SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    So I bought an AUG
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So I bought an AUG Login/Join 
The Quiet Man
posted
I've always wanted one, so I broke down and bought an AUG m3a1. After playing with it a bit, I wish I'd bought one sooner. Super handy and compact rifle. Haven't had a chance to shoot it further than 50yds yet, but it seems on par with my ARs for accuracy with m193 and cheap 55 gr range fodder (which is all I'm shooting in 5.56 right now). I dropped a set of Magpul BUIS and a Romeo 5 I pulled of a fun rifle just so I'd have some sights on it, and it's a joy to shoot. Trigger is a bit heavy, but cleaner feeling than I expected with a bullpup.

It runs it's own magazines, but I haven't had any trouble finding them for decent prices. Both Magpul and Steyr magazines work and appear to be solidly built. Mag changes are slower than with an AR, but with just a little practice I'm finding they aren't THAT much slower. Oddly I'm finding that I prefer the 42 round magazines. They really don't seem to get in the way as much as I expected they would and they give me a bit more to hold onto when stuffing them into the well.

I have discovered that brass loves to hit the plastic right behind the ejection port and leaves marks. I'll be sticking some velcro for padding there on range trips. It's purely cosmetic, but I don't want my stock looking like my dogs Nylabone after a couple thousand rounds.

So, anything I should know about the platform? Other than the fact that it is the ideal weapon to protect my home from invasion by a barefooted Bruce Willis of course.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
Awesome! I've always admired the AUG and always say I'll buy one when my wallet is fat and I come across one. The problem is, my wallet doesn't stay fat long enough. One day perhaps..

Posts: 822 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats. I've come close several times over the years to finally getting one but something else always seems to take precedence, plus my MSAR clone never seems to want to break like the internet says it's supposed to. I also can't decide if I want the rail or one with the factory scope/carry handle, which despite its meager 1.5x(?) power, aesthetically appeals to me a 'classic' sense.

One thing MSAR apparently got right: spent brass kicks out right into the stock just like your AUG. I caught that a little late so my stock wears plenty of scars. I did put a piece of skateboard tape over the area to prevent any further damage, though it's probably a good thing that I'll never convert this rifle to a left-hand configuration because that sand grit piece of tape now refuses to let itself loose from gun!

-MG

Posts: 1979 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Congrats. I’ve always been drawn to bullpup rifles, and the AUG sets the standard it would seem. My first was an old Norinco 86S AK variant that I traded away almost 30 years ago- and wished I hadn’t. I mull the AUG over a couple times a year.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15559 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love my Aug, shes my travel gun and goes every where with me in Conus. I too prefer the 42s. Esstac makes mag pouches that are Aug specific if you are looking for pouches. They fit AR mags as well but accommodate the lip. I put a Zeiss 1-4 ZQAR on mine and changed the charging handle out for a Gearhead works folding mech.

For mag changes I'm stupid fast on an AR but I'm also trained for that. I think given time with the platform I can become faster but it will still be slower overall than the more common magwell location. Its still not bad and you get reliable factory 42s.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Amurr
posted Hide Post
Man I Have always wanted AUG. Enjoy.

Posts: 2628 | Location: On the shore of Lake Lanier | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
It seems like I've always had an AUG, but in reality its only been since the early 90's. Currently I've got an A2 with a NATO stock which accepts AR (NATO) mags ... I've yet to buy one of the new US production models.
Years ago different companies had different ideas on how to improve the trigger, Trigger Tamer is still in business which simply lightens the spring weight a bit, another company I don't recall their name and a few years ago Rat Worx came out with a new sear, I'm not sure why but its called a "2020 sear" and it works well with the Trigger Tamer, the sear, besides being smoother also reduces the long pull.

Enjoy!

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5706 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an AUG. I'd like to find an original-style riser and glass. It just isn't right without it.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
I have an AUG. I'd like to find an original-style riser and glass. It just isn't right without it.

Which model? not sure but I might have an extra picitinny rail for the USR/A2, can't help you with the glass.

posted Hide Post
I have an MSAR AUG clone. It has been problem free. I highly recommend the Trigger Tamer

Posts: 668 | Location: NH | Registered: December 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
MSAR here also, bought in 07.
Chris from RatWorx did the steel mag catch upgrade for me at the first bullpup shoot at no charge in about 10sec flat.
Got a spare parts kit from the MSAR CS rep at the time they were popular at no charge also, I can't remember his name but he was THE go to guy at MSAR.
It wears a trijicon ta31f rco 4x32 and to date it has never missed a beat.

