SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Styer AUG?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Styer AUG? Login/Join 
Picture of fnforme
posted Hide Post
I'll be the contrarian.

My experience stems from owning a Tavor and an AUG A3. Both rifles are well built and of extremely sound design. The AUG definitely gets the edge for machining and the overall awe factor when you take it apart and inspect how everything interacts.

However, I use my guns and run them hard in classes and competitions. A few issues developed with the AUG that caused me to sell it and keep the Tavor. First is the trigger. The trigger on the AUG is abysmal. In my final range sessions with the AUG before I sold it I rapid fired five or six mags through it. It wore my finger out and I started pulling the trigger with two fingers. Sure, I may be a pansy, but my Tavor has a Geissele trigger that's nothing short of perfect.

Second, the charging handle placement on the AUG us horrendous for using a forward QD sling and the charging handle interferes with the use of an optic. You will hurt your knuckles charging the weapon if you use an optic. I had a low profile mount and an Aimpoint T1 and it still happened.

Third, the factory mags have a lip on the rear which is how the mag locks into the receiver. This lip made the mags incompatible with any of my AR magazine pouches, as they snag something terrible.

Fourth, no left shoulder firing. There are some techniques to mitigate this.

Overall, I just prefer the Tavor because it exhibits none of these problems, all of which were very serious impediments to actually using the rifle for anything but shooting at the range. I ran my Tavor in a Costa course and was able to win first place with it by shooting a perfect score on a timed accuracy test. I'm confident in its abilities and absolutely love it.

Posts: 3419 | Location: Miami, FL | Registered: April 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post