SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Styer AUG?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Styer AUG? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
There is a NATO stock kit that you can install that will accept AR magazines. You do lose the last round bolt hold open feature though I believe.

I have an AUG A3 with the standard stock. Love it. I held the Tavor but I just prefer the AUG.

The new AUG's being produced here are excellent.

NATO stock retains the A1/A2 type bolt hold open.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2322 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JoshNC:
NATO stock retains the A1/A2 type bolt hold open.

Ditto
The NATO stock comes with its own trigger pack that has a BHO device which is slightly different than the original trigger pack, it has a finger(?) that catches on the NATO mag follower to activate the bolt stop just like the AR.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5707 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of awa762
posted Hide Post
These AUGs are incredibly beautiful and seemingly very functional. Better than a SBR in many respects. Just as compact but far superior performance in 5.56mm. What's not to love, except for the respectable acquisition cost, especially if AUG mags must be bought as a part of getting into a new rifle system.

Does anyone know of reliability caveats with using the NATO stock? I.e., something not quite right due to deviating from the original design and AR magazine variability galore?

Is there any reason why the available AUG trigger upgrades won't work with a NATO stock version?

Join and Support the NRA

Posts: 180 | Location: Greater New Orleans Area... see us on the news??? | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by awa762:
These AUGs are incredibly beautiful and seemingly very functional. Better than a SBR in many respects. Just as compact but far superior performance in 5.56mm. What's not to love, except for the respectable acquisition cost, especially if AUG mags must be bought as a part of getting into a new rifle system.

Does anyone know of reliability caveats with using the NATO stock? I.e., something not quite right due to deviating from the original design and AR magazine variability galore?

Is there any reason why the available AUG trigger upgrades won't work with a NATO stock version?

The two trigger packs are identical, with one exception - the NATO trigger pack does not have the spring-loaded tab on the AUG pack - this locks into the rear of their proprietary magazine.

The NATO stock has a bump on the receiver end; if one plans to use the extended top rail, that bump requires some careful modification.

The AR mags are designed for side latches, so the NATO stock has some differences; if you ar used to the AUG stock, a little bit of familiarization at the range would be recommended!

EmptorMaven:

As for trigger mods, there are 3rd party options to improve the weight and feel of the stock trigger.

Trigger Tamer
Neu-trigger (better than stock)
or
Ratworx 20/20 TSM-S (this!)

The smaller trigger parts can be a little difficult to work with, but if you have some mechanical inclination ... I recommend qualified gunsmith perform the work if you are at all apprehensive.

Another subject that often comes up, is the charging handle. This can be improved with available options from Gear Head Works or Manticore Arms.

With a charging handle change and trigger improvements, the AUG becomes a great go to rifle.

RatWorx:
http://www.ratworxusa.com/search.php?string=AUG

... I've had my AUG for a few years; the collective knowledge on AUG's is a welcome thing. At the range, there's often someone asking me what SBR is that ... and the occasional movie buff. Not that any of that is a reason to own an AUG ... it's the platform that I'm accustomed to.

Yes I have an AR - Wyndham Weaponry SRC - yet the AUG goes to the range more often than not, even if it's just half a mag for functionality ...

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of awa762
posted Hide Post
Cjevans,

This is wonderfully helpful information. Thank you for contributing this!

Seems that the NATO stock is not a lukewarm solution and does allow reliable use of AR magazines.

It's surprising that AUGs are not more mainstream in gun discussion these days. They have a lot to offer.

Join and Support the NRA

Posts: 180 | Location: Greater New Orleans Area... see us on the news??? | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
That top stock must be an A3 as the A1 and my A2 only has the mag release at the back of the mag, which is a huge change in training, and the other reason I switched to the NATO stock ... I'd forgotten about the bump you have to remove!

I've got a couple of the Trigger Tamers in my packs, and have been very satisfied with them but also curious about the 20/20 FCG housing ... I think they were the one that came up with using an AR trigger components, and have seen someone that had them post, but I don't remember where ... they were very pleased with it but I've never been able to find it for sale.

To side track a bit, I wish they would make a Switchback Charging Handle for the Scorpion EVO!

Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimberkid:

Just curious, what do you have do to suppress the Sabre Defence AUG? Change the gas valve?
No, it's just a standard A3. They just have a significant pop from the gas port and aren't particularly quiet when suppressed. I just installed the ratworx thread converter and a Saker mount.

Someone makes an AUG-specific suppressor setup that includes an extention to the gas cylinder that's supposed to be really quiet. But it's a PITA.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3210 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
ah, it's ratworx

https://youtu.be/uQqZkS9Hro4

Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
another fun vid
https://youtu.be/sXvUtvC7nxs

Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
https://youtu.be/rm63bh6DxZs

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
My firearm buying habits have slowed down but I think I see a NATO AUG in my future this coming year.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
My firearm buying habits have slowed down but I think I see a NATO AUG in my future this coming year.

I bought my NATO stock kit from Pete Athens, it came with the stock & hammer pack & maybe the forward grip for $350 ... but that was 10-15 years ago ... A quick look at his site showers he still carries them, now $450

posted Hide Post
I have a chance to buy a NIB black A1, any idea what I should offer?

Posts: 635 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by homie:

When first offered for sale, a NIB black 16" A1 w/all sold for between $3250 and $3500. All were Gun South/GSI imports.

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2191 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I'd likely buy a new AUG already in the NATO config.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I would offer $3k, with a hard stop at $3600.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2322 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
quote:

For the price I would go for an A3 with an Acog.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3600 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JoshNC:
quote:

I would offer $3k, with a hard stop at $3600.

Is this NIB A1, a pre-ban 906 series? Matching serial numbers? Then maybe mid-$3k for value.

What are you prepared to pay?

andyb: +1

If you are set on the A3 bullpup platform, for $3k plus you instead, get a new Steyr AUG A3 long rail (or the NATO body for all those PMAG's you have?), a Trijicon ACOG 1.5x16s or the ACOG 1.5x24 on the optics ready rail, a sling and bulk ammo. Light and simple does it well.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
I'm running a 4x Acog on mine. At the rear of the rail the eye relief is perfect. A friend has the 1.5 and that works nicely as well, I just wanted a little more magnification.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3600 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an Aimpoint Compm4 on mine right now in the factory mount and it sets up wonderfully.

What, me worry?

Posts: 2126 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: September 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post