SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Styer AUG?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Styer AUG? Login/Join 
posted
A very nice young man let me try his Styer AUG at the range and I was very impressed with the platform, I also like the handling of the platform and seem to very smooth cycling rifle. I know the rifle has been around for a while and was wondering about the long term owners how reliable and expensive is to maintain it and how is the availability of parts?, how does it stack up against the Tavor?

Posts: 929 | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
The Steyr AUG? Steyr.

Against the Tavor? I'd take the AUG any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Against the 95, I'd have to own both. Ignore the Tavor, do not pass go, and go straight to the 95.

As far as the AUG goes, reliability is not an issue, and good luck wearing one out. It's the grand daddy of bullpups, and will serve you well. I don't mind recommending it.

I will soon own bullpups for Kel-Tec, Steyr, and IWI. I have an AUG A3 now, and I had a USR years ago. It is a solid choice.

As far as Tavor, basically everything I didn't like was corrected with the 95.

Of all of them, the AUG feels most comfortable to me, but if you want to hang doodles, dangles, and baubles, you should go with something else.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
arc pretty much nailed it.

I bought a Tavor because they were all the rage ... for a while, I was highly disappointed, but I was comparing it to an AUG of which I've owned several over the last 20+ years and many of the people that were raving about the TAVOR had never owned a bull-pup before. It took a while but people finally realized that after they spent $1,700+ on the rifle, $350 for a decent trigger, changed out the top rail because it's not compatible with popular accessories on the market and then changed out the forend ... they had spent another $500 and still wasn't as good as the AUG ... I've not handled the 95 but have heard from many people how it is a vast improvement over the TAVOR.

Over the last 35-40 years I've owned every Bullpup available in the states except the new Kel-Tec's and the FN FS2000 ... which is so ugly I just couldn't bring myself to do it ... the only AUG's I've ever sold are because I've upgraded ... from the original design, to the Special Receiver (wish I'd kept one of those!) then the USR ... then I bought one of the green AUG A2's (only 62 imported) ...

Sometimes I think about getting an A3 but it doesn't do anything my A2 wont do ... and as arc pointed out, you won't wear it out!

If you're only going to get one ... get the AUG

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
The AUG is probably my favorite choice of bull pups. If I had to pick one I'd pick the AUG A3 all day long. The only thing I can complain about is the trigger and that's the same story for most, if not all, bull pups. It's just different and probably the only thing I'd sink money on if I bought another. The Australian model of the AUG (I forget the name) is supposed to be coming to America. Even then I'd still stay AUG.

Posts: 6005 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
The AUG is pushing 50, but the concept of the Bullpup goes all the way back to this guy named Garand, in the late 20's. That's a century, kids!

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10X-Shooter:
<snip>
The Australian model of the AUG (I forget the name) is supposed to be coming to America. Even then I'd still stay AUG.

15 or so years ago, there was a Forum, StyerAUG.com IIRC ... a guy on the form had access to these posters, produced by for the Austrilian military as well as ammo pouches, stripper clips & a few other trinkets ... Anyway, back then the Austrilian military designation was the F88 ... a few years ago when I finally had a place to hang mine I had it framed.

About that time there were also a handful of A2 receivers brought in as "repair parts" so there may be some non-matching A2 AUGs floating around too, but that's how you tell a genuine A2 from one built from repair parts, the receiver doesn't match any of the other numbers, there were 38 black and 62 green; so if you are looking for one of the 100 genuine A2's be aware!

posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the reply's.

Posts: 929 | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
I shoot long guns lefty so I had to get the LH bolt for my Sabre Defence A3. Great rifle. Depending on your optic mount you might want an extended charging handle also. If you plan to suppress it can be tricky and expensive. That is pretty much all the downsides I can think of.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3188 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1KPerDay:
I shoot long guns lefty so I had to get the LH bolt for my Sabre Defence A3. Great rifle. Depending on your optic mount you might want an extended charging handle also. If you plan to suppress it can be tricky and expensive. That is pretty much all the downsides I can think of.

Just curious, what do you have do to suppress the Sabre Defence AUG? Change the gas valve?

I suppress my Styer with the 16" barrel by just installing the suppressor mount. Mostly I shoot 62 grain Silver Bear which isn't as hot as some other ammo's and it runs fine suppressed.

Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
What's the opinion on the Microtech AUG Clone?
Last seen in 2007...

Posts: 2295 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen an Aug in a gunshop for years, but have seen probably 50 Tavors in that time span and they all sell. They are very popular for good reason. They are ergonomically friendly and very reliable. I loved mine. Only got rid of it cause I'm a boring AR guy at heart.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:
What's the opinion on the Microtech AUG Clone?
Last seen in 2007...

I had an MSAR XM17-E4 - 18" heavy barrel. The E4 body meant AR mags compatible ... it had a different feel to the Steyr AUG but was nonetheless, great to use at the range. There was little in the way of parts inter-changeability between MSAR and Steyr.

Hard to find (now watch several popup for sale!), I think there might be some spare part kits from Microtech if you ask.

Top: MSAR XM17-E4, red dot clone, PMAG 30rd
Bottom: Steyr AUG A3, ACOG 1.5x16s, AUG 42 round

MSAR XM17-E4 with Burris 1-4x20, PMAG 30rd

Both have a long trigger pull and that takes a little bit of adjustment, particularly switching between AR and AUG platforms. The long pull can be improved with some after market parts from the likes of ratworx. There was a complete re-work someone did of the AUG trigger pack, using AR components that improved the feel.

That long pull had two reasons that I thought of
1- the military version has a semi and full auto trigger; pull back half way, semi; pull back fully, auto.
2 - the trigger is well forward of the trigger pack location and that's a long travel to transition.

Both have forward assist - pull back on the charging handle about an inch, then fold the handle in towards the stock and push forward.

I sold the MSAR off a few back ... preferred the Steyr and still do ...

Another thread reminded me to switch the current config back to HD role - Primary Arms red dot/LaRue LT751 + Nitecore and a sling.

I have Troy trijicon micros for the A3 rail - the sight radius is too short for my liking - in comparison to the Wyndham SRC AR I have.

The rail config is better suited for optics/dots anyway.

The A3 platform is different to the AR and can take a little getting used to, particularly with ejected cases zipping right past your ear.

Switching to the weak side takes bit of practice to get the grip right; essentially the leading edge of your right palm becomes the deflector. With practice it's not as bad as that reads!

There is a LH bolt for the lefties; the ejection port cover is moved from one side to t'other.

One really good bit of advice to impart - many of the dot/scope mounts have the nuts/QR on the left hand side; change these over to the right side, your left hand knuckles will thank you!

Use the charging handle with the left hand palm up just the same!

Below is a circa 2013 pic (not mine) of the updated ADF (Aus Defense Force) EF88's.

Top: EF88 with 16” barrel shown with Ase Utra suppressor, Trijicon TA44SR-10 1.5×16 ACOG, and folding foregrip.
Centre: EF88 with 20” barrel, fitted with Trijicon 4×32 BAC ACOG, Madritsch ML40AUS grenade launcher, and Thales Australia-designed quadrant sight with mounted Trijicon RMR.
Bottom: F88SA2 (current Australian Defence Force service rifle) with RM Equipment M203PI grenade launcher, Knight’s Armament Company quadrant sight, and standard 1.5x ring sight.

I would highly recommend handling one first at your LGS ... the current price of the A3 means a definitive decision to buy a bullpup over the AR - heck you could buy two entry level AR's or a really top shelf AR with all the toys.

If your intention is to hang all kind of fruit and nuts to the A3, I would discourage you from doing so ... the A3 is short platform in many aspects, keep it simple and light.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Styer AUG is next on my purchasing list !

Posts: 141 | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They always make me think of the films Die Hard and Predator 2.

Posts: 4652 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Great discussion!

I have a few questions.

Are there options that permit using AR magazines with the Steyr?

Are the "Alabama Steyr's" OK?

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
There is a NATO stock kit that you can install that will accept AR magazines. You do lose the last round bolt hold open feature though I believe.

I have an AUG A3 with the standard stock. Love it. I held the Tavor but I just prefer the AUG.

The new AUG's being produced here are excellent.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
mbinky spot on , as usual! Smile

I've to have tried the Tavor out at a range; it just didn't sit right in these little wombat paws. I would have to spend a lot of enjoyable, time and re-train. That's just my opinion, the Tavor is loved and liked by many.

The MSAR was a great setup with a NATO stock; had left and right ejection ports and no issues with PMAG's. I would say find an MSAR with the NATO stock, a parts kit, a red dot or a 1-4x or fixed 3x scope and you're good to go.

There is one place I recommend for all your AUG info, purchases and parts ... Pete has been in the AUG business for some 30 years ... he and his staff are enthusiasts for sure ...

http://www.pjs-steyraug.com/augusrparts.html

There is a NATO stock kit and trigger pack one can purchase.

So, if you have a pile of AR mags and don't want to invest in AUG mags, then spend for the kit. The NATO stock trigger pull is at 9 lbs - the A3 stock trigger is about 10-11 lbs.

The standard and NATO trigger pack differ - there a spring loaded tab on the back of the AUG trigger pack that locks into the AUG mag.

I will say that I have never had any issue with the AUG mags ... dropped, plopped, splatted and trod on ... never broken or malfunctioned. But at $40 for a 30rd AUG mag, the inve$tment can be umm, questionable by SWMBO. I have a couple of 10 rounders, 10 x 30 and 10 x 42 round AUG mags.

A couple of things to know about this Steyr NATO stock/trigger conversion kit:

There is no bolt release. The only way to get the bolt forward after it locks back on an empty magazine is to use the cocking slide on the front of the gun.

Only the right-side trigger bar reaches all the way to the trigger pack.

The magazine release button - uses the standard AUG mag release lever, but the button is flush in the stock - easier to push than the lever behind the magazine.

Sorry lefties - cannot be adapted to left-hand ejection.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
Some of the most fun I've had was shooting a friends full auto AUG. Pull the trigger to the normal length for semi auto, pull a little further past semi and you get either 3 shot burst or full auto (depending on how it is configured). His is full auto. No muzzle lift, almost no felt recoil to speak of. Real easy to keep on target!

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
^^^^^

Exactly!

Very much an enjoyable and controllable platform.

Kerry Packer

Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I only shoot mine with the NATO stock, and yes it does have the last round hold open ... its been so long ago I don't remember if the original design has that or not ...

Some guy have seen this before, and some are probably tired of seeing it whenever an AUG thread is brought up ... but here's mine and the accessories / options I've acquired over the years;

Ammo pouch, holds 4 30rnd mags; Black and Green Bayonets; 16", 20"(the number matching original) and 24" barrels; Brass Catcher, factory scope with bikini covers; sling, stripper clips; muzzle cover; gun pictured with optional optic rail and NATO stock; 42, 30 and 10 round mags, owners manual; factory target; Original stock with 30 round mag ... and I forgot the cover that keep the cleaning kit from falling out of the butt stock when you remove the butt pad ... I'm always forgetting something!