SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    .243 Ammo Suggestion for Whitetail
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.243 Ammo Suggestion for Whitetail Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted
So, from a couple previous threads, my boss has bought a Tikka T3 in .243, and just ordered a Nikon for it.

Next up is choosing a load for it.

Any recommendations for a .243 round for whitetail?

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15289 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
My choice would be an 80gr Barnes TTSX or 90gr Accubond.

In reality, Deer arent that hard to kill. Any factory hunting round 80gr+ should work jsut fine.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
I use 95 grain Federal Fusion, it has been super accurate for me out of my FIL's 1967 Remington 700.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3641 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fight, Build, Destroy.
Sappers Lead the Way!!
Picture of Zacsquatch
posted Hide Post
Ive used the 80gr TTSX to great effect.

Trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up

Posts: 4597 | Location: Winchester, KY | Registered: December 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any of the quality bullets will do the job. I would suggest he buy several boxes of range fodder and make sure his marksmanship is up to par, then try 3-4 hunting loads to see what his gun likes best.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Federal Premium 95 grain ballistic tip should be good. I've used the Federal Premium with ballistic tips in my 308 for years on whitetails.

Posts: 937 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I'm shooting 130gr Winchester Silvertips in my 270 & have been pleased with the performance on paper so far.
Looks like the 243 load is a 95gr round.

Will pass along the other suggestions as well.

Posts: 15289 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Don't hunt much but when I did in two different clubs each had a hunter that used that caliber.
They shot deer and then ask for help to track a blood trail.
That was probably them being jumpy when they shot.
They both were browning auto so its not the gun or caliber in my opinion.
One of the hunters wife also hunted with a new england break action.
Ms Karon always got her deer with that caliber.

Posts: 22409 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
As posted above, a stout larger game bullet should work fine in the 223. Then we have shot placement to keep in mind.

The 223 may not be what I’d pick for a Nov Alberta deer hunt, should do fine in TX though.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
As posted above, a stout larger game bullet should work fine in the 223. Then we have shot placement to keep in mind.

The 223 may not be what I’d pick for a Nov Alberta deer hunt, should do fine in TX though.

*cough* .243 *cough* Big Grin

Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Sorry, for some unknown reason I had 223 in my head. Carry on.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Lots of suggestions for premium bullets, and that’s fine. However, whitetail deer aren’t hard to kill. A 100 grain cup and core will do just fine. Hornady even makes a load for the .243 called “Whitetail” using the 100 grain interlock.

The 130 grain .270 interlock is superb. I’d think the .243 bullet would be similar.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8215 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Thanks guys. I'm shooting 130gr Winchester Silvertips in my 270 & have been pleased with the performance on paper so far.
Looks like the 243 load is a 95gr round.

Will pass along the other suggestions as well.

All but one of the many many Mule Deer and Blacktail Deer I ever brought home was with a 270 Spitzer Boattail 130gr bullet. And every one was with a Remington 721

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6312 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a big fan of the Federal Premium Vital Shok with Sierra GameKing bullets. I've never lost a single animal using these bullets in 270 or 308.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/ca...100gr+243+Winchester

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
100 gr Nosler Partitions for me. I have shot Sierra GameKings as well, but the partitions shoot better in my gun.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post