SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Need Help With Palmetto Lower Receiver - Upper Doesn't Fit - Update in first post
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need Help With Palmetto Lower Receiver - Upper Doesn't Fit - Update in first post Login/Join 
Back in Black
posted
I was trying to put my pistol upper on it, which fits just fine with my Aero Precision lower, and it won't go on. Specifically,the upper won't go back far enough. I looked inside and can see what I think is the problem. Pictures are below. Every other lower I have seen, including a bunch on the internet, have less threaded material between the pin and the trigger area. I believe some more material should have been removed here. Is this something I need to send back, or would it be safe to try to file a little away myself?

*Update* - So a month since I contacted them and jumped through all the hoops to return the serialized item, I finally got the lower back today. Long story short, they didn't do a damn thing to it. No note or anything, but I compared it to the original pictures and tested it on the uppers it didn't fit and it is exactly as it was when I sent it in. Complete and utter waste of time.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RobC2,

Posts: 1147 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Call Palmetto customer service and ask to have them take yours back and replace your lower. Maybe your front receiver pivot pin hole is mislocated/out of spec. It costs them nothing and in about 5 seconds with a go no go gauge they will see its out of spec. Stripped lowers cost like $30 anyway.

Posts: 266 | Location: South Florida  | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back in Black
posted Hide Post
It is a fully assembled pistol lower, so more like $200 plus transfer fee. I can certainly return it if I have to, but I would of course rather just trim it a little if it is safe to do so and save myself the time and hassle.

Posts: 1147 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yeah it looks to be out of spec with too much material in from of the buffer retaining pin, probably preventing the upper from fully seating.

Honestly, I'd return it.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back in Black
posted Hide Post
I think you guys are right, better to let them sort it out. I just sent them a message. Thanks!

Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
You are allowed to send firearms to a business for repairs, alterations, etc without using an FFL. Not sure how it works if a new serial numbered lower is the answer. Either way, I’ve no doubt PSA will get it sorted out.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An out of spec PSA lower...
Ermahgerd, how did that happen?
After all, they look just like a Colt, BCM, LMT, Sionics, Daniel Defense and other proven AR's.

Posts: 908 | Location: TX | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Things like this happen with any machined parts...back in my NS railroad mechanic days we received a shipment of Snap On 3/4" impact socket sets that were so out of spec they not fit our 3/4" impact drivers (square drives were forged to small to fit)...bottom line, Snap On made it right. (The Snap On rep was very apologetic to the point I felt sorry for him)...

I think PSA will make it right.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g4tx:
After all, they look just like a Colt, BCM, LMT, Sionics, Daniel Defense and other proven AR's.

I have conversed with dealers who have had to send rifles back to Colt because of assembly or manufacturing flaws. Everyone turns out a lemon now and again.

Did you see the interview with the owner of PSA where he stated he wanted to sell so many ARs that politicians attempt to ban them would be like banning the grains of sand on a beach?

That alone, coupled with my good experiences with their barrels and BCGs, earns them some business from me now and again.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back in Black
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g4tx:

I have two Daniel Defense, a Primary Weapons Systems, and a BCM. I have owned Colts. Not sure your point. Just because something is less expensive, it should still work.

Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Razz...I almost posted that those Snap On black 3/4" drive impact sockets look just like those Harbor Freight impact sockets (but that's a pretty had comparison)...I just feel that with any forged/machined part from any manufacturer is prone to mistakes Razz...that's my opine Smile

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I had an out of spec Aero Precision lower (uber tight magwell), they RMA'ed it and I sent it back to them where they remanufactured it and sent it back.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
Can you put some chalk or something on your rear lug of the upper receiver and see where it is hitting? My eye thinks it spots a missed endmill pass but I have been wrong before.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
They should take care of you. If you aren't getting a quick response via phone or email, they monitor their industry page on AR15.com quite well.

Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
You are allowed to send firearms to a business for repairs, alterations, etc without using an FFL. Not sure how it works if a new serial numbered lower is the answer. Either way, I’ve no doubt PSA will get it sorted out.

If they send him a new SN'd lower he will have to go through an ffl for the new one.

I had an issue with one of my AR lowers from PSA and they repaired it and sent it back to me quickly but told me if it wasn't repairable I would of had to have a new one transferred with an ffl.

The OP should have his issue taken care of pretty quick just like they took care of me.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
You can legally send it back to the manufacturer and they can send it to you (or a replacement) without FFL involvement on your end.

I don't think you can do that with PSA. You can send it to them, but it would meed to be transferred to you.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
You can legally send it back to the manufacturer and they can send it to you (or a replacement) without FFL involvement on your end.

Normally yes but this would possibly involve a new lower and a new SN. That would be an issue.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:

The number of PSA lowers (which are manufacturered by someone else) probably outnumber those others by now.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you start grinding and filing you need to reanodize it. Send it back, on their dime.

-shooter

Posts: 342 | Location: VA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back in Black
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I have decided to send it back. Still waiting on a shipping label. Seems like they are willing to help, just slow.