SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    SAS operator in Kenya’s equipment/rifle
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SAS operator in Kenya’s equipment/rifle Login/Join 
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Peq15 also has a visible laser.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
Sure, but that doesn't change the fact of what that system is primarily used for. Night ops, marking targets, etc.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Sure, but that doesn't change the fact of what that system is primarily used for. Night ops, marking targets, etc.

The main use of the visible laser that I've seen is to zero the IR laser. that's between Iraq and ASTAN with the 101st. Other units might use TTPs.

Posts: 4548 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:
quote:
quote:

The main use of the visible laser that I've seen is to zero the IR laser. that's between Iraq and ASTAN with the 101st. Other units might use TTPs.

Agreed, I was referring to use of the IR laser as well. I never see the visible laser employed in a tactical situation.

Of course that never dissuades people without NODs from getting a PEQ15 to join the cool kid crowd. <laughing> Wink

posted Hide Post
quote:
Of course that never dissuades people without NODs from getting a PEQ15 to join the cool kid crowd. <laughing>

IIRC there is an airsoft clone of the 15 for just that purpose. I'm still trying to figure out how they get both the IR and visible laser to use the same zero, I thought it was kraut space magic at first.

Posts: 4548 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
The visible laser can be used as a back up sight, so they don't need double redundancy with back up irons. On the other hand, most of us don't have a peq15.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I dont think that figures into the logic but if you like it, good on ya.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:
quote:
quote:

Agreed, I was referring to use of the IR laser as well. I never see the visible laser employed in a tactical situation.

Of course that never dissuades people without NODs from getting a PEQ15 to join the cool kid crowd. <laughing> Wink

You are correct that the PEQ15 is primarily for IR / night use and the slaved Visible laser is primarily fir zeroing. However, on a rifle with both and RDS and a PEQ15, the Visible Laser can serve as the back up sighting system. I wouldn’t run it over an RDS, but if your RDS dies it’s viable.

If you have the PEQ 15 and the tube of the RDS, BUIS are redundant.

Posts: 528 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
And they don’t seem to think a backup rear sight is important either.
Plenty in the US Military don't think so either.

I just picked up a Romeo 4s. Probably easy to carry a spare In a sack.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
I just picked up a Romeo 4s. Probably easy to carry a spare In a sack.
I highly doubt any of these guys are carrying an extra optic in their packs, with the exception being a thermal clip on for night use.

Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Badhammer:
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
Anyone else think the knife looks like a Bark River?

I doubt it is but I had the exact same thought when I saw the picture for the first time. The portion of the grip/handle visible in the pic made me think of my Bravo 1.

Curiously enough, Bark River Bravo is exactly what popped into my head as well upon seeing this picture for the first time.

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Posts: 884 | Location: Southwest Michigan | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post