SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Classy Home Defense 870 Wingmaster Gift
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Classy Home Defense 870 Wingmaster Gift Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted
My youngest stepson is graduating college and heading to airline pilot school at the end of the summer. It'll be his first non-school-related housing, so he can finally take his guns with him.

Several years ago, I gave him a nice used 870 Wingmaster with a 28" barrel. We've had fun busting clays with it over the years, and it's his favorite gun he owns. For his birthday this year, I figured I'd help turn it into an equally nice home defense shotgun for his new place.

I ordered an 18.5" factory barrel with the glossy blue finish, and also installed a PGS Tac Cap +1 extension, which was the "classiest" extension I could find. It's aluminum, but it's finished to closely match the gloss bluing on the Wingmaster. (I think it's a really dark, "midnight blue"-ish anodizing.)

I'm considering getting something like a leather buttstock shell carrier too.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
Looks great! I’ve got exactly the same shotgun as a downstairs defense gun in my office.
I really like that +1 cap. Best of luck to him in his studies and job!

Posts: 3537 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's a nice looking wingmaster

Posts: 207 | Location: Baconton,GA. | Registered: April 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ride the lightning
Picture of Killer Instincts
posted Hide Post
Oooh, I like that.

Posts: 2167 | Location: Underway | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnnyD
posted Hide Post
I really like how you thought that out. It all fits. Very nice.

-----------------------------------

USAF/ANG Retired

Posts: 781 | Location: Garland, (Zombieland) TX. | Registered: February 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Looks great! What vintage is it? Does it have the flex tab upgrade? If not, I highly suggest getting it for a fighting shotgun. I did the same with a 1974 Wingmaster.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
How is the chamber on the new barrel? My father could use a short barrel for his old wingmaster, though I am not impressed with recent Remington products.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous.

Posts: 5298 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I forgot to mention, I replaced the magazine spring with a Wolff +10% spring too.

quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
What vintage is it?

It has a "S" serial prefix, which is 1968-1973.

quote:
Does it have the flex tab upgrade? If not, I highly suggest getting it for a fighting shotgun.

It does not. Is that really needed? I've heard arguments both ways.

If so, where can I get the parts? Are Wingmaster chrome parts available? I'd like to keep the same look, and the action is buttery smooth right now.

Remington apparently used to sell an upgrade kit, but no longer.

quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
How is the chamber on the new barrel?

Just fine. Remington still puts TLC into their Wingmaster and Police models, and associated parts like these barrels.

For those interested in a new production 18.5" Wingmaster barrel like this, it's part number F242252.

MidwayUSA gets batches in from time to time. They were out of stock a few weeks ago, then in stock last week, and are now out of stock again.

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...nder-bead-sight-blue

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
that's almost too nice to shoot Smile

don't make them like they used to that's for sure

--------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
that's almost too nice to shoot Smile

don't make them like they used to that's for sure

Almost. It's been shot a fair bit. Big Grin

It does have some fine scratches, wear on the high points, and pinhead spots where there used to be specks of rust, but the finish is still in fantastic condition for a 50ish year old blued gun that's seen use with several owners. The overall shot hides many of the minor imperfections.

And none of the newer 870s can compare to the smoothness of this action.

Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
I forgot to mention, I replaced the magazine spring with a Wolff +10% spring too.

quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
What vintage is it?

It has a "S" serial prefix, which is 1968-1973.

quote:
Does it have the flex tab upgrade? If not, I highly suggest getting it for a fighting shotgun.

It does not. Is that really needed? I've heard arguments both ways.

If so, where can I get the parts? Are Wingmaster chrome parts available? I'd like to keep the same look, and the action is buttery smooth right now.

Here's the factory Flex-tab upgrade kit ($128). Chrome bolt available:
https://tacticalgunsling.com/p...on-kit-remington-870

I consider it essential from a reliability standpoint. If a shell breaks loose from the magazine tube and the bolt is forward and the shell carrier is down, the only way to clear the jam is to tap out the trigger group pins and remove the shell. The Flex-tab modification allows you to simply rack the slide with more effort and the shell in the chamber will eject and the jammed round will chamber.

This guy is a certified 870 armorer and that's his bread and butter. You can buy factory Remington 870 parts and even stripped Remington 870 receivers from him as well as do a custom 870 build through him.
https://tacticalgunsling.com/products

I bought my 870 parts from him. I bought the 18.5" 870 Police High luster "Wingmaster blue" 3" magnum barrel. ($172)
https://tacticalgunsling.com/p...ngmaster-blue-bs-185

Factory Remington Barrels (Police barrels too)
https://tacticalgunsling.com/t/remington-barrels

870 receivers:
https://tacticalgunsling.com/t/remington-receivers

Tony.

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

He doesn't list the parts number, but that barrel looks identical to the barrel I got from MidwayUSA. Likely the same.

Looks like a new chrome bolt is an option, but the new carrier is only available in black oxide. So no more chrome carrier.

I wonder how the new bolt, slide, and carrier would affect the smoothness of the action. This is the slickest shotgun I've ever felt. A workaround for a malfunction is good, but it'd be a shame if it comes at the cost of Express-like action roughness.

And I assume the new production bolt comes with a MIM extractor too?

Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Thanks. He doesn't list the parts number, but that barrel looks identical to the barrel I got from MidwayUSA. Likely the same.

Looks like a new chrome bolt is an option, but the new carrier is only available in black oxide. So no more chrome carrier.

I wonder how the new bolt, slide, and carrier would affect the smoothness of the action. This is the slickest shotgun I've ever felt. A workaround for a malfunction is good, but it'd be a shame if it comes at the cost of Express-like action roughness.

Mine is still smooth as silk. Mine is of a similar vintage (1974). The smoothness is really in the action bars (the pump), the mag tube, and the finish of the receiver. Throw in a nice dab of XF-7 gun grease on the rails and its golden.

My buddy, who has a current production 870 was blown away by the smoothness of the action and I went with a phosphated bolt, not the chrome.

I'm getting ready to upgrade my Ohio National Guard 870 (1970) with the flex-tab upgrades. If you buy a set and don't like them, I'll buy them from you since I'm going to be buying a set for mine later this year.

There's a reason there's so many 870 chrome bolts for sale on e-bay.

Here's my 870 Wingmaster conversion...

Tony.

posted Hide Post
I've dealt with the outfit Benny is recommending. The dude that runs it is a shotgun fanatic and is really into the 870. When I talked to him , he gave me almost an hour of his time sharing advice and recommendations.

I also did the flex tab conversion on an old Wingmaster I got from Summit Gun broker back in the day. I went with the non chrome carrier and it didn't degrade the action.

Posts: 4548 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Beautiful Wingmaster.

I’ve experienced the stoppage Benny mentioned. I was popping crows in the neighbor’s corn field and it locked absolutely solid. Had to trudge all the way back to the house and drive the receiver pins to undo it. I’d hate to have that failure in a life-or death situation because you’d be left with what’s essentially become a club.

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Flex tab is required for defensive use. Required.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Nice gun.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shoot gun,
get check
Picture of Scoobaru
posted Hide Post
quote:
For those interested in a new production 18.5" Wingmaster barrel like this, it's part number F242252.

MidwayUSA gets batches in from time to time. They were out of stock a few weeks ago, then in stock last week, and are now out of stock again.

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...nder-bead-sight-blue

Well hell, RogueJSK, you've inspired me to do something with my 870 that sits unused in my safe. I've had it 28 years and it has sat after I discovered the joys of over/under shotguns. Thanks for the heads up on the barrel!

Posts: 609 | Location: The pointy part of Nevada | Registered: March 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post