SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Scope base and ring question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope base and ring question Login/Join 
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted
I bought a Savage Ashbury precision rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor awhile back. I installed a Burris XTR 8-40 scope and mounted it on the Savage base that came with the rifle and used Burris 34mm rings that have the ability to allow different MOA adjustments when installing. I chose to try 20MOA. The scope rings are medium height.
I also changed the stock to a Magpul with a adjustable cheek riser, butt plate adjustment, and lenght of pull.
I found the scope too high for a proper cheek weld and for eye alignment with the scope. It also seemed that the 20MOA placed the rear eye elevated so that sighting through the scope at higher magnification was all but impossible while trying to make cheek contact with the stock. I have about 3/4" from the bottom of my front objective to the barrel shroud.
I have decided to go back to ground zero and try another scope mounting system.

I would like to get the scope mounted lower.
With the Burris rings (set at 20MOA) I can't get a 100 yard zero even with the scope adjustment all the way down.I'm still several inches high.
The range I shoot at offers 600yards as a max.
At this distance I probably could live with a flat scope mount when shooting the 6.5. It would be nice to have some built in MOA.

What scope bases and mounts have you long distance shooters found to work for you?

Posts: 4622 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your scope has only 70 MOA of total elevation adjustment, so you need to properly choose and mount your rings.

The ocular lens position is too high for a good cheek weld for you, so this must be dealt with.

I suspect you have way, way more than 20 MOA in your current setup -- effectively maybe even hundreds of MOA. I don't know anything about your rings and rifle. Is it possible that your rings are backwards? Meaning, try swapping the positions of the front and back rings.

Is the base on your rifle flat? This could be an issue if it isn't flat.

Posting a good picture of the setup from the side of the rifle might be helpful.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
Your scope has only 70 MOA of total elevation adjustment, so you need to properly choose and mount your rings.

The ocular lens position is too high for a good cheek weld for you, so this must be dealt with.

I suspect you have way, way more than 20 MOA in your current setup -- effectively maybe even hundreds of MOA. I don't know anything about your rings and rifle. Is it possible that your rings are backwards? Meaning, try swapping the positions of the front and back rings.

Is the base on your rifle flat? This could be an issue if it isn't flat.

Posting a good picture of the setup from the side of the rifle might be helpful.

FRITZ - You were correct.
I did an "autopsy" of the scope and ring/base installation.
The base is a factory rail, I did not change it.
The rings are Burris Signature XTR rings (Burris XTR II 8-40x50 F class scope). They come with inserts that fit inside the scope rings. They have combinations of 0, +5,-5.+10,-10, +20,-20 (MOA) depending what and where you install the inserts you can move your scope around up, down, left, right.
My goal was to build in 20MOA. I picked the WRONG insert combo and actually put in over 40MOA.
I corrected to the 20MOA I was after.
THANKS for your suggestion!

Posts: 4622 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update. It's always good to learn the resolution of such problems.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47399 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post