SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    A nice used find: SA 1911A1 WWII
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A nice used find: SA 1911A1 WWII Login/Join 
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted
Saw this in my LGS a couple of weeks ago. I didn't buy it then. I had one back in the '80s and I sold it. Always regretted it. So a few days ago I ask my LGS guy if he still had it and he did, so he put it away for me and I picked it up today.

The box is a little rough. And there is a hairline mark where the slide stop goes in, and two minor superficial rust sots on the frame, all visible in the pictures. Otherwise, this pistol has no wear on it at all. Not sure it was ever fired much. It was certainly stored in the box.

I sprayed it down with Ballistol and now it smells like the one I had in the '80s.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Wrong sub forum...

But that’s a nice pistol!

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Yeah, why the hell did I post it here? Sorry.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Very nice throwback...looks exactly like "my" 1943 Remington Rand. SA makes a good 1911, too... you're going to enjoy that gun!

Posts: 8540 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
It's a little different than the one I owned in the 80s. That one came in a blue and white cardboard box. And the thumb safety was just a little nub, like an original 1911. It also said .45 CAL on the slide. And Imbel Brazil wasn't on the gun anywhere. This new one of mine has the interlock on the mainspring housing. My pistol from the 80s didn't. Man, I missed that gun. This one is a reasonable replacement. I've owned other SA 1911-A1s, but none, to me, are like the WWII models.

Picture of Gambit
posted Hide Post
I think it's a fortunate man that owns such a pistol!

Posts: 915 | Location: Acadiana | Registered: February 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
My Dad brought a GI 1911 home from WW2, carried it on Iwo Jima his entire time there. Ten year later it was stolen in a break in. I always lamented NOT having it.

Back in the 80's he gifted me one of the SA 1911's , mine came in the blue and white Springfield Armory box. The basic GI 1911 model. To me it's a good replacement. Though I still wish I had the one he carried in the Corps.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always thought it was odd that Springfield sold separate 1911 models called the "GI" and the "Mil-Spec." And neither one was actually correct. The GI had a thumb safety that was larger than a real USGI 1911A1 and the Mil-Spec has taller three-dot sights, slanted slide serrations and a lowered ejection port. I wish someone made a model that actually was correct.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Fundman,

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post