SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    How to protect engraving on a receiver?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to protect engraving on a receiver? Login/Join 
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted
What's the best way to protect the bare aluminum on a receiver that's been laser engraved and thus has no anodizing on it?

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think anything is needed. It will form a protective oxide layer and not go beyond that.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I just leave mine "in the white" where it was engraved. Not sure it's going to really experience much wear 3/1,000th of a inch below the surface.

If something is scratching my receiver enough for it to wear the engraving. I probably got bigger worries.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8837 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can use Alodine, it forms an oxidation and prevents any further corrosion. you'll apply it and then remove it almost immediately.

Posts: 236 | Location: SDF | Registered: January 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
I don't think anything is needed. It will form a protective oxide layer and not go beyond that.

This.

Aluminum quickly forms a passivation layer of aluminum oxide. It won't corrode unless exposed to a corrosive agent.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Following engraving, clean engraved area with Acetone and apply Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black. (assuming a black receiver).

In my experience, it works well and makes the engraving appear to be original to the receiver.

This is the product Ident Marking Services uses after they engrave a black AR receiver.

https://www.brownells.com/guns...-black-prod4941.aspx

tp

Posts: 908 | Location: TX | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post