SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Bragging on my Ebay find/replacing an item I lost years ago.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bragging on my Ebay find/replacing an item I lost years ago. Login/Join 
Page late and a dollar short
posted
Finally found an Outers #600 Duraluminum cleaning rod kit in the tube on Ebay, a BIN for ten dollars plus five for shipping. Tube looks good from photos, rods and handle look good, only has the slotted jag end for using the patch, but not the solid jag.

One was handed down to me along with a Stevens 87A, my step great grandfather's rifle. Foolishly I lost the cleaning kit, I think my M-I-L may have tossed it in the late 70's in some things I left at their house when we moved out west. S*** happens, my own fault for leaving it behind.

Started thinking about it a long time ago but never found another one. Been watching yard sales and recently Ebay. Really fired me up when I see a friend has one in his collection, knew I had to have another to go with my rifle.

Four people were watching it yesterday, could not understand why nobody pulled the trigger on it. They usually are in the 25-40 dollar range plus shipping. Recent ones have the cardboard tubes that look like they have gotten wet and the aluminum rods filthy or like the other one listed has bent rods.

So my Savage may again have the correct vintage cleaning rod to go with it. That made my day while at work yesterday.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Here's another one but looks to be complete with all jags for $10 + $4.30 shipping. Listing ends this coming Friday.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Outer...e:g:WFgAAOSwUYNaMahx

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16196 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I missed that one!

*EDIT: Just looked at it again, this one is a .30 caliber. When I looked at it on Christmas Day I was a bit preoccupied.......

This message has been edited. Last edited by: shovelhead,

————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
I missed that one!

Buy it, too. Have a spare.

Posts: 5161 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's cool that you found the rod kit that matches the era of your Stevens.

However, I do not recommend using it to clean your rifle. Multi-piece cleaning rods are notorious for bending and breaking under force at the joint, with the result being a damaged bore. If the joints aren't tightly mated, one edge of the segment can scratch the bore.

Get a one-piece rod for cleaning, keep the Ebay find for posterity.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fritz, exactly what I'm doing with it. I normally use a Boresnake on everything.

I'm kind of regretting it but in the mid 80's I refinished the stock. While it looks fantastic still to this day I wish that I had left it alone being that it was passed down from my step great grandfather to my mother and then to me. I never met the man, he passed less than a month after I was born.