SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    PSAK-47, yes/no/maybe?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PSAK-47, yes/no/maybe? Login/Join 
posted
Well, 'tis time again to get a hankering for an AK-47. Ever so often I get this urge to buy an AK-47. I start to look at prices, features and the like. Then I go out and pick one up and operate the bolt and it's all gritty, rough and we'll "blah". I put it down and walk away.

The problem is, I want a nice rifle, but I'm not going to pay more than what a high quality AR 15 cost and be less accurate, bad ergonomics and we'll AK 47 clunky (sorry that's how they feel to me).

The thing is, I realize their place in history, that the AK 47 is a fine combat rifle and I want one so that I can be somewhat proficient in its use.

Sooooo, here I go again. Looking at AK 47's again. The one that I keep going back to is the PSAK-47 from Palmetto State Armory. It seems to be what I'm looking for.

1) AK 47. As in a 7.62X39mm caliber
2) really an AKM-47, stamped receiver
3) has side rail to add red dot.
4) within the budget allotted to it, under $700.00
5) seems to be well made, gets good reviews, at least the last iteration the Gen II with billet front trunion, bolt and now bolt carrier.

I just like to hear from anyone that has one, how do you feel about it? Would you buy again? Would you recommend it to someone that it may be their only AK 47?

Is there a better rifle out there in the same price range? Right now PSA has them for $499.99, for classic and $599.00 with the Magpul furniture. I would rather have the Magpul furniture, I'm not a "traditionalist".

So, what do you say?

Arman

Posts: 3146 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Find a Saiga and convert it.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/774649959

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
I just want an AK to have an AK. This one is on my list. If I wanted something other than a range gun Id probably choose something different. I dont know if youd see a big differnce in any other AK that is withn your budget.

http://palmettostatearmory.com...ontent=11%3a00+Email

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I'm not an AK guy, but most folks are recommending a WASR-10 or Polish rifle in that price range.

https://www.atlanticfirearms.c...detail.html?Itemid=0

AK operators union has a bunch of info on AK's.

Just remember that the Polish Radom and Romanian Cugir made rifles are made in long established factories that have a long history in building quality military rifles. I tend to think they know a lot more about AK's than some kids from South Carolina (PSA)

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I too have this hankering from time to time, and mainly for the same reasons expressed in this thread: globally it's a very popular firearm and I'd like to own one in order to become proficient with it. I start looking at them, and then remind myself how much I hated shooting my buddy's, how rough the action is, how bad the sights are, how the cheek weld doesn't work for me, and how there's not enough room in my safe for guns that I actually like.

Maybe someday a great deal that I can't pass up willl fall in my lap, but until then I'll just carry on without.

Posts: 8415 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
I'm not an AK guy, but most folks are recommending a WASR-10 or Polish rifle in that price range.

https://www.atlanticfirearms.c...detail.html?Itemid=0

AK operators union has a bunch of info on AK's.

Just remember that the Polish Radom and Romanian Cugir made rifles are made in long established factories that have a long history in building quality military rifles. I tend to think they know a lot more about AK's than some kids from South Carolina (PSA)

Lots of good advice in this post.

The old 'Made In America' slogan is fine.. until we get to AKs. In no way, shape, or form do I trust American made AKs. For the price points you're seeing for PSA's, ( and other locally made AKs, ) too many corners are cut to achieve this. They're built on the assumption that Joe-Blow 'Murican here won't really shoot these all that much, so cutting corners is fine.

Foreign built AKs are built on the assumption that they will be needed on countless battlefields and using low quality, corrosive, steel cased ammunition.

Which AK would you rather invest in?

The WASR that was linked above is most likely, your best bet for a beginner to the AK world.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't even consider buying a PSA AK. You can't slap an AK together like an AR and expect it to work. I would be worried about the heat treat on the PSA receivers.

If you want an AK that will run, Chase at Definitive Arms now sells his rifles through copper custom.
I'd get this:
Definitive Arms Romy G build

Posts: 706 | Location: FL | Registered: July 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Well, Definitive Arms have had their problems too.

OP, if you're not in a hurry, it might not be bad to wait a while. The WASRs are the current go-to, and Yugo NPAPs are supposed to be back in the US in quantities by this fall. At the same time, we're still in a weird state of inversion where good ARs are actually priced the same as (or cheaper than) so-so AKs.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of awa762
posted Hide Post
I have always avoided AKs that don't have a chrome lined barrel and chamber. It won't matter if your'e just going to take it to the range and clean it immediately when going home. However, I want chrome lining in all of my "military" guns whenever it is possible.

