SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Bought a rare rifle today **** PIC's Added ****
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bought a rare rifle today **** PIC's Added **** Login/Join 
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted
Saw a rifle at one of the LGS’s yesterday. I’d never seen one. So I researched it last night..... bought it today.

It’s a Universal Vulcan .44mag, pump action. There were somewhere around 1500 made. I’ll post a pic Friday after I pick it up.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: beltfed21,

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I have never seen one before...I Binged it, that is a pretty cool and unusual rifle...You might have already seen this (a PDF owners manual)...

http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/vulcanmanual.pdf

Congratulations on the find...looking forward to the pics Smile

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Very cool. Looking forward to seeing it.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Looks like a neat little gun.

If you get one of the 6 barreled motor driven Vulcans, please do email me to visit. Big Grin

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of usp_fan
posted Hide Post
Looks like a pump action M1 Carbine. Interesting.

Posts: 2501 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: March 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I had never heard of these before, either. Really looking forward to a range report. Seems like a pretty neat little gun.

Posts: 17054 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by usp_fan:
Looks like a pump action M1 Carbine. Interesting.

That's pretty much exactly what it is. Some of the parts are even interchangeable with USGI M1 Carbine parts.

Universal Firearms, maker of the Vulcan 440 carbine, was the most prolific of the commercial M1 Carbine manufacturers. They wanted to develop a M1 Carbine variant with a larger cartridge than .30 Carbine, and ended up making it pump action because the M1 Carbine's short stroke tappet system couldn't handle the extra pressure of the .44 Magnum. (Plus, it was designed primarily for hunting, where rapid semiauto shots aren't as necessary.)

And yes, they're fairly rare, with only about 1500 Vulcans ever produced.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very interesting and cool gun. Odd thing is it was produced 45 minutes from my house and I've never heard of this particular gun. Have heard of Universal in the M1 carbine world and had no idea that they were so close to me.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I has a UNI m1 carbine. even though they were prone to cracking i never had an issue like that. I used old milsurp ammo. I loved it traded it out years later. Well loved and cared for.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the lateness of pics. Busy week! Anyway, you'll notice that from the front of the receiver to the back it is basically an M1 Carbine. The rear mount point is part of the receiver unlike an M1. The bolt is M1 with the surrounding rim milled off and the extractor has been modified. The rifle came with one original plastic mag (4rds), one after market steel mag (5rds), but a standard M1 mag fits right in it. I believe that I'll be able to modify the M1 mag to work. The serial numbers started at 1000 to 2500. This one is under 12xx.

posted Hide Post
Thanks for your post. What a cool find! I hope that it shoots great for you. SO interesting! :-)

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Super cool toy- I love any long guns that fire .44 mag; rivals the 30-30 out to 100 yards in energy with a big fat meplat to boot.

I still cannot believe that more companies are not offering centerfire pistol cartridge pump action rifles. I have several lever guns, and two Ruger semi autos, and would buy a pump .44 (or .357 for that matter) in a second.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
Super cool toy- I love any long guns that fire .44 mag; rivals the 30-30 out to 100 yards in energy with a big fat meplat to boot.

I still cannot believe that more companies are not offering centerfire pistol cartridge pump action rifles. I have several lever guns, and two Ruger semi autos, and would buy a pump .44 (or .357 for that matter) in a second.

A year or so ago I tried to buy a Remington 788 (bolt action) .44 mag at an auction. It sold for more than I wanted to spend! Ruger used to make a semi-auto .44. They must not have sold enough to justify continuing. I do have a Marlin 1894CB (cowboy, octagonal 20” barrel) as well.

Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by beltfed21:
quote:

A year or so ago I tried to buy a Remington 788 (bolt action) .44 mag at an auction. It sold for more than I wanted to spend! Ruger used to make a semi-auto .44. They must not have sold enough to justify continuing. I do have a Marlin 1894CB (cowboy, octagonal 20” barrel) as well.

I have both of the Ruger semi-auto types. The carbine is lighter and handier, but the Mini-14 based Deerfield is much more robust and less prone to breakage.

Roger makes a dandy .44 bolt gun, but I hear you need to hand load to really benefit from its accuracy potential.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Neat rifle, I like the stock on it. Nice grain! Cool

Posts: 17054 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

My brother in law has one of the Ruger .44 carbines, fun rifle, but finicky with 44SPL. He traded it for a Mossberg riot gun & sold that one to fund a GP100.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
quote:
quote:

My brother in law has one of the Ruger .44 carbines, fun rifle, but finicky with 44SPL. He traded it for a Mossberg riot gun & sold that one to fund a GP100.

The .44 semi-autos were for magnum only; .44 special would have barely cycled it.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Which brings up another positive for the Vulcan being pump action... They'd be able to handle a wider variety of ammo, with everything from powder puff .44 Special loads up to extra stout .44 Magnum loads.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Wow, nice! Thanks for sharing... I would have bought that if I had seen it too!

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7177 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:

The .44 semi-autos were for magnum only; .44 special would have barely cycled it.

Well then, that explains a lot.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post