SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Remington 870 express
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 870 express Login/Join 
Where there's smoke,
there's fire!!
Picture of techguy
posted
Do you think the Remington 870 express tacticals are dependable shotguns? Anything to look out for? Thank you.

Posts: 1773 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: February 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
My agency has a couple marked Express and with one exception, I’ve never seen any problems with them for nearly 20 years. With certain inexpensive birdshot ammunition we use for training we’ve had a few fired cases refuse to be extracted by pulling on the slide, and it was necessary to resort to a butt strike to clear it. I have seen at least one identical failure with a non-Express model as well, so the ammunition definitely has an influence.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47394 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One Who Knows
Picture of Brother
posted Hide Post
I had to polish out some chamber chatter marks to achieve 100% extraction reliability with high brass, but it was easy to do, and is now 100% pump friendly. I like the Express, but that is a known potential issue to be aware of.

Posts: 1587 | Location: Central MO | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Weird that they would stick with birdshot. I agree that would be an ammo issue. But for the life of me, I can't figure out why it would stick.

As far as the 870 in general goes, there is little difference between the Express, SPSs, and Wingmasters except finish and parts materials. The 870 in any iteration is an iconic pump gun known for reliability. So yes, you would be well served by it.

I've had several 870s come and go. An SPS with rifle sights that took interchangeable choke tubes. I fired all manner of rounds through it. Never had any issues from light rounds, to buckshot, to rifled slugs, to sabot slugs, 2 3/4" and 3".

My favorite 870 was a camo'd National Wild Turkey Federation model that I had an extended extra-full choke tube on. I fired the heaviest 3" turkey loads through that. Never missed a beat.

They are easy to maintain, and parts are pretty much ubiquitous (though OEM parts are starting to dry up a bit).

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
870 Express is good to go. Even though I currently have a Mossberg riot gun sitting in my closet, the 870 is my pick of pump guns.

Posts: 937 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
My agency has a couple marked Express and with one exception, I’ve never seen any problems with them for nearly 20 years. With certain inexpensive birdshot ammunition we use for training we’ve had a few fired cases refuse to be extracted by pulling on the slide, and it was necessary to resort to a butt strike to clear it. I have seen at least one identical failure with a non-Express model as well, so the ammunition definitely has an influence.

I've seen this as well both with my personal 870 Express HD (bought new in 2006), and some of our agency guns. The like some brands of ammo better than others. Earlier this year in our reserve academy a student had a brand new 870 Marine Magnum that would lock up after every round...so tight that you couldn't even mortar it out of the chamber. We had to use a dowell and a mallet from the muzzle. We told the guy to send it back to Remington.

My express is an acceptable gun. I load it with ammo it likes and I am confident it will work. If I had my druthers, though, I'd have an older Wingmaster or Police instead.

Posts: 8528 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
I looked at a new Express years ago. While it probably is a good shotgun, it looked and felt like a very cheaply made shotgun and at the time they did not have a very good reputation. I walked out with a well used Wingmaster for less money.

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
I would be hesitant to buy ANYTHING Remington right now.
At least until the dust settles on the bankruptcy and all that.
I would like to know that my gun has "some" kind of warranty attached to it.

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1539 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I have a 15 y.o. 870 express that has seen light to moderate use, and has fired up through 3.5 inch super magnum heavy loads. It has been absolutely reliable, and it points and patterns well.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12765 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
I'd never heard of stickiness with the 870 Express having never had any issues with my own 870s. So I googled it and it's a thing with the 870 Express going back many years. It's not a "Remington has gone down hill issue" since there are some very old posts about it. It's apparently a very easy fix, requiring some simple polishing. I don't see a consensus on why it happens. Tight chambers exacerbated by a rougher finish is my guess. I've never had an Express but my Special Purpose guns worked flawlessly with even the highest pressure loads.

