okay. Buttstock has to be made non-telescoping, pistol grip can be covered up with a kydex wrap. Otherwise the rifle is pretty much untouched.

I have a Tavor with a pinned and welded muzzle brake and a grip wrap. I can use 30 round pre-ban mags and be fully legal. The Cali minimum length is 3o", and I am 1/8" over thanks to the muzzle brake.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
As an aside I don’t think most folks realize how effective an SKS with stripper clips really is. Not to mention the amount of ammo you can carry with only a stripper clip being the extra bulk.

I took a look on youtube, and I must say it looks to be a practical alternative, and priced right (Chinese Norinco)make anyway. So fixed (internal) 10 rd mag, fed by stripper clips, no moving stock, no pistol grip, stout load (7.62 x 39). A survivalist rifle good to at least 100 yds. - 200 yds? Is having a bayonet attached not a problem in CA?

What is the preference hierarchy?
1. Russian
2. Yugoslavian
3. Romanian
4. Chinese

Posts: 3232 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
The California compliant assault rifle. Get one before CA decides 19th century tech is too deadly for civilian ownership. Roll Eyes

Seriously, though, one of these in 357 would make a good home defense rig in one of the restrictive states. Ten shots of 38+p, easy to top off as you go.

We all might be sporting these soon! Smile

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rpm2010:
What is the preference hierarchy?
1. Russian
2. Yugoslavian
3. Romanian
4. Chinese

If I had choice and availability:

1. Russian
2. Chinese
3. Romanian
4. Yugo

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14180 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Another vote for a surplus SKS with a chrome lined barrel.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Before I jumped at the chance to move to free America I was oppressed resident of the new york gulag. For me the best answer was ( and to a large degree still is!) the M1 Garand. No legal questions and while I enjoy large capacity detachable mags as much as the next guy or girl, I cannot envision too much that 8 rounds of 30/06 can’t solve. Super rugged reliable rifles. And with the CMP just getting 100k more in stock not buying one seems illogical

Posts: 3287 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
I cannot envision too much that 8 rounds of 30/06 can’t solve.

“There ain’t many troubles that a man can’t fix
“With seven hundred dollars and a thirty-ought six!”

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47399 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did some looking around online and I didn't know how much you could mod a SKS to make it into a Modern Sporting Rifle.

Maybe I should grab me one to play with just in case my state continues losing it's mind.

Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
I did some looking around online and I didn't know how much you could mod a SKS to make it into a Modern Sporting Rifle.

Maybe I should grab me one to play with just in case my state continues losing it's mind.

Not a lot without the 922r compliance BS. However, I see the value in finding one in as good as original condition as you can and keeping it that way. Spend your money on ammo and enjoy. Unfortunately, they are reaching into 5 bills these days when all is said and done. Good hunting.

Posts: 3509 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:

The SKS is a perfect rifle. Not perfect in that it's a sniper rifle, or good for close quarters, or anything like that, it's perfect in that there is nothing you can do to improve it, especially with Tapco plasticrap bolted on. There's some aftermarket sights that are better than factory, but beyond that, spend your money on ammo and chargers. Don't try and mod it into a "modern sporting rifle," you'd be wasting your time and money.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
A Mini 14 fed by an internal clip like a garand would be neat for commie staters.

Posts: 9957 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:
There's some aftermarket sights that are better than factory,

Tech Sights http://www.tech-sights.com/sks-products/

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14180 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
A Mini 14 fed by an internal clip like a garand would be neat for commie staters.

I'm with you. I always had an easier time with en-bloc clips than with stripper clips. Throw on a low profile red dot and it would still be a pretty sleek little rifle.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post