If the gun gets flooded, or if you leave it in your trunk for a year, or if you have to hanker out in the woods with it in bad weather without a cleaning kit/oil for a while, the springs will rust, but it is overwhelmingly likely that your bore and chamber will still be just fine.

If you want an honest to goodness AK, then don't get the PSA. If you're ok with something that looks / sounds / and functions like an AK but really doesn't have the extra resistance against corrosion in bore chamber, then steer clear of it.

I have Arsenals and they are the definition of legitimacy in terms of old world meets modern AK quality. Aks that are true to the original design will have a CHF chrome-lined barrel.

Join and Support the NRA

Posts: 180 | Location: Greater New Orleans Area... see us on the news??? | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Well, Definitive Arms have had their problems too.

If they have, I have not heard of them. What problems are you referencing?

Posts: 706 | Location: FL | Registered: July 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^^ You're right, I got them mixed up with someone else.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
For another $1-150... buy a VEPR and be done with it, true Russian AK !

Posts: 1242 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of samnev
posted Hide Post
I've had just about every one of the AK47/74'S imported or made in the USA since the 80's. From the early Michell Yugo's, Valmet 62, Wasr's, Century AK's Arsenal's and many others. The Valet 62 was my favorite followed closely by the Arsenal's. In the OP's price range the WASR10 would be my first choice. However the AK'S I shoot most often are Century Yugo M70 and Yugo M72. I was good friends with the folks at J&G Sales here in Prescott, AZ and was allowed to go in back and hand select both. Yes quite a few had canted front sights and a few other maladies but mine are well made great matching wood and have had thousands of rounds threw them over the years. Just lucky I guess. Don't over look them if you can find one without a canted front sight which was there major problem. Should be well within the OP's price range.

Posts: 1836 | Location: Arizona | Registered: June 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Novice Elk Harvester
Picture of ronnied316
posted Hide Post
I just escaped California, and would like to dip my toes in the AK market as well. I've looked long and hard at this:

Atlantic Firearms - POLISH AK47 WBP POLSKA CG1 SERIES

Does anyone here have an experience with Atlantic, and what do you get with an almost $1100 AK, that you don't get with something like Atlantic's $725 WASR?

"SUCCESS only comes before WORK in the dictionary"

Posts: 412 | Location: Kitsap Peninsula, WA | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I'm really not an AK fan, but I too get that itch.
I've got a Yugo M82 and M92 which I've SBR'd, an Arsenal SA93 and put the Magpul Zhukov furniture on it ... I've also got a Valmet M62 tube folder and the ugliest is an Hungarian AMD-65 I built from a parts kit ... it too has the short hand-guard Zhukov furniture and lastly a Yugo M72 RPK Kit with the original barrel and a number matching NoDak Spud Receiver which I've had for at least 10 years and is yet to be built.

In your price range you should be able to get an older Arsenal, like the SA-93 ... and you just can't go wrong with one of them!

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
went to the range today with a friend who just bought a PSA AK.
quite simply.... it was a piece of shit.
It was extremely difficult to get the mags seated... and even then... half the time they would fall out after firing.
The rifle got hot enough during firing that it was DAMN hard to keep hold on it without burning yourself - even the wood grips were getting too toasty to touch.
I personally have a century AK (c39v2) and have had zero of these issues. Mags seat every time first time... and I can rapid fire that thing to my hearts content.

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1523 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not Today
Picture of badcopnodonut!!
posted Hide Post
Norinco makes a very good copy of the AK.

Hi,I'm Buck Melonoma,Moley Russels' wart.

Posts: 2926 | Location: sunflower state | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by badcopnodonut!!:
Norinco makes a very good copy of the AK.

True.

But the problem is that Chinese AKs (along with most other Chinese firearms and ammo) have been banned from import into the US since 1994. So you can't just head to your friendly local gun dealer or online seller and order up a Norinco AK. Wink

They do show up for sale on the used market from time to time, but they're not all that common these days, since they haven't been importable for 24 years. And they tend to command a premium when they do come up for sale, so he'd be hard pressed to find a Norinco AK under his price cap of $700.

In addition, the Chinese AKs were not fitted with a side rail optic mount, which is another of the OP's requirements.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by creslin:
I personally have a century AK (c39v2) and have had zero of these issues. Mags seat every time first time... and I can rapid fire that thing to my hearts content.

If you don't mind my asking, how many rounds have you put through it?

Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
quote:
Originally posted by creslin:

If you don't mind my asking, how many rounds have you put through it?

I don't keep a running tally... But if I had to ballpark a guess... somewhere between 2000-2500

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1523 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post