SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    1st AR 15 SIG Next AR Colt 6720?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1st AR 15 SIG Next AR Colt 6720? Login/Join 
posted
I have the SIG M40 enhanced and I added a vertical grip and rail and Lily long and slim Magpul handguard. This handguard is actually made for an AR with a A2 front sight but my range modified it so would fit on the SIG.

I am considering another AR and I wanted something of quality that is closer to 6 pounds but to still stay in the midprice range. I came up with the Colt 6720 which is 6.3 pounds, thin barrel, and currently is selling online for around $840. I would probably need to spend about $150 to change the furniture but after that but after that expense I would have only spent about $1000 for a quality rifle.

My other option is to get a Daniels defense V7LW which weighs in at 6.05 pounds. The only place I can shoot my AR is at my range and it is only 25 yards distance. While I very much like the Daniels defense rifle I do not know if I need to spend the extra money. The rifle is about $1600 plus sights.

Any opinions or suggestions I would appreciate but please keep in the mind that the rifle must be close to 6 pounds for me.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 883 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
I prefer DD rifles. I think they are better than Colt. I dont think they are twice the price better.
Id personally get the best of both worlds, buy a DD complete upper, then assemble the lower yourself or get a compelte Colt lower, I think Brownells was selling them for 300.00?

That being said, if the DD is of more interest to you at the 1375.00 price point, shoot me an email and I can help you out.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
Colt lower is 250.00
https://www.brownells.com/rifl...56mm-prod109740.aspx

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 6920 is sort of the benchmark rifle in this area. You won't go wrong on one. I'd get the OEM2 version personally since the handguard is an area I always replace. DD rifles are an upgrade to the 6920 but if you are limited to 25 yards at the range there is no way the price premium is worth it.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
Get the 6720, given your criteria.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/ca...3REM5.56NATO+16.1%22

DD builds a great rifle but I can't justify their price to myself.

6920 has a heavier barrel and it sounds like lighter weight is important to you.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just came across this BCM rifle. Anyone familiar with this brand and model? More than the colt but only 5.8 lbs.

https://shop.bravocompanymfg.c...rbine-750-790-lw.htm

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Picture of CAR
posted Hide Post
I think all four rifles you are considering are excellent choices.

Handle all of them, think things over, and choose the one that you like best.

Posts: 926 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
6720 = light and fast-handling. I have the BCM "version", with a lightweight barrel and carbine-length gas system.) If I could've had the Colt for a reasonably close price at the time-- five years ago?-- it would've been a solid contender.

I bought the BCM as a patrol rifle, something I'd spend far more time carrying or pointing than actually firing. I still ran it through a few classes without noting any of the accuracy issues touted for lightweight barrels when they heat up a bit. The rifle remains more accurate than I am. A partner with a 6720 (similar setup) reports the same.

Can't say enough about BCM's quality control & customer service. Honestly, you'd be hard-pressed to go wrong with either the Colt or the BCM.

DD makes an excellent product (their rails & mounts are my usual go-to collection) but I'm not sure it rates the current going price.

Posts: 2459 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SSAreGreat:
I just came across this BCM rifle. Anyone familiar with this brand and model? More than the colt but only 5.8 lbs.

https://shop.bravocompanymfg.c...rbine-750-790-lw.htm

I own a similar variant BCM rifle. Mine has the 15 inch rail that's a magnesium/aluminum alloy. I've shot the snot out of it without issue. Since getting my SBR stamp back (also a BCM) I found myself shooting that more this past summer. It's a fantastic rifle. Bravo Company is my "go to" AR 15.

Posts: 1865 | Location: Westlake, OH USA | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I'm accustomed to building my own rifles.

As such, $1400 for a stock carbine is salty....

Are you open to building?

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
My 6720 sits next to the bed. It is the handiest little carbine. LOVE the pencil barrel. Accuracy is great. I can shoot someone in the head 10 times out of 10 at 200 yards with nothing more than a 1x Aimpoint mounted. And it's closer to 6 lbs than 6.3 lbs.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bubbatime,

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of drew3630
posted Hide Post
My 2 cents - get the Colt lower and a BCM upper. I have a couple of them and they're pretty lightweight

quote:
Originally posted by WARPIG602:
Colt lower is 250.00
https://www.brownells.com/rifl...56mm-prod109740.aspx

Posts: 244 | Location: Northern California | Registered: June 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a big BCM fan. I've got the 14.5 with permanently pinned muzzle device upper and the KMR rail. It's very light and shoots very well. The enhanced lightweight barrel is a actually a tapering barrel that weighs about an once less (according to the website) then their standard lightweight (pencil) barrel that would be closer to the 6720. FYI the BCM is a mid length gas system and the colt is a carbine length gas system.

Do you have any plans for modding the rifle? Do you have a need for a free float barrel?

I'd personally grab the 6720 keep the stock furniture, throw a simple light mount on it, a sling and an optic and call it a day.

You could get that BCM upper for $893 with bolt and charging handle (Link).and the lower for $395 (Link) for the grand total of 1,288. However, BCM is about to run a black Friday say and take 7% off the upper (63) and the lower ships free to your FFL.

Posts: 4584 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:
I'm a big BCM fan. I've got the 14.5 with permanently pinned muzzle device upper and the KMR rail. It's very light and shoots very well. The enhanced lightweight barrel is a actually a tapering barrel that weighs about an once less (according to the website) then their standard lightweight (pencil) barrel that would be closer to the 6720. FYI the BCM is a mid length gas system and the colt is a carbine length gas system.

Do you have any plans for modding the rifle? Do you have a need for a free float barrel?

I'd personally grab the 6720 keep the stock furniture, throw a simple light mount on it, a sling and an optic and call it a day.

You could get that BCM upper for $893 with bolt and charging handle (Link).and the lower for $395 (Link) for the grand total of 1,288. However, BCM is about to run a black Friday say and take 7% off the upper (63) and the lower ships free to your FFL.

Thanks for the response CD228. I would probably be changing out the furniture on the 6720 and that could add a cost of another hundred and 50 or $200 to the rifle. The free flow barrel is not actually needed since I am just shooting in a range which shorter distances. The key for me is getting the weight as low as possible and according to his specifications the Colt is listed as 6.3 lbs. vs. 5.8 lbs. for the BCM.

posted Hide Post
I have two Colt 6720's. I bought the first one and put on a newer Eotech, 1 point sling mount and a sling. Accuracy is pretty good and it cycles everything.
Worked out so good, I bought another one just in case. One is none and two is one.
My first AR I purchased was the Sig M400 Enhanced also. Never had a problem with it and it was a solid rifle.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I have several BCMs. They are all outstanding. Equal to DD if not better. They have a great reputation. At least get the BCM upper if not the entire rifle.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drew3630:
My 2 cents - get the Colt lower and a BCM upper. I have a couple of them and they're pretty lightweight

A Colt lower with a BCM upper is a good way to go. I have that exact combo in my safe as well.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like DD and have one of their complete uppers.

That said, I'd choose between the 6720, the BCM, or the Colt lower/BCM upper as suggested by others. The Colt lower/BCM upper option looks like it would basically split the difference price-wise between the 6720 plus furniture and the full BCM rifle.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I'll admit, I'm a Colt snoob. They just work. A 6720 is my go to, never leave home without it, last rifle I would leave behind, everything you need and nothing you don't AR.

For the price they are going for nowadays I need to buy a second.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post