SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Rifle idea for people who live in restricted states.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rifle idea for people who live in restricted states. Login/Join 
posted
It appears to me that a lot of these states focus their restrictions on rifles with detachable magazines that don't look like hunting rifles.

I wonder why no one has developed a fully 'featured' rifle with a fixed magazine and an open top receiver like the Garand to accept clips.

It seems to me like this would be a much nicer solution than some of the silly accessories I have seen people being forced to buy.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
i'm still trying to figure out those goofy ass grips on the rifle that you can't get your thumb behind. how are you supposed to hold it? damn things look dangerous to me.

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Many older military bolt action rifles were designed to be loaded with stripper clips from the top of the receiver. Is that what you're referring to?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lever action rifles could see some action, if bans take place at some point.

Posts: 3232 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Probably because if Ruger (or anyone) were to do their version of the SKS it would cost close to 2 grand. They dont make em like they used to. I wonder how many SKSs there are in NY these days.

Posts: 3507 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nasig:
i'm still trying to figure out those goofy ass grips on the rifle that you can't get your thumb behind. how are you supposed to hold it?

Like you would a bolt action rifle...with your thumb over your trigger finger

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14180 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSentry:
Probably because if Ruger (or anyone) were to do their version of the SKS it would cost close to 2 grand.

...I wonder how many SKSs there are in NY these days.

In CA the SKS is the ultimate rule beater.

10 round magazine semi-automatic without a pistol grip and with a guide for stripper clips built into the bolt. Reliable and accurate...if you use good ammo

Posts: 14180 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
I believe that the stripper clip top loaded fixed mag AR is a variant made for CA. Or was, as newer illegal restrictive laws may have banned it.

Didn't CA require the registration of the SKS, and then confiscate them?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Many older military bolt action rifles were designed to be loaded with stripper clips from the top of the receiver. Is that what you're referring to?

I was referring to the Garand.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSentry:
Probably because if Ruger (or anyone) were to do their version of the SKS it would cost close to 2 grand. They dont make em like they used to. I wonder how many SKSs there are in NY these days.

I was thinking more along the lines of a modified mini-14 that with a welded in mag fed with clips.

The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
Welding the magazine is a bad idea.

But essentially, what you're talking about is an SKS. Or a VZ58 with a fixed magazine. It wouldn't be a Garand type thing you're looking at, because that would require some heavy modification with very few, if any, advantages over using chargers/strippers.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
The California compliant assault rifle. Get one before CA decides 19th century tech is too deadly for civilian ownership. Roll Eyes

Seriously, though, one of these in 357 would make a good home defense rig in one of the restrictive states. Ten shots of 38+p, easy to top off as you go.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8215 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mr kablammo:
Didn't CA require the registration of the SKS, and then confiscate them?

Nope. You might be referring to the SKS models that were converted to accept detachable 30rd mags

Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:
But essentially, what you're talking about is an SKS. Or a VZ58 with a fixed magazine.

A fixed mag VZ58 would be a great rifle and the mod would be easy as it already comes with a stripper clip guide built in

quote:
It wouldn't be a Garand type thing you're looking at, because that would require some heavy modification with very few, if any, advantages over using chargers/strippers.

Agree with this. Converting any rifle to use a Garand type clip wouldn't be worth what it would cost and wouldn't offer any advantage over a stripper clip fed rifle

Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
The California compliant assault rifle. Get one before CA decides 19th century tech is too deadly for civilian ownership. Roll Eyes

Seriously, though, one of these in 357 would make a good home defense rig in one of the restrictive states. Ten shots of 38+p, easy to top off as you go.

Be a great companion to the Chiappa Rhino .357 revolver. They both look like shit are unconventional looking . Big Grin

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
I was referring to the Garand.

Sorry, thought you were referring to the loading system when you said this (which is what I was referring to):

quote:
a ... rifle with a fixed magazine and an open top receiver ....

Are you really thinking about a new rifle with proprietary en bloc clips?
I would be very hesitant myself to bet any serious money on the commercial success of such an endeavor.

But then you say this, which is essentially what I was referring to when I mentioned stripper clips, so now I’m truly confused.

quote:
I was thinking more along the lines of a modified mini-14 that with a welded in mag fed with clips.

(The above, BTW, is similar to what the M14 uses. Although its magazines are detachable, they can be loaded from the top using stripper clips while locked in the rifle. The stripper clip guide is that small projection at the rear of the ejection port. So, yes, I suspect that if the Mini 14 were modified to take stripper clips and the magazine were fixed, it would probably work.)

Time for breakfast.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted Hide Post
There is a product out there that attaches to the ejection port of a standard AR15 that allows you to feed it with a proprietary mag charging devise.

"Escaped the liberal Borg and living free"

Posts: 2225 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An FN-49 fits the bill too, although are rather pricy these days, especially compared to an SKS. But similarly configured with a fixed 10 round magazine that loads through the top with stripper clips, along with a wood stock, no flash hider, etc.

Posts: 2479 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I'm with some of the above. Lever in 357 Mag. Doesn't looks scary. Fits the criteria. 357 Mag rounds are screaming out of a 16" barrel.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8847 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:
I'm with some of the above. Lever in 357 Mag. Doesn't looks scary. Fits the criteria. 357 Mag rounds are screaming out of a 16" barrel.

Something to look at....357 Mag lever action.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/comp...g-boy_1894C_1873.htm

Posts: 3232 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post