SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Brownells BRN-180 Upper For AR Lowers ("Modernized AR-180")
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brownells BRN-180 Upper For AR Lowers ("Modernized AR-180") Login/Join 
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
Meh. If you want to make an AR-180 clone, make one with a proper 180 lower, side folding stock, and standard 180 handguard.

Don’t see the appeal of this.

This. And, I own a Sterling AR-180.

I got excited for a minute thinking I can run a Nodak lower and make for a nice shooter version. But...alas, no.

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
If these things take off, someone's bound to come up with a dedicated lower receiver - the market's just as much awash in standard AR receivers as it is ARs, and I can't be the only one who looks at these things and thinks "folder".

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
I like it. I don't need one, but I like it.

Ditto.

I want it, but I can't explain why.

If it runs well suppressed I'd be interested as well. $800 for a good complete upper isn't that much. Paired with an empty Law folder I'd be pretty happy. But I'm a lefty so I like left side fold and right side charging.

I didn't try to look very closely at the barrel, but I hope that jam nut setup doesn't mean there's not a proper shoulder for suppressor muzzle devices to seat against.

Posts: 6029 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Meh. If you want to make an AR-180 clone, make one with a proper 180 lower, side folding stock, and standard 180 handguard.

I assume their logic is that if a proper AR180 is what you want, for the most part people can simply go out and buy a real one relatively easily.

That said, I do agree that they shouldn't use the word "retro" in respect to this gun because it is anything but.

Posts: 10831 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darkest2000:
That said, I do agree that they shouldn't use the word "retro" in respect to this gun because it is anything but.

Eh, it gave birth to the SAR 80 and the Enfield L85. In gun nut terms doesn't that at least make it a MILF?

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
In gun nut terms doesn't that at least make it a MILF?

Nope
Nope
Nope
Nope
Nope
Nope

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They need to change their marketing angle and market it more towards the true side folder MCX style world. Its a good price for a true non buffered style AR upper. Not too many options out there other than the MCX for bufferless "AR" uppers.

Posts: 24 | Registered: January 09, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darkest2000:
quote:

I assume their logic is that if a proper AR180 is what you want, for the most part people can simply go out and buy a real one relatively easily.

Not sure that one can buy a proper real AR-180 easily. The original AR-180s don’t come up that often, and even the more common and cheaper Sterlings are fairly pricy. The bastardized AR-180Bs aren’t seen that often either and weren’t all that popular with the polymer lower and ban-era features like the fixed stock and integral muzzle brake.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not sure that one can buy a proper real AR-180 easily. The original AR-180s don’t come up that often, and even the more common and cheaper Sterlings are fairly pricy.

There are several on GB right now, all under $2k.

Posts: 10831 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Personally I could care less about any connection to the AR-180. Brownells never said this was a "reproduction" AR-180 but a "modernized" version. Of course it's not the same. I'm looking at a cool piston upper that that fits on a standard AR lower and doesn't require a buffer tube. One of these on a spare Colt lower I have with a KNS Precision folding stock might be pretty fun.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
it seems interesting and a decent design. if it takes off for them, id hope for an 8-10" 300blk one for a pistol with one of the new folding braces like the SB fs1913 or something.

Posts: 774 | Location: FL | Registered: November 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
It’s interesting and I really like the set up. Any design that dumps the sproingy elongated tube is a winner, especially if it proves to have a long service life. That said, the price seems a little on the high side- the R&D and production costs could not possibly be so high to demand it. It isn’t a roller-locking HK with a high degree of machining involved. When the price drops to below $500, I’ll be more interested. It will help offset the cost of the side folding components.

Until then, direct impingement doesn’t bother or inhibit me so much. Especially when complete rifles of good quality can be had for less than the current cost of admission.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Yea I like it. Although the charging handle seems a little funky to me. If this is popular I'm sure someone will make a replacement.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
FWIW, the guy in the SHOT Show vid said they'd be making different versions of the charging handle.

Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
The more I think about this, a 11.5" BRN-180, side-folding adapter and Tailhook equipped lower would make a great truck gun

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Looks cool but I’m a lefty and I would be thinking that CH would come off and bonk me in the head. I wonder how it runs suppressed? Should be a lot less gassy than a DI or short stroke.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post