I still wouldn't hesitate to buy a new 870. Even with Remington presently OOB. The gun is pretty much the standard for all other pumps. Even if OEM parts are short right now, aftermarket parts abound. Just about any gunsmith could work on it. In fact, it's easy enough that anyone with a little patience and a competent set of tools could handle most problems. And the new owners of Remington said the first gun they are prioritizing when they reopen is the 870, so OEM parts should reappear at some point.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
there were some issues at one point when the Super Mag 870's came out,

we sent a handful back to Rem to fix, then suddenly the returns stopped, ,

the quick fix on those was to pull the 'dust cover' out of the bolt and they supposedly ran well w/o it,

never tried it, and it has been a few years so my nomenclature may be off

other than a few folks not happy with the plastic/synthetic trigger guards, and the parkerized finish was prone to some rust,, not issues

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
The one real issue I had with mine was their finish loved to rust. I forget what it's called. It looks kind of like a phosphate or parkerized finish, but it isn't, it's bluing over a bead blasted surface to give it a matte look. So if I didn't keep it soaked in oil, the whole thing started rusting. I eventually wound up doing a home Gun Kote job on it, problem permanently solved. It worked fine after that and I don't recall any problems with the actual shotgun, but mine was built prior to 2007 when I bought it used for $275 or so. It's possible it was a "good one" because it was only a few years ago a forum member here (can't remember exactly who, but I think they are an LEO armorer) posted that their department wouldn't be authorizing the 870 Express anymore and they posted a number of examples why, including, IIRC, a picture of a barrel with the front bead installed canted off to one side.

So I guess my impression of it is "it depends." I had a good one with a crappy finish, a lot of other people have had a number of other problems with theirs. Some people have no issues. There's plenty of them out there to spin the wheel on. If I was looking for an 870 right now, I'd be looking to replace my mid 70's Wingmaster a family member stole.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P220 Smudge,

Posts: 17101 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
I looked at one a couple years ago and it was a mess. The finish was horrible, the stock wasn't fitted well. It had even developed some rusting while sitting in the LGS. The 870 may once have been great but I fear that is distant history uch like Remington itself.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2385 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
The only advice I have gotten is "change the extractor" to a Police model or some other aftermarket upgrade. Supposedly MIM. I had it changed before it ever fired a shot so I can't say if it helped but mine has beed 100%.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I purchased an 870 tactical in 2013. Because the Express line is made to a slightly cheaper price point, and because there were some reported issues at the time, I made the following upgrades to the 870 Express.

I installed an upgraded carrier latch spring, an upgraded safety switch, an upgraded extractor, an upgraded magazine spring and follower, and an upgraded sear. Purpose was to improve functionality and reliability. All parts were available from Brownell's. Truth be told, I had no issues with the gun before the new parts were installed, but everything feels smoother and operates with more precision since the upgrades. Might be my imagination, or wishful thinking. Parts were inexpensive and very easy to install.

Posts: 77 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: May 30, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Mine is 19 years old and started life as a 28” field gun.
It shot a couple maybe a few thousand rounds of bird shot shooting clays.

I got an 11-87 to take over for that and I bought a Remington 18” barrel, Magpul furniture, Wilson Combat extension tube, dome head safety.

It has since spent its life shooting buckshot with zero issues.

The only complaint is the finish is crap and needs a frequent oil wipe down.
Molyresin or a refinish is on the soon to do list.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25404 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’ve never seen any problems with them for nearly 20 years.

quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Mine is 19 years old...

That would be my hang up, that you may be judging them on guns made 20 years ago vs ones made lately.

I've sen issues with a couple, usually extraction related. Especially with lower cost ammo (people who buy the cheaper gun tend to buy the cheaper ammo)

Posts: 21092 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I've got a 2012 era Express that hasn't given me a single issue. It's not a polished as a Police, but it wears in pretty quick. I replaced the magazine spring and follower, but that was after leaving the factory spring fully compressed for a couple of years. It wasn't giving me any issues, but it just felt softer than I would like when down to the last round in the tube.

I've switched over to a Mossberg 590 for my house gun, but my wife still prefers the 870. I don't have anything against the Remmington, I just ended up buying the Mossberg and liked the way it felt better.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
quote:
I’ve never seen any problems with them for nearly 20 years.

quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Mine is 19 years old...

That would be my hang up, that you may be judging them on guns made 20 years ago vs ones made lately.

I've seen issues with a couple, usually extraction related. Especially with lower cost ammo (people who buy the cheaper gun tend to buy the cheaper ammo)

Correct. Over the years, both gun and ammo companies have done lots to cut corners. Those cheap promotional shotshells they sell at wal mart have a well deserved reputation for causing stoppages. I am talking about the low “brass” ( the base is actually uncoated steel not brass) Winchester.
Also almost all shotgun shells these days have steel bases not brass. Even those that look brass are really just plated steel. I think this is a big factor.
My own 20 year old 870 express does pretty good though

Posts: 3282 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an express also since 2012. I use it as my duty shotgun. It patterns well with our duty load which is Remington low recoil slugs and buckshot. No problems. VI

Posts: 646 | Registered: July 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post