SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Knights Armament "Light Assault Machine Gun"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Knights Armament "Light Assault Machine Gun" Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted
(No, that's not some West Coast politician's made-up gun term. Yes, that's what it's actually called. Wink )

It's a pretty innovative new(ish) design from KAC.

The latest in a line of machine guns based on Eugene Stoner's earlier Stoner 63, Stoner 86, and Stoner 99 LMGs, this design combines an interesting "constant recoil" concept with lightweight aluminum and polymer materials to offer a full auto belt fed squad support weapon that is significantly lighter, and has dramatically reduced recoil, compared to other belt-fed squad MGs.

This Light Assault Machine Gun is designed to be fielded as a squad automatic rifle. Similar role to something like the old M1918 BAR or the USMC's new M27 IAR, only belt-fed. Or like a lighter, more mobile, and more controllable M249 or M240/M60, just with a slightly lower firing rate and slightly less capability for sustained fire.

There are two version, with the smaller in 5.56 coming in at 9ish pounds, and the larger in 7.62, .260 Remington, and 6.5 Creedmore coming in at 14ish pounds. That's half the weight compared to the 17ish pound 5.56 M249 or 27ish pound 7.62 M240. (And 9 pounds is less than many folks' AR-15s...)

5.56:
https://www.knightarmco.com/12627/shop/military/lamg

7.62 et al:
https://www.knightarmco.com/10...op/military/762-lamg

They barrels are quick-change, and integrally suppressed assemblies are available, with the gas ports already set up for suppressed firing. Just pop in the suppressed assembly when you need it, and pop in the standard assembly when you don't, with no tweaking of the gas system required.

Ian McCollum from Forgotten Weapons/InRangeTV has a couple YouTube Videos that cover this weapon.

One breaks down the concept, internals, and features of the KAC LAMG:

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EF9UThg7PkM

And another video features him firing it at the range, especially showing off controllability and minimal felt recoil from the "constant recoil" system, as well as the integrally suppressed barrel:

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hsOrULshco

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
looks awesome and deserving of a hard look by the DoD

very innovative IMO.

of course they need to make sure it's Marine-proof and GI-proof... Big Grin

look at the minimal recoil - practically zero - from the shoulder fired position in that last video at 12:20 really cool

------------------------

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sig209,

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is exactly like what I would want the M249 replaced with as opposed to the M27.

Belt fed with quick change barrel, 2 requirements for any serious MG IMHO.

The only innovation I'd like to see, is a semi/auto selector that in semi mode fires from the closed bolt position and when you rotate to FA after the first shot, the sear would trap the bolt in the open position if you let go of the trigger like any open bolt MG. Best of both worlds, closed bolt accuracy in semi, open bolt chamber cooling when you really need it in FA.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
This is exactly like what I would want the M249 replaced with as opposed to the M27.

Yeah, it does seem like a better option than the M27 for the USMC's initial vision of a lighter replacement for the M249.

But maybe not as much any more, with them now planning to issue M27s to every infantry Marine. I can't really see a whole squad rolling around with LAMGs.

However, they could always do both. A fire team with three M27s and a LAMG would function the same as one with three M16s/M4s and a M249, while also being able to put some serious hurt down in full auto when necessary, and the LAMG gunner would be more mobile than the SAW gunner was.

quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
The only innovation I'd like to see, is a semi/auto selector that in semi mode fires from the closed bolt position and when you rotate to FA after the first shot, the sear would trap the bolt in the open position if you let go of the trigger like any open bolt MG. Best of both worlds, closed bolt accuracy in semi, open bolt chamber cooling when you really need it in FA.

There have been a few designs with that feature over the years, including the FG-42 and M1941 Johnson LMG.

More recently, LWRC also offers the same feature on their M6A4.

FN even produces a version of the SCAR that does it automatically, independent of manual firing mode selection, with a thermal mechanism that automatically switches from closed bolt to open bolt as needed as the rifle heats up. It is called the Heat Adaptive Modular Rifle:
http://www.defensereview.com/f...-bolt-for-full-auto/

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
KAC is primo stuff. It's excellent that Forgotten Weapons has another trip into KAC and IMT's collections for video production. I don't miss any of those videos.

I've enjoyed the heck out of my pair of SR15s.

Reading more about them, their engineering and manufacturing capabilities as well as their QC processes makes my nerdy-science-technical brain tingle in the right spots.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11144 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Between this and the Ultimax, it begs the question of why the marines wanted an “RPK” style AR15. I’m sure someone’s future at HK as a consultant is secure.

Posts: 9957 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
That is awesome. Too bad I could never own one, but a man can dream.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If any of you are in east central Florida, try to get a tour of the Knight’s museum. It’s incredible. Just about every weapon, tank, and missile ever sent to war. I could do the tour each day for a week and still find new things to see.

Posts: 1150 | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post