SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    speaking of Sniper successes on the battlefield...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

speaking of Sniper successes on the battlefield... Login/Join 
posted
Random thought of the day

We hear from time to time about really long range sniper shots that take down enemy combatants.

Have you ever heard of single shots taking down multiple enemies?

Like a .338 Lapua or .50 Cal round capable of penetrating two targets lined up in the right aspect?

I have not, but it is theoretically possible given the power of those cartridges.

Just curious if there were any published accounts that were out there, mentioned in books, etc.

--------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
The Daily Mail had a story about a SAS sniper that killed 3 with one shot from a .338 Lapua (through head of first, through chest of second, ricochet into neck of third) but the originating source looked very suspect to me.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vincent317
posted Hide Post
The Discovery or History channel had a show not long ago about American Snipers. There was a documented 2 for 1 and, if I'm not mistaken, it was with a .300 win mag.

Posts: 593 | Location: NC | Registered: July 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
Not from penetration thru several targets, but i laughed at This one.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
the Telegraph wrote about SIX with one bullet "Lance Corporal in the Coldstream Guards hit trigger switch of suicide bomber whose device then exploded, Telegraph learns"

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Although some skepticism has been expressed about the truth of sniper stories appearing in the British press, there is absolutely no reason why more than one person couldn’t be wounded with a single shot. With the open tip match bullets that US military snipers use, it could even happen with the 308 Winchester cartridge, not to mention 300 Win Mag, 338 Lapua, or 50 BMG.

Concern about over-penetration is in fact one reason (along with better ballistic effectiveness) why some authorities strongly recommend that law enforcement snipers use expanding bullet loads rather than the usual match ammunition that is a carry-over from military practice.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post