SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Black Dog Machine .22LR magazines?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Black Dog Machine .22LR magazines? Login/Join 
Inject yourself!
posted
I'm looking at trying the new Palmetto State Armory .22LR dedicated AR upper but I'm curious about the Black Dog magazines? They offer steel feed lips and about the same price as an S&W M&P 15-22 magazine.

If they're good, I'll probably go that route rather than buying a 15-22.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I have been using them for years with zero issues in my Sig 522 and they are good to go.
At first switch to the metal feed lips they had some follower issues that they quickly remedied the issue and supplied free improved followers.
Excellent customer service.

You can also get CMMG mags from CDNN for like $10. They work great too.
https://www.cdnnsports.com/cmm...r-kel-sig522-22.html

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25420 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Black Dog mags at 44mag.com...

http://www.44mag.com/category/black_dog_machine

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10586 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
I've got 6 that I use in my Spike's upper and have never had any problem with them.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
I used them exclusively when I had a Sig 522.

Honestly liked the poly feed lip version as well as, if not better than, the metal lip version.

Bottom line, both worked perfectly in a 522, but I cannot comment on a different platform.

(IIRC, BDM was the contractor for the factory Sig 522 magazine. But I may be mis-remembering that.)

Posts: 10749 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of samnev
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bionic218:
I used them exclusively when I had a Sig 522.

Honestly liked the poly feed lip version as well as, if not better than, the metal lip version.

Bottom line, both worked perfectly in a 522, but I cannot comment on a different platform.

(IIRC, BDM was the contractor for the factory Sig 522 magazine. But I may be mis-remembering that.)

I believe you are correct IRRC that's the mag that came with my 522. First one was very tight and had to return it for a replacement. Works in all my 22lr AR 15's but not my M16A1.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: samnev,

Posts: 1836 | Location: Arizona | Registered: June 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
I think a lot of the manufacters use rebranded black dog mags. I have them for my SBR 22lr AR. They are all I have owned and all I will consider owning.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
Same as others, have used them without issue in my 522 and SBR'd AR-22 (Nordic Components) upper.

Get yourself one of the McFadden Lightnin' Grip Loaders , easily worth the cost.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I think Black Dog is generally considered the gold standard for AR-platform .22 magazines.

Posts: 7267 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In addition to Black Dog's steel vs. poly feed lips, they offer "Sonic Weld" vs. "X Form" magazines. Can anyone speak to these differences?

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
The regular Xform magazines are assembled with brass screws that allow the magazine halves to be taken apart to replace the nylon or stainless steel feed lips...the sonic welded models are "glued" or welded together and cannot be split to allow feed lip replacement...the spring keeper, spring and follower can still be replaced through the bottom of the magazine...

It just let's Black Dog sell them cheaper...they still carry the life time warranty and they will replace them if for some reason the feed lips fail.

I have both the nylon and steel lip mags as well as the original magazines where the feed lips are molded into the magazine body (it's the only one I have had fail...chipped lip edge)...and BD replaced it no questions asked with the replacement being an X-form...

I can see no difference between the nylon and SS lips as far as function and wear.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10586 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post