SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Tavor SAR or X95?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tavor SAR or X95? Login/Join 
Picture of Syngin1066
posted
Well, the title kinda says it all.
I'm looking to get one of these two. I previously owned a SAR and liked the way it handled and shot. I do like the mag release and charging handle location on the X95 but the old setup isn't a deal breaker. I'm not going to be mounting a ton of stuff, so the rails on the X95 are not a plus or minus for me.

I've read the the X95 has accuracy issues, does anyone own one? Are the accuracy issues real or internet bs? I've also read that new SAR's ship with the same trigger pack as the X95, can anyone confirm this?
Thanks

All I've had all day is like six gummy bears and some scotch...

Posts: 4851 | Location: Celina, TX | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
i had'nt heard that the new sars were going to ship with any new trigger, just that the X95 trigger would work in a SAR.

Personally, I think it all comes down to manual of arms. if you like the X95 for how it operates, go with that one. That's the reason I stuck with the SAR, even over the adjustable gas block and all that stuff on on the X95. I like how the Tavor SAR works.

I also don't like the look of the X95 all that much, but that's my taste as well.

I hadn't heard of any X95 issues, but that's interesting, of so. I haven't had any issues with my SAR at all!

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
X95 would be my choice, and by a significant margin.

To me the X95 does things incrementally better than the SAR at its worst, and far better at many other places. Out of the box I prefer the grip angle of the X95, and can change it if I wanted something more "AR". The mag release is ambi and more importantly better placed than before, with far less chance of an accidental mag drop than before. The implementation of its covered pic rails is a neat and tidy solution. The repositioned charging handle works better for me. And the rifle in general just seems better ergonomically and balanced than the SAR.

Then there's the trigger; right out of the box the X95 is far superior to that horrid thing IWI thought was passable in the SAR. It still won't fool anyone into thinking that it's a Timney or Geissele, but there's less of a compelling need to go out and find an alternative trigger pack before firing the first round out of the gun.

Plus the X95 configuration is far closer in configuration to what the Israelis actually use as their battle rifle. That itself makes the X95 more desirable in my mind.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I ordered the SAR, but they accidentally ordered the X95 and the lgs offered me 50 bucks to take it, After playing with it for a bit I decided to take the deal and I'm pretty happy.
The only thing the SAR has over the X95 is availability of aftermarket parts like the folding charging handle and that nifty quad rail with built in flashlight but I don't feel the need to change much on my X95 for reasons stated above.

I wish you could get more after market goodies for it but it's pretty much good to go out of the box and I'd do it again in a heart beat. Or just wait for the desert tech MDR

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
had both and sold the sar but still have the x95. i think the desert tech was pushed back again.

Posts: 1046 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
I really enjoy my X95 - no complaints. I keep checking in on the MDR status but it never seems to change...sounded promising...time will tell.

Posts: 4521 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post