SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Weaponlight
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weaponlight Login/Join 
Picture of jezsuiz
posted
What should I be looking for? Everything I have read seems to be recommending surefire scout or x300. Just want to see if there is anything else I should look for/at as I know almost nothing about flashlights other than they emit light. Thanks.

Posts: 556 | Location: NE not new england | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
Streamlight is another brand to take a look at...

Posts: 1244 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
You want to decide what range you will need the light at.

It's not so much an issue of lumens as it is the bezel configuration.

Something with a wider bezel is going to toss a more concentrated beam. Usually that means a larger sized light.

Something like an X300 is going to throw a wider beam which will work better close up, but even with a lot of lumens, might no get you that spotlight effect further out.

Concentrated light isn't always so good--if you are searching in close quarter, sometimes it can be good to have a light that has more of a spread-and-bounce effect. This effectively gives you a larger field of view and a "laser" focused white light. Also, you may not want to point your gun at everything in your search area, so having a wider beam means you can cover an area with light, but not necessarily your muzzle.

Second thing to consider is switching controls. If you want a pressure switch, make sure the light you're looking for has a provision for that. This is not an issue with Surefire as their weapon lights all have tailcaps or some other way to attach a pressure switch. However, if you go with something else that's basically just a bolt-on flashlight, there might not be a pressure-switch option.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What are you using it for? What are you mounting it on? How much are you willing to spend.
Depending on your needs a surefire G2X Tactical ($70) in a VTAC mount ($25) might work perfect for you.

Posts: 4579 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:
Depending on your needs a surefire G2X Tactical ($70) in a VTAC mount ($25) might work perfect for you.

That actually works surprisingly well. The only problem I've had is that side pressure on the tail cap will activate the light.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:

That actually works surprisingly well. The only problem I've had is that side pressure on the tail cap will activate the light.

Interesting, I usually, mount my light in the high position to the left of the FSB and I don't have that issue regularly. However the tail cap doesn't shield the button from side pressure as much as the stream light ones do. That could be the isse.

Posts: 4579 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It depends on what you are using it for, do you have a railed handguard? Just get a Surefire G2X tactical and your choice of mount and you will be set. I think they are 320 lumens scouts are 500 to 600 for the fury. I have run Foursevens, Surefire G2X tacticals, and scouts. As far as mounts I have had good luck with the Voltor SMQ-OCG QD mounts. The scouts allow pressure switch if that matters to you. Really the placement of the light is the most important, can you get to it with either hand.

Posts: 1491 | Registered: December 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:However the tail cap doesn't shield the button from side pressure as much as the stream light ones do. That could be the isse.

It's not really the button, just the side load on the cap causes contact. I'm actually thinking of replacing mine with an M300, but still consider the G2/G2x a viable and affordable option. The occasional inadvertent activation is a small annoyance.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jezsuiz
posted Hide Post
It will be used mainly for home defense or in a defensive matter. Not looking for an offensive search light or anything. I have an m-lock hand guard, has stanag top rail

Posts: 556 | Location: NE not new england | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
Highly recommend Inforce WML or WMLX. The new WMLX is like 800lm I think, I have the older one on my rifle and it's 500lm, plenty of light. The regular WML is 200lm I believe.

Nice and low profile, easy thumb activation with either a standard grip on the handguard or a vertical/AFG installed.

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:However the tail cap doesn't shield the button from side pressure as much as the stream light ones do. That could be the isse.

It's not really the button, just the side load on the cap causes contact. I'm actually thinking of replacing mine with an M300, but still consider the G2/G2x a viable and affordable option. The occasional inadvertent activation is a small annoyance.

Intresting. I'll try it on one of mine when I get a chance. You might want to look at a newer model Fury, same mount higher out put. The older fury's body's weren't the best for mounting, the newer knurled ones are a big improvement. I've got the 500 and 1000 lumen furies.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jcat:
Highly recommend Inforce WML or WMLX. The new WMLX is like 800lm I think, I have the older one on my rifle and it's 500lm, plenty of light. The regular WML is 200lm I believe.

Nice and low profile, easy thumb activation with either a standard grip on the handguard or a vertical/AFG installed.

And it has an integral 1913 mount. Just make sure to grab the 2nd gen. Some folks (not all) had issues with the first gen.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I use X300s of various makes and also have some WMLs.

The X300s are more robust and I like that you can also move them to a pistol at some point - but the WMLs are nice as well, economical but a long gun only kind of item.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jezsuiz:
It will be used mainly for home defense or in a defensive matter. Not looking for an offensive search light or anything. I have an m-lock hand guard, has stanag top rail

With a 1913 rail attached the VTAC mout will work as will the WML JCAT mentioned.

Another option from IWC. I prefer this configuration with carbine length hand guards (7 inch) as it pushes the light forward and next to the FSB (I use a traditional grip, no VFG and I operate the button with my thumb). I use the same IWC mount linked with an older pre MLOK MOE forearm without issue. I don't know how well it works with a metal rail.

posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm trying one of those on carbine #2 right now. I find the pushbutton a bit more finicky than the tail cap on a Surefire. It seems like you really need to make sure your thumb is pressing dead center on the rubber to turn it on.

Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I'm trying one of those on carbine #2 right now. I find the pushbutton a bit more finicky than the tail cap on a Surefire. It seems like you really need to make sure your thumb is pressing dead center on the rubber to turn it on.

See I don't seem to have any issues with my WMLX. I have a narrow midwest keymod rail and a BCM short vert grip and either way I grab the rifle I don't have any issue activating the button.

I keep mine in momentary mode personally.

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a gen 1 WML on a thorntail mount on a KMR and my experience mirrors JCAT's. I'd look at your hand positioning and see if it is working against you. That said if the WML isn't working for you, try another WML or a different option.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CD228: That said if the WML isn't working for you, try another WML or a different option.

That's why I'm considering the M300