SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Hog Hunters: Please recommend a .308 round for me.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hog Hunters: Please recommend a .308 round for me. Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
While I haven't hunted with the round as yet, I've been shooting Federal Premium Match Grade 168s. Hollow point boat tails. Yesterday I was consistently shooting near cloverleafs at 100yds from my 17S.

I've also been shooting a lot of Federal XM80C 149s and they've been pretty darned accurate as well at ~1 MOA.

Any chance it's the shooter and not the rifle? Wink I know there are days when I can go out and not be able to hit a fat lady in the ass with a mop.

"How dreadful are the curses which Mohammedanism lays on its votaries! Besides the fanatical frenzy, which is as dangerous in a man as hydrophobia in a dog, there is this fearful fatalistic apathy." Winston Churchill

Posts: 15743 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
Gustofer,

The lack of capability of the shooter definitely has something to do with it. I also don't have high powered glass on my 17 - 6x is max.

The best groups I'm usually able to shoot, with anything, is around 2", maybe a little better with something that lets me aim a bit finer. But, I do that consistently, at least. So, when something starts performing worse, then I get suspicious.

I should add that I had a buddy join me on this last range trip. When the Trophy Bonded Tip started looking a bit squirrelly, I asked him to shoot some groups. His results mirrored mine, although he's probably a better shot than I am from a bench and with a bipod. Then again, it was his first time shooting a SCAR (although he's a plenty experienced shooter), so who knows how much that mattered.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 10694 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I was thinking about something else today ShneaSIG.

I wonder if it has something to do with your scope or mounts. I read somewhere that the 17 is notoriously brutal on both due to some type of harmonic thing...I don't know exactly, just that it is.

I've got a buddy who had a similar issue with his RRA 308. He put kind of a cheapo scope and mount on and was all over the paper with a rifle that was guaranteed at 1 MOA. This guy can shoot too (former SEAL/UDT). Once he put some quality glass and mounts on it zeroed right in.

I've got a Leupold Mark IV 4.5X14 with a Larue mount on mine and haven't had any problems aside from those that are self-induced.

Just a thought.

"How dreadful are the curses which Mohammedanism lays on its votaries! Besides the fanatical frenzy, which is as dangerous in a man as hydrophobia in a dog, there is this fearful fatalistic apathy." Winston Churchill

Posts: 15743 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
Gustofer,

If my groups were wandering all over the paper, I'd be suspicious of my equipment. Everything is repeatable - I change ammo, adjust my scope's settings to any little POI vs POA shift, and I can then bang away. And, when using ammo that my rifle "likes", I get my usual groups with regularity. For me, using just a bipod and without high magnification, I just don't shoot much better than about 2" groups at 100 yards with any gun. My lousy eyes and lousy trigger finger make sure of that. Hand me the finest bolt-action with the finest scope money can buy, and 100 rounds... and I'll shoot 20 2" 5-shot groups. Maybe more like 13 or 14 because I'm bound to slap the trigger some or otherwise throw some fliers.

I actually did a bit of testing on my scope on Sunday as well. Once I had a good zero for each load, I recorded my scope's settings. Once I had settings for each load, I would set the applicable drift and windage, and shoot a 5 shot group, then change ammo and repeat. I bounced between all of the hunting loads and some Federal L.C. XM80 surplus for good measure.

The scope dialed and tracked properly - groups were centered on the targets. The Power Shok, Fusion MSR, and Nosler Partitions shot very nicely. The Trophy Bonded Tip were pretty consistently wider in grouping. But, then I swapped back to any of the other three loads, and groups tightened right back up.

Scope is a Sig Tango6 1-6x, mount is a Bobro.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 10694 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
Good question, I will be going on a hog hunt in the near future. You scan the web and Remmie 165 gr Coreloks come up alot on successful hunts.

Posts: 1727 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post