Posts: 286 | Location: midwest | Registered: May 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Probably msar Dave/jagercommando

Posts: 267 | Location: South Florida  | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
The AUG was still a pretty rare beast with only 3000 black 16”, 3000 green 20”, 3000 USR’s imported... there were also 1500 stripped “special receivers” imported ... I keep thinking there 13,500 but I don’t remember what the other 3000 was.
MSAR came in at a time when the only other choice was paying $4-5000 for an AUG ... I didn’t get one as there were so many reports of problems then customer service started going down hill.

There was also another clone, the TMP, mostly made from AUG machine gun parts kits and if memory serves an Australian F88 replacement receiver and just enough US parts to be compliant with 922r.

posted Hide Post
The AUG is such a fantastic rifle. To me, the A3M1 is the best iteration ever made. It’s what the A2 should have been.

quote:
Originally posted by kimberkid:

There was also another clone, the TMP, mostly made from AUG machine gun parts kits and if memory serves an Australian F88 replacement receiver and just enough US parts to be compliant with 922r.

TPD made their own billet receiver. Also made barrels. They were reportedly getting new AUG parts from Steyr, until Steyr released the A3 in the US.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2318 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JoshNC:
TPD made their own billet receiver. Also made barrels. They were reportedly getting new AUG parts from Steyr, until Steyr released the A3 in the US.

Thanks for the correction Josh!

posted Hide Post
I've had 2 Steyr's since my first AUG which was a TPD. The Steyr's are excellent but in actuality the TPD was even nicer. Too bad they couldn't stay around. I still have one Steyr and it's my goto HD rifle. A bullpup is MUCH handier indoors and I seriously doubt my Home Defense needs will ever exceed 30rds much less 42!

I had a Factory 3x scoped rifle (NOT the 1.5x) and it was a nice setup but IMHO a modern 1x-6 or 8x illuminated dot is a superior if more expensive way to go. It's hard to beat the 1x with a dot for close in and then be able to zoom out to 6x or higher for longer ranges.

For Military use I can certainly see the AR-15 platform as being superior for most things other than Urban work with it's superior mag change and other ergo's but I still love the AUG for indoors. The Tavor is another superior Home Defense Carbine, with a Geisselle Trigger and Bow it's trigger rivals good AR Triggers. Somehow the AUG just FEELS better to me, a gun I always wanted and finally have gotten to enjoy a couple of. One of my all time favorites despite the heavy trigger.............dj

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
You might try the trigger upgrade mentioned in this video:

Posts: 4155 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
I've had 2 Steyr's since my first AUG which was a TPD. The Steyr's are excellent but in actuality the TPD was even nicer. Too bad they couldn't stay around. I still have one Steyr and it's my goto HD rifle. A bullpup is MUCH handier indoors and I seriously doubt my Home Defense needs will ever exceed 30rds much less 42!

I had a Factory 3x scoped rifle (NOT the 1.5x) and it was a nice setup but IMHO a modern 1x-6 or 8x illuminated dot is a superior if more expensive way to go. It's hard to beat the 1x with a dot for close in and then be able to zoom out to 6x or higher for longer ranges.

For Military use I can certainly see the AR-15 platform as being superior for most things other than Urban work with it's superior mag change and other ergo's but I still love the AUG for indoors. The Tavor is another superior Home Defense Carbine, with a Geisselle Trigger and Bow it's trigger rivals good AR Triggers. Somehow the AUG just FEELS better to me, a gun I always wanted and finally have gotten to enjoy a couple of. One of my all time favorites despite the heavy trigger.............dj

I agree wholeheartedly. I've had my two pre-ban A1s for going on 30yrs now. For the longest time, they were my only 5.56 rifles. I have since branched out to FS2000s and Tavors. Like DJ, The AUG is my favorite and I really admire the design and build quality. They are truly iconic firearms and a joy to own.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
I agree that the AUG feels better than any of the other bull pups out there. I had an FS2000 for a couple years and I tried to like it but the ergos just felt really weird to me. I’ve tried to like the Tavor, but it also seems a little weird to me. I don’t have an AUG yet, but some day I will. They just feel “right” to me, and even though they are heavy in paper the balance nicely on the shoulder for me. I think they are really nice rifles.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5576 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The original AUG and the FS2000 are the two rifles on top of my "regret I didn't get when they were readily available" list. I borrowed a friends' AUG when I suffered a fracture in my left shoulder and was able to shoot our qual course one-handed. Granted, the course was no challenge to begin with, but the ergos of the AUG make it a superlative close-quarters rifle.

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post