SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    SCAR17
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SCAR17 Login/Join 
posted
Looking to pick up a SCAR 17 in the near future. My other rifles are SIGs and after hearing unsupported horror stories about some of them, I am looking to get my next one elsewhere. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Posts: 39 | Registered: March 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
No doubt that the SCAR17 is an excellent rifle, and very lightweight for what it is.

3k is a lot of coin though.

I would consider an LRP07 from JP Rifles. Better factory support, available in a few different calibers, match grade accuracy. (Tyler Payne of the AMU used a JP to win the PRS Gas Gun open division title last year.)

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you want a lightweight 7.62x51 it is in class of it’s own. Otherwise LMT MWS or KAC SR25 is what you seek. LMT 5 minute caliber swaps are a huge bonus.

Posts: 165 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
SCAR 17 is a great lightweight 308 battle rifle.

Most are very accurate as well.

It suppresses and SBRs easily too.

But it is expensive and if you are worried about long term support, you should be ok, but the parts are expensive too - and there can be long waits for specific parts, as FN seems to only give 'excess' stuff to the civie sector.

It is a great rifle and I'm glad I bought mine. But if I was buying today I'd give a hard took at LMT's lighter weight options for the price point.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got one, had it for a number of years. I don't do a lot of rifle shooting, so it has been sitting in the safe mostly. Shot it a bit when I got it, even took a Pat Rogers carbine class with it. Never had a complaint, other than for something that can reach further out, trigger should be better than what it comes with. I've not heard any horror stories other than some people breaking the OEM stock. SCAR is supposedly hard on optics, so I have quality optics on both of mine.

Posts: 481 | Registered: April 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
No doubt that the SCAR17 is an excellent rifle, and very lightweight for what it is.

I would consider an LRP07 from JP Rifles.

+1 to the above

OP --
In my brief experience with a Scar, I found its lighter weight comes at a price -- accuracy that suffers as the barrel heats up.

If you're willing to shell out the money for a Scar, consider all options. The ones that roll off my noggin include:
LaRue
LMT
Black Rain Ordnance
POF
Daniel Defense
Nemo
Noveske
GA Precision

Consider your total investment -- rifle, magazines, optics, optics mount, bipod, sling, or whatever you feel is a necessary part of your rifle.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I could only own one rifle it would be a SCAR 17. It does so many things very well without weighing a ton. Both of mine are sub-MOA 5 shot accurate with good ammo.

I also have an LMT MWS and while it's a nice rifle too it's quite a bit heavier and not quite as reliable as the SCAR in my use. My Scar has never bobbled once my LMT has.

It's not the cheapest option, just the best. :-)

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the part of the gun sphere that it occupies it is the best of the breed. I have lots of .308's but in the grab one and go I'm grabbing the Scar. I have never had the kind of issues fritz suggests in terms of personal defense accuracy. Sure there are lots of other choices that approximate what you get in a SCAR and the AR-10 clones by the best builders are very close (I have 4 of the others on fritz's list and the scar is better than each of those). Downsides are that parts are a bear as FN really doesn't care. Mags are expensive relatively speaking, but you can get another lower to fix that. The aftermarket is obviously robust but nothing like the AR world. So it really depends on what you want it for. I'd recommend the LMT if you decide to head in a different direction.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
I’m also interested in the scar 17, but I’ll hold my coins to see what the B&T APC 308 is all about.

Posts: 2392 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arabiancowboy:
I’m also interested in the scar 17, but I’ll hold my coins to see what the B&T APC 308 is all about.

From what I've seen, re: specs, that thing is a boat anchor. Epitome of quality, I'm sure.

Posts: 1996 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Of all my firearms, I love my SCAR17 the most. I have mine mounted with an ELCAN 1.5-6x. It shots 308 very softly and is more accurate than a battle rifle should be. I also love shooting my MCX SBR.

Posts: 282 | Registered: March 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
Ive owned a few of the higher end AR's mentioned here and found the SCAR to be the way to go. I refused to believe the SCAR could be that much better than other similar guns....then I bought one. As other have mentioned, if Im only bringing one rifle with me, its the SCAR. You can certainly find other guns that may be more accurate, possibly lighter or offer some other advantage but the SCAR is about as good as it gets for a do all rifle.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WARPIG602:
Ive owned a few of the higher end AR's mentioned here and found the SCAR to be the way to go. I refused to believe the SCAR could be that much better than other similar guns....then I bought one. As other have mentioned, if Im only bringing one rifle with me, its the SCAR. You can certainly find other guns that may be more accurate, possibly lighter or offer some other advantage but the SCAR is about as good as it gets for a do all rifle.

What charging handle is that?

Posts: 286 | Location: midwest | Registered: May 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle, Warpig.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogrobber13:
quote:
Originally posted by WARPIG602:

What charging handle is that?

https://www.hi-desertdog.com/f...harging-handles.html

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
Before I put it on a diet

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Thanks a sick SCAR 17 - hows the 1-8x Trijicon working for you?

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
For what I use the 17 for, its just about perfect. Its an ideal power range for clsoe to medium distances.

No worries!
Picture of Chach
posted Hide Post
I’ll add my voice to those that love their SCAR 17s. I got mine in just before the CA deadline and while I payed a bit more than you would in a free state I still feel I got my money’s worth. Fantastic rifle and it will be the one I grab if SHTF. It eats everything it’s fed and does so without a hiccup and with good accuracy.

Brilliant rifle and there’s always talk of caliber conversion kits at some point in the future.

Posts: 3188 | Location: NorCal - Sac | Registered: February 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love mine and like others here it is my go to. I just picked up a super scar trigger though my factory trigger was pretty good.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post