SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Stock help for AR
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stock help for AR Login/Join 
posted
Hi all,

Have a 416 that I really like, but swapped out the buttstock for a Magpul CTR. I do however miss the cheek weld of the HK buttstock and the convex thickness (front to back) of the rubber pad, but prefer the narrower (side to side) rubber pad of the Magpul as wide pads tend to (on my shoulders at least) slip off the shoulder straps of plate carriers and heavy vests, whereas the narrower pads tend to "nest" in and remain stable for me.

I'm looking for a millspec buttstock that will have the convex, thick (front to back) pad and nice, sloping cheek weld of the HK stock, but will have a narrower (side to side) dimensions of the CTR or even the Daniel Defense pad. Is there such a thing?

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I don’t know about all your dimensions, but I really like the check weld on VLTOR AR stocks.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RB211
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
I don’t know about all your dimensions, but I really like the check weld on VLTOR AR stocks.

I'll second that. Very comfortable!

Posts: 2039 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
If the HK pad is long enough, why not trim/sand it to be thinner?

Posts: 9956 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RB211:
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:

I'll second that. Very comfortable!

Thanks. I'll take a look at those.

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
If the HK pad is long enough, why not trim/sand it to be thinner?

I'm probably not being very clear. Imagine holding up a stock and looking at it from the rear. The HK stock is kinda oval/tear-drop shaped, which is SUPER comfortable and fits me really well...until I throw on a plate carrier or a heavy vest. Then I find I don't have broad enough shoulders to allow the width of the pad to really nest in my shoulder pocket without slipping off the straps of the carrier or vest.

Now imagine holding up a Magpul CTR (or STR for that matter), and you'll see the rubber pad is much narrower than the HK. Better for fitting in-between shoulder armor or carrier straps, but less comfortable overall.

I'm trying to find essentially the HK stock but with the pad "width" of the Magpul. While I like your thinking, there's really no way to chop/sand down the HK without it getting really beat up, especially considering it is a storage stock and needs the pad width to seal off the rear opening to the storage section.

Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
The HK stock doesn't have a solid back? If it did, just use a utility knife to trim the pad to your desired thickness. HK parts lists a slim stock, though it's out of stock.

Posts: 9956 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
The HK stock doesn't have a solid back? If it did, just use a utility knife to trim the pad to your desired thickness. HK parts lists a slim stock, though it's out of stock.

The wide comb of the HK stock translates into a wide butt, covered by a wide butt pad. Similar wide comb stocks have a thin butt pad, like the Magpul STR, SOPMOD by LMT/B5, and others. Whiile they have the narrow butt pad and wide cheek rest, they don't have the convex butt that the HK stocks have (Magpuls being a bit concave, most others being flat). I actually prefer the shape of the Magpul over a lot of others.

The slimline HK stock doesn't have the wide comb/cheek rest.

One suggestion I have is the Limsaver pad. It's a thicker, somewhat squishy, gel pad with a nicely grippy surface. It might give you the grip and comfort of the HK stocks. I have one on one of my Magpul CTR stocks and I like it a lot - not enough to add it to more guns, but I'm definitely not taking it off. It can likely be added to a Magpul STR that has the wide comb/cheek rest.

Posts: 6030 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rustpot gets it. Thanks man. I'll look into the Limbsaver pad.

I went to Curt's here in the metro area and checked out a few stocks...gravitated toward the Magpul STR...likely a good option, especially with their enhanced rubber butt-pad. Their MOE SL pad looks like a good option as well. I'll have to read up on the SL stocks and see what that's about, as the SL-S could work just dandy. I'm kinda ignorant about stocks, unfortunately.

Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dehughes:
Rustpot gets it. Thanks man. I'll look into the Limbsaver pad.

I went to Curt's here in the metro area and checked out a few stocks...gravitated toward the Magpul STR...likely a good option, especially with their enhanced rubber butt-pad. Their MOE SL pad looks like a good option as well. I'll have to read up on the SL stocks and see what that's about, as the SL-S could work just dandy. I'm kinda ignorant about stocks, unfortunately.

I've got an STR (I don't think I have any spares but I'll look), I can see about putting the Limbsaver on it.

The enhanced butt pad is still quite firm if I remember right. I suppose it might have a bit more give than the standard flat/hard rubber, but I don't recall wanting anything to do with it. I haven't handled the HK stocks to know how the butt pad compares- in my head it's got some rubbery/spongy give to it.

Posts: 6030 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Definitely look at the VLTOR E-Mod. It is my first aftermarket stock, very beefy and comfortable. I also have no issues with the CTR/MOE stocks either, so I haven't paid close attention to the dimensions.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rock-N-Ruin
posted Hide Post
My preference is the LMT & Vltor E-Mod for many years.. Magpul's CTR just didn't work for me..

Posts: 243 | Location: Wa. | Registered: August 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To Do What is
Right and Just
posted Hide Post
Another to look at would be the BCM sopmod. I use the standard BCM stocks and their pad dimension so far is my favorite (used to use the ctr's till I switched over on sbr's). I like vltor imod a lot as others have said, but that thing will occasionally grab on to my beard (mine is always kept very short keep in mind) and rips hairs out.

Posts: 2439 | Location: Usually Somewhere | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
VLTOR are nice but depending on model a bit grabby on a beard Smile

I put gaffing tape on mine so it doesn't grab.

Great company, great product!

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7179 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post