SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Questions about PMI Mini-14 mags
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Questions about PMI Mini-14 mags Login/Join 
posted
A family member has some PMI-Precision Mag Industries- Mini-14 magazines from a rifle the father had for years. They are not stamped on the base plate but everything points to them being PMI made mags- from the location of the witness holes in the sides, quality of the metal, staking marks,formed metal around base plate, etc.. I have found not all PMI mags were stamped on the base plates. I even found a Bingham Ltd. 40 round magazine in the pile,has the waffle stamping near the mag. witness holes--- had to really search to find out who made it and found it by luck. I assume these are pre-ban era mags-maybe? Are these worth shooting and are they reliable? I have found limited info. on these and was wondering if anyone ever ran into these mags and can shed some light on them.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
my experience is 20-rd PMI mags are good to go

IIRC - during the ban they were a readily available reliable 'hi capacity' mag when actual Ruger mags became unobtainable

once Ruger resumed mass producing 20 and 30 rd factory mags -- the PMIs lost their place in the market

I'm sure a mag expert will chime in shortly but I have a couple PMIs that are 100%.

these are not to be confused with Pro-Mags of course

-----------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:

these are not to be confused with Pro-Mags of course

-----------------------------------------

I learned that the hard way. Frown

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
All true. I have seen PMI mags in the original poly bags that were not stamped on the baseplate.

PMIs were considered a (close) second only to factory. Before Ruger opened standard cap mags to general sale, they commanded a bit of a premium. Maybe they'll still have some collector value going forward.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16263 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
All PMI magazines are preban.

PMI went out of business before the 1994 Federal Assault Weapons ban.

From what I have heard, they were very good Mini-14 magazines.

Verifying an out-of-the-bag magazine as PMI is a different story though.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
For the record; here are some pics of PMI stainless and blued 30 and 40 round magazines.

I have only seen PMI maker marks on stainless magazine floor plates.

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2184 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MG34_Dan:
For the record; here are some pics of PMI stainless and blued 30 and 40 round magazines.

I have only seen PMI maker marks on stainless magazine floor plates.

Those are exactly like the ones I have in blue. Thanks for the replies

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had 7 PMI 20 and 30 round mags for the Mini-14. I bought them new in the 1980s. They were all very reliable.

Posts: 270 | Location: Iowa | Registered: April 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
PMI mags actually had one possible advantage over the factory equivalents. They were shorter than the corresponding Ruger 'zine, due to the fact that the latter used the longer "anti-tilt" followers, necessitating a longer body. Sometimes you even had trouble fitting longer mags inside mag pouches.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16263 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post