SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    AR assembly books
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AR assembly books Login/Join 
posted
The buffer thread got me thinking. Besides the government manuals what other books and videos
are worth buying?

Bill

Posts: 1755 | Location: El Paso, Texas | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
Army TMs and manufacturer's armorer manuals, ( when you want/need to get technical ) and on line sources such as Brownell's.

There are a bunch of other books and on line sights for this work, but you'll start to get more opinions, bubba's and You Tube 'certified gun smiths', so be wary.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I don't know about worth buying, because I never read it. But I have a copy of Walt Kuleck and Clint McKee's The AR-15 Complete Assembly Guide. These are the same two guys who wrote the same, well-respected, manual for the M-14. Send me a delivery address (email in my profile), and it is yours. It is even autographed by one of the authors, which one I cannot tell, because the signature is sort of like mine. Smile

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

I don't know about worth buying, because I never read it. But I have a copy of Walt Kuleck and Clint McKee's The AR-15 Complete Assembly Guide. These are the same two guys who wrote the same, well-respected, manual for the M-14. Send me a delivery address (email in my profile), and it is yours. It is even autographed by one of the authors, which one I cannot tell, because the signature is sort of like mine. Smile

Thank you For the kind offer. I will send you my address.

Posts: 1755 | Location: El Paso, Texas | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BillF:
The buffer thread got me thinking. Besides the government manuals what other books and videos
are worth buying?

Bill

If you are truly interested in the AR platform, suggest you attend an armorer course.

The Colt AR15/M16 Armorer course is a waste of time and money.

The Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer course (William Larson) is worth the time and money.

http://www.colt.com/Catalog/Pi...Combat-Unit-Rail-Gun

The website sucks, but his course is excellent.

tp

Posts: 908 | Location: TX | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
If you're wanting info beyond just the technical basics of assembling an AR, here are a few other AR books worth checking out:

First is the two volume "Black Rifle" series by Collector's Grade Publications, which is an excellent comprehensive historical overview of the design and development of the M16/AR-15 family.

The first volume is better than the second; I'd recommend starting with that one. Book 1 covers the predecessors and development of the AR up through the mid-1980s, and Book 2 covers updates and new designs from the mid-1980s through the early 2000s. (So don't expect the latest and greatest stuff to be in there; they're history books, after all.)

http://www.collectorgrade.com/bookshelf4.html

Next, Kyle Lamb's "Green Eyes & Black Rifles" is a good overview of fighting with a modern AR-15, including the basics of stuff like barrel length and twist rate, zeroing, reloading, malfunction clearance, stance, training drills, setting up a sling and other accessories, etc. (Though some of the info - especially on accessories - is slightly dated, having been written ~10 years ago.)

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would also suggest the books by Glen Zediker. This is if you ever want to compete with or extend the capabilities of your AR-15.

http://zediker.com/

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Next, Kyle Lamb's "Green Eyes & Black Rifles" is a good overview of fighting with a modern AR-15, including the basics of stuff like barrel length and twist rate, zeroing, reloading, malfunction clearance, stance, training drills, setting up a sling and other accessories, etc. (Though some of the info - especially on accessories - is slightly dated, having been written ~10 years ago.)

Since my package to BillF had not yet left (carrier pickup tomorrow), I just opened it up and included a copy of Green Eyes & Black Rifles. Further cleaning of the antiquated bookshelf Smile Bill, same tracking number.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Since my package to BillF had not yet left (carrier pickup tomorrow), I just opened it up and included a copy of Green Eyes & Black Rifles. Further cleaning of the antiquated bookshelf Smile Bill, same tracking number.

Thank you again, this is very generous of you.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g4tx:
quote:
are worth buying?

Bill

If you are truly interested in the AR platform, suggest you attend an armorer course.

The Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer course (William Larson) is worth the time and money.

tp

A armorer's course sounds like it would be educational and a lot of fun. I will have to think about attending one.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by g4tx:
quote:
are worth buying?

Bill

tp

A armorer's course sounds like it would be educational and a lot of fun. I will have to think about attending one.

No idea how I included a link to the Colt Rail Gun rather than the SA website...

Correct link(s):

http://www.semperparatusarms.com/

A very accurate review of Larson's course:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/...-15-armorers-course/

Article by Larson:

https://primaryandsecondary.co...he-ar-15-gas-system/

Regards,
tp

Posts: 908 | Location: TX | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Walt Kuleck and Clint McKee's The AR-15 Complete Assembly Guide.

THIS !!!!

Posts: 342 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: September 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
And of course U-Tube will have about anything you need too. One may have to sift through a few to find a good instructional video about the procedure in question.

U-Tube has saved my bacon a few times.

Posts: 6129 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I received the package today. Thank you again.
I have a three day weekend coming up so these will give me something to new to study.

